Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help , old faith JD318 quit last night, and its snowing again!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 03:43 PM

Is the gas valve on?
  • Jehtro said thank you

#17 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Did u turn off the gas valve by accident?
  • Jehtro said thank you

#18 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:11 PM

I got playing with it a bit today on my lunch hour, I think its a vacuum. The goods news is that its doing it all the time now, which in my mind is easier to troubleshoot.

It wants to run with full choke , and I can't get past 2/3rds throttle. Called my father who laid up with a bum knee, and he told me to run it up as fast as I could and hold a rag over of the intake. I closed the intake off to about 90% closed and it started to clean up.

He thinking either intake carb vaccum leak, or vacuum leak through fuel pump, but I'm not seeing the oil level increase or nor does the oil smell like fuel.

It looks like the intake has been split open once before and sealed back together.

Going to try and get out to the shop tonight, but my wifes working afternoons and its hard with young kids.

JK

@Cumminsdeere87 , I think your right , thanks for this,

I bet your intake manifold under carb is leaking. Mine did same thing when it would get hot. Its like the metal would expand just enought. You can reseal it with special rtv. Fixed mine. When it starts surging spray some starting fluid by the intake manifold. If it clears up while u spray. Theres your problem. Let me know

Edited by Jehtro, January 12, 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#19 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

cumminsdeere87
  • Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:19 PM

I know its hard with kids. While its running rough spray some starting fluid along the intake manifold where it splits. There is only one type of sealer used that works so if its already been split.... i have a concern but it will rule it out
  • Jehtro said thank you

#20 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'm, I never looked it to be honest, man I'd feel stupid if that was the problem. I'm going to look tonight.

#21 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:27 PM

Hmm, dare I ask then?

It seems so tied to fuel / air, not an ignition / coil / spark issue

I know its hard with kids. While its running rough spray some starting fluid along the intake manifold where it splits. There is only one type of sealer used that works so if its already been split.... i have a concern but it will rule it out

#22 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

cumminsdeere87
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Let me know if you need help figuring out the problem. I can have you call me and try to help you on phone or something . Good luck!
  • Jehtro said thank you

#23 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 06:18 PM

I'm, I never looked it to be honest, man I'd feel stupid if that was the problem. I'm going to look tonight.

Okay I got home , and looked at the fuel selector switch, it was set properly, started the tractor same thing.

Anyway I don't know why I did, but I flipped to reserve, started it and it sounded better.

So I let it warm up, still better.

Went out cleared my lane and 2 others, then started pushing banks back, didn't skip a beat.

Must be the primary pickup our line? It's right full of fuel BTW.

Jk
  • Alc said thank you

#24 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

cumminsdeere87
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 08:26 PM

There is two lines going into tank. They have screens down in tank etc. You can pull them. May be clogged. You just pull the whole fender pan. Then its easy to get to.
  • Jehtro and danvan54 have said thanks

#25 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:41 AM

If you need to change the fuel lines get the best tubing you can that will stand up to the new gas with ethanol in it  , I bought mid-priced fuel line and it shrunk up after a few years . cumminsdeere87 how do you get to the screens to service or change them ?

• Jehtro and danvan54 have said thanks

#26 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for this suggestion, I would have never thought to try it. I'm guessing its a fuel line / pickup filter.

I think I'm up and going, hoping I can limp through until the weather gets warmer than the beer. LOL, then I'll take it apart.

JK

#27 danvan54 OFFLINE  

danvan54

• Member No: 4271
  • 20 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Glad you seem to have found the problem.  My carb was freezing up lately in upstate NY, the more humidity when the mercury goes back up- the more the problem.  I definitely agree that you should replace all of the fuel lines and the screens in the tank.  Some folks have used tygon tubing with success, and others have put two filters in line- one before the fuel pump and another one between pump and carb- it's cheap insurance against future problems.

• Alc and Jehtro have said thanks

#28 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Glad you seem to have found the problem.  My carb was freezing up lately in upstate NY, the more humidity when the mercury goes back up- the more the problem.  I definitely agree that you should replace all of the fuel lines and the screens in the tank.  Some folks have used tygon tubing with success, and others have put two filters in line- one before the fuel pump and another one between pump and carb- it's cheap insurance against future problems.

My fathers retirement job is part time running delivery for local auto parts, thinking I'll get him to buy some line for me with the work discount. Also thinking of bypassing the selector and goto 1 pickup direct to the fuel filter. I've never needed the "reserve" option. Might just plug the other pickup off.