- - - - -

GE Almost Caught Fire Tonight....

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:24 AM

That could have been a serious problem if you had gone into the house and then the wires melted!

Glad it wasn't worse than what you have shown us in the photos.

• Mr Electrak and CharlesDes have said thanks

#17 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:10 AM

Chassis grounding in an Elec-Trak is definitely a no-no  , Mixing low current  surge sensitive devices with those brute hi torque motors probably calls for some surge protection on added lights etc .

An elevator control room I have been working in has no earth grounding for Radio Frequency suppression or proper high current loop protection . Caused me a lot of grief to solve rf stray radiation problems just this week . Got it done with vertical separation of receive antenna and very noisy lighting system .

Making sure the current is properly routed is the name of the game .

• MH81 and Mr Electrak have said thanks

#18 Titus ONLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,696 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:38 PM

I have to admit here, I feel very lost right now.

Cards on the table, my biggest issue in life and it always has been, I'm a hands on learner. I can look at all of what you've written, but unless I see it or its spelled out so my dog could understand it, I just can not catch on.

I decided to ground to the cab, which is connected to the GT. Big no no, I get that now. My question is, why? Is the frame electronically positively charged? What am I missing?

floating ground? Two wires, one pos one neg, I get that. So from now on, with this machine, ground is going to the battery and pos is going to the battery. Both will have fuses on them.

I need help in learning these machines. There, I said it. I will also say thank you all for putting up with me and all questions I'm going to have.

• MH81 said thank you

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:24 PM

The frame is not part of the electric circuit in the tractor, if you make it part of the circuit eg adding lights and running the ground through the frame you can have a problem if there is a short circuit to the frame in the drive motor, from moisture, ???. The short might be minor and go unnoticed until adding the lights wired through the frame.

You said the tractor was smoking and moving forward on it's own.

Maybe wet conditions caused some kind of a short and the wire to the frame cause the tractor to move forward completing the circuit.  ???

Try rewiring the lights with 2 wires and a fuse, see what happens. ???

#20 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:58 PM

The original wiring was rated for flexibility , durability ( think overheating and nicks ) and all weather temp adaptability for cracking , splitting , stretching etc etc . Very high quality . One fine fellow from METI explained that tidbit as a consideration for OEM considerations .

The wire quality , sizing , and fusing were all factors that were not left to chance . It took a lot of abuse to burn one up after it left the factory .
  • Mr Electrak said thank you

#21 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 322 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 04:36 PM

The fact that the wire on these machines (Elec-Traks) is still flexible, has readable numbers, and still going strong 40 years later, tells the quality of the wire and parts used.  All of my ETs have the original controls/wiring and all work great.

As to general wiring guidelines, always properly size your wires for load, length of run, and application.  Properly fuse your work as well.  A fuse does no good if the wire melts before the fuse blows.  There are plenty of chart/guides online for reference.

Good luck on your repair.  You are lucky you had as little damage as you did.