• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 07:49 PM

I have this idea of using a Massey 1655 snowblower on my Bush Hog HD-12. The Bush Hog HD-12 currently has a Kohler K341 16hp single cylinder in it. The only thing running off of the engine is a direct shaft to the hydro. The Kohler still has the flywheel screen on it. I know quite a few tractors use pulleys or pto's off the flywheel side of the engine. I just don't know how hard it would be to adapt a pulley to my Kohler and if it would support running a snowblower on the flywheel side.

What I was thinking was to fab up brackets to mount the Massey snowblower since I will never use it on my 1655 because it has the loader on it. I don't want to do anything permanent on either the Bush Hog or the Massey blower. The blower has an input shaft with a rag joint on it. I was thinking if I did some sort of bearing carrier on a frame I could put a pulley on it and run a belt from the engine to the input shaft pulley. Am I crazy for thinking this? It would be awesome to be able to use the Bush Hog HD-12 to blow snow with and how rare attachments are for it I don't think I will find a Bush Hog snow blower anytime soon.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:55 PM

George, You can put a strarter/generator pulley on the flywheel side and mount a PTO shaft under the front of the tractor, maybe where the mower and mule drive mount. Then use a flat style pulley as the tensioner similar to the Bolens Tube frame to engage the PTO belt.

• NUTNDUN, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:06 PM

I don't know any thing about bush hog tractors, never seen one , does the engine in it have an electric pto on it ?? My ford 165 has a 16 hp kohler In it and the drive shaft is bolted to the flywheel and has the electric pto on the other end. I guess I'm not much help, but I am wondering how yours is set up ? Noel

You also may need to check engine rotation to make sure it turns the blower the right direction to throw the snow out.

Edited by propane1, January 08, 2015 - 09:11 PM.

• NUTNDUN and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Is the K341 on rubber mounts?

As Noel said, maybe you could use an electric clutch.

How much room do you have in front of the flywheel?

( it's in there reversed to the LGT, Noel)

Any pictures we can see?

Maybe you could make up a bracket that bolts to the frame, at the grill.

On it would be a carrier bearing, and the electric clutch. From there you could run the belt

to the stock mule drive.

• NUTNDUN and propane1 have said thanks

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:57 PM

MTD uses a pulley on the flywheel side to drive it's snow blower/thrower, 16hp B&S.

• NUTNDUN and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:55 PM

Kohlers have drive shaft for flywheel side on many tractors. BUT,  as noted before, you need to decide the direction it is going to give you off the drive to be sure it is correct. I have old PK's ran off the shaft side and pto off the flywheel. The newer plastic kings turned engines around to run off the flywheel side with a shaft like Cubs and others and run the pto off the crank end. The mowers for those are blowing out on opposite sides then, because the direction is backwards from the older ones. You didn't say how the engine is positioned in your tractor. If it is sideways like a wheelhorse, then not sure of what one would do??

• NUTNDUN and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:27 AM

This is going to be a dumb question but don't all the engines mounted with the crankshaft parallel to the frame rails use both flywheel and pto shaft ends ? All mine do , 318 , B-10 though the PKs like Grumpy said have the flywheel forward . 

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:40 AM

I will get some pictures this weekend. The project might be over my head or more of an undertaking than I think it is going to be. 

• propane1 said thank you

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:45 AM

This is going to be a dumb question but don't all the engines mounted with the crankshaft parallel to the frame rails use both flywheel and pto shaft ends ? All mine do , 318 , B-10 though the PKs like Grumpy said have the flywheel forward . 

I don't think that is a dumb question. I think you may be right. The tractors that I have ever seen with the engines mounted front to back have had outputs on both ends. The difference with mine is the Kohler was out of a Wheel Horse and doesn't have anything on the flywheel side other than the screen. My brain doesn't always function like it should and I should have realized that there are quite a few tractors out there that have PTO shafts on the flywheel side. For some reason I had in my mind that you can't have too much tension on the flywheel side of the engine.

Electric PTO might be the best way to go about disengaging the PTO. Trying to setup a tensioner without modifying anything permanently would probably be an issue. I don't have the factory lever controlled PTO clutch for my Bush Hog and it originally had a Wisconsin in it.

• Alc said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Read through this whole thing so I am understanding what you are trying to accomplish. If you can find the pulley adapter for the flywheel end of the Kohler, run a belt down to an electric PTO mounted to a shaft. Off the shaft, run a u-joint shaft out to the blower rag joint (or change that to a u-joint also).  You'll need the u-joints when raising the blower unless pics will show something I am not aware of.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:10 AM

I will get the snow blower drug out from behind the garage and get it inside the garage in front of the Bush Hog. Then I can take some pics and get a better idea on whether or not this is even going to work. With all the postings of the tractors blowing snow lately I think it would be awesome to see that big blower on the front of the Bush Hog :D

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:17 AM

May take a bit of ingenuity, but maybe it can be done. Pics will help a lot, George, so charge the batteries! You really need a small camera so the good one can be saved for shows!

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:31 AM

In your 1655, you still have the Onan?

I'm not at all familiar with those machines. Never even seen one.

How is the onan driving the hydro? Off the flywheel, or pto end

of the crankshaft.

As Noel and GLgrumpy said, rotation direction could be an issue.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:36 AM

I still have the Onan in the 1655 and they have the PTO side of the engine running the hydro and an electric PTO on the flywheel side to run the belts going to the jackshaft. The hydro pump for my loader is connected directly to it. With it being the same orientation with PTO side to the back and both engines run counter clockwise on the PTO side I should have the correct rotation needed to run the blower.

• Alc, IamSherwood and propane1 have said thanks

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:55 AM

Right.

I'm use to the mf1650, which is the other way around