Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help , old faith JD318 quit last night, and its snowing again!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Ok guys, my trusty 318 quit on me last night.

Its been a trooper for the last 2 weeks, clearing snow, at least 3-hrs. a week, didn't skip a beat.

Anyway last night I started it to make a spot for a trailer, it got warm and when I was putting the trailer into position with it, it died.

Its seems i can get it started again with the choke, then it will run for a bit under full choke, and when I open up the choke to let more air in it dies.

I was able to get it back in the shed, by opening and closing the choke when I heard it about to stall out.

My first thought is gas line antifreeze, it was -16 last night and with the wind chill it was -29. I store it in an unheated shed out of the wind.

So before I left for work I tossed the little ceramic heater underneath, and I'm going to put some antifreeze in the fuel.

Thoughts?

JK 

• Auburn David and chieffan have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like it is definitely fuel related whether it is crud in the filter or jet or the fuel freezing. With how cold you mention it has been I would definitely be looking at the fuel freezing first. Do you think the ceramic heater is going to be enough to keep the air temp above freezing in the shed? I don't think just having it underneath the tractor is going to be enough although it is better than nothing.

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 bill3t OFFLINE  

bill3t
  • Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:01 AM

a little heater under the engine will help alot. my kabota diesel starts alot easyer in realy cold.b

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:12 AM

The shed / shop is insulated for the most part, it actually warms fairly well with a bit of heat inside.

It can be -20 out and the snow will melt of the tractor if the sun is hitting my window.

I must be on the right track , I'm thinking froze fuel / water , or plugged fuel filter.

JK

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:13 AM

I agree, sounds like a fuel related issue.  Like George suggested go with the fuel freezing first then move on to the more complicated T/S.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 03:04 PM

Water in the fuel filter that has frozen would seem to be the problem. Warm it up, run it and see what happens. Good Luck, Rick

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Sounds lie your on the right track to me, ya gotta be careful where you get your fuel. I thy to run the ehtie free gas

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Its funny if that is the issue, you just get winter dumb I guess. I used to put antifreeze in all my gas.

I popped home at lunch, dumped some anti-freeze in the tank, heater was melting snow off the tractor.

Grabbed a new fuel filter as well, hoping she'll come to life when I get home, theres about 2' in some areas of the driveway.

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Many fuel related problems arise from storing in a heated building as any water which has frozen in the bottom of fuel tank will melt and get into your fuel system.  If you park indoors you have to use fuel conditioner constantly ,,,just my opinion...I live in a colder climate and never park anything indoors...This is the time of year to clean out jerry cans as any water will be frozen in the bottom of the tank,,,one of mine had a chunk the size of a baseball which surprised me,,,usually much less than that in the jugs..  

Nice dump of snow you got, 

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Metal cans are a BIG problem in any winter condition.  Moisture will condense in a metal can, be it a storage can or the tank on your engine.  If you have a metal fuel tank, keep it clear full, right up to the neck.  Moisture won't condense where the gas is so no open air space in the tank, no moisture.  Plastic cans and/or tanks do not pose that problem as condensation does not form inside a plastic container.  Good luck with your thaw out.

• propane1 said thank you

#11 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:08 PM

We'll I got home it started right up, cleared my drive, then right at the end it did the same thing,

It was hot, thinking fuel pump? Thoughts?

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Carbs will frost up in cold weather because of moisture in the air and the pressure change at the venturi in the carb. This will cause the engine to sputter and run bad like you say until the crab heats up from the engine.  Some times if that starts to happen after the engine has been running, shut the engine off and wait a few minutes. This will heat up the carb and melt the frost, then it will run ok.  Just a thought, Noel  

Vent in your gas cap could be pluged not letting gas flow to carb.

Edited by propane1, January 09, 2015 - 06:18 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#13 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:56 PM

My gas antifreeze is a bottle of rubbing alcohol. It mixes with the water and let's it burn off. And Chieffan is right about keeping metal fuel cans and tank full to avoid condensation. Find someone that sells non ethanol fuel, add Sta-bil, keep your tanks full and run them frequently and your fuel problems will go away.
  • Jehtro said thank you

#14 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:19 AM

The freezing temperatures you are experiencing is defintely a factor to the fuel/ jets freezing up.
  • Jehtro said thank you

#15 cumminsdeere87 OFFLINE  

cumminsdeere87
  • Member No: 64961
  • 16 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 05:15 AM

I bet your intake manifold under carb is leaking. Mine did same thing when it would get hot. Its like the metal would expand just enought. You can reseal it with special rtv. Fixed mine. When it starts surging spray some starting fluid by the intake manifold. If it clears up while u spray. Theres your problem. Let me know
  • Jehtro said thank you