So my night was fun....almost had a fire with the electrak in the garage. I recently put some LED lights on my snowcab, wired everything last week. I took it today to plow with and everything worked great. I'm backing it up my driveway with my LEDs on and things seem fine. Into the garage we go, door shut and park.
I park it, turn the switch to deactivate it, and I'm smelling something. I'm smelling that plastic burning smell. I check under the seat, nothing...then I start seeing smoke from behind the dash, the GT moves FWD pinning itself against the garage door. It was acting as if it was stuck in Fwd. I couldn't for the life of me move that machine.
Thankfully I have a two bay garage and popped the other to vent the smoke. The wires, which you can see I had running up the side of the cab to the ground were coated in a plastic wire connector. The ground was red hot, bright and glowing.
I knew it was hooked to 12Vs only, so I grabbed a nearby stick and ripped the wiring down, that seemed to stop the flow of energy and things calmed down from there. The GT then stopped pressing against the door and I was able to roll it back, then open the door.
Once I could vent the area and go back in, you can see in the 1st photo what I found and circled behind the dash. The ground seems to have been sitting next to that cluster of wires. The heat from that ground must started melting into those wires causing something to happen, making the GT move FWD.
The LEDs are not drawing many amps, the two 10" are 4.5amps ea and the two 4" on the back are 1.5ea.
I have those lights connected on the two batteries in the front, making 12Vs. The black gauge wire was a new type of wire and thinner than the red. I feel like an idiot, as I believe that black wire was too thin and heated up, causing the meltdown of the plastic.
Your thoughts? Anyone have a cab on theirs? Proper way to run the wiring on this so this does not happen again?
My background is golf cars, I've wired plenty of 36 & 48V machines, heck, even from 72V 4x4s. I shouldn't have used different gauge wire, but could it have been anything else that would have caused this?
The GT still functions both in F & R.
Thank you for your time.