Garden Tractor Forums banner
8K views 41 replies 5 participants last post by  Tomwendt 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
When I got my Super Chief 1450 & Tiller a while back, the tiller mount and belt tensioner were AWOL. Been looking for those parts for some time. Member Tomwendt said he had a tiller, but he lives in NY. I looked elsewhere for the parts needed for a while. Finally I contacted him to see if the tiller was still available. It was and he put it on a pallet and shipped via Fastenal. 10 days and $150 later, I now have 2 of these tillers, with one being complete. Now I can make the missing parts for the other one. I see a few things needing attention on it, but no big deal. Should be easy to fix.

Here's the tiller I just got. The paint is even in decent shape on it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Gas

Fixture Gas Natural material Metal Auto part
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Gas

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Plant Automotive exterior
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wood

Motor vehicle Wood Mode of transport Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Red Motor vehicle

Here the one I got with the Jake.

Plant Font Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Wood Gas

Automotive tire Wood Fender Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Fire hydrant Motor vehicle Gas Wood Grass

The one I just got from Tom is an earlier unit, yet looks much better. Must of led a sheltered life. Tines on both look about the same, very little wear.

Now I just have to get a lift on the tractor. The tiller and pallet weighed in at 200 lbs. Not a lightweight tiller!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Kenny,

Good deal on the Jacobsen tiller. This shipping with Fastenal is catching on. What is the purpose of the half moon bar that wraps around the tiller in the middle of it?
That sets the depth and keeps it steady in the ground. In pic 1 & 2, you can see the end that goes in the ground.

I think Fastenal was very speedy, as it shipped out on 12/31 from Niagara Falls, NY. They called me at 8AM this morning to come get it. $150 for 200 lbs.

#4 ·
Just for the heck of it, I looked up the belt for it. Jacobsen # 326946. That crosses to a NAPA 5L680W, 21/32" X 68". Wanted that documented for future use.

Reactions: TomLGT195
#6 ·
Kenny,

Good deal on the Jacobsen tiller. This shipping with Fastenal is catching on. What is the purpose of the half moon bar that wraps around the tiller in the middle of it?
I found something in the manual that explains the bar usage.

Motor vehicle Font Paper Automotive design Paper product

Attachments

#9 ·
#10 ·
Got out some today. In pic 2 above, if you look at the area around the big springs, you can see a bend in the mount. It was way off to attaching to the Jake. So I tried several different ways of straightening it. Finally got out a scissor jack and used it to push the metal back into a state that allows it to be pinned to the tractor without forcing things. Cleaned some things and put some anti seize on shafts.

Wood Musical instrument Gas String instrument Metal

I got the FF out to take the rest of the tiller off the PU. It'll lift 200+/- lbs.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

#11 ·
Here's a shot of the lift bar for the Hydro tractors. The parts list does not show this bar, only a part #. Also another pic of the tiller.

Water resources Wood Rectangle Road surface Beam

Red Wood Gas Composite material Motor vehicle

Attachments

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got the Jake out today to get the lift mechanism working again. It was not moving very well at all, nearly rusted together. But, a little Mapp gas helped to get it all apart.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tractor Tread

I use a brush for cleaning copper fitting to get the ID's cleared.

Wood Gas Bumper Machine Human leg

Then it all went back together with plenty of anti-seize applied.

Attachments

#13 ·
I started the day trying to figure out how to mount the GM power steering pump. A bit of a quandary as the pump needs to be in front of the grille and way up in the air.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Road surface

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

I put the tiller mount on to help figure things out.

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Tractor Vehicle

Attachments

#14 ·
After thinking about mounting this pump and the mass the mount would be to hold it in place, I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a linear actuator. Surplus Center has 2 that I think will work for around $180. I hope 500 lbs. will be strong enough for lifting the tiller. Since the original actuator's stroke was 4.75", I'll probably have to go for the one with 6" stroke.

#17 ·
Kinda figured someone would have some info on actuators by now!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Found a 6" stroke, 400 lb. force actuator on Ebay for under $100. Thinking about getting it.

Edit: won't work. Hole dia. on mount is too small! Need 1/2", this is .4"

#21 ·
Yes! What size is that one?

#23 ·
What's the stroke length? Are you saying the mount holes are 1/2"? Has it got a brand name on it?

#25 ·
Tom and I have stuck a deal on the actuator. I should have it by next weekend. I need to get out there and fire the Jake up and see why it is not charging. I checked continuity on the stator and it shows to be good. The regulator is one of the older large finned type like what is on the AC416S. Here's a pic.

Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Vehicle door

I cannot unplug it with the tractor running as it is under the fuel tank, between the grill and engine. If it is bad, can I use one of the newer small regulators in place of it?

Attachments

#26 ·
I bought the actuator from Tom pictured above. It got here yesterday. Now to get it mounted. Have to do some noodling on it as it is shorter than the 'stock' one when closed. The original was right at 14". This one measures around 10-3/8". I either have to make an extension or move the mount location. Plus figuring out the wiring as I have 3 wires going down, but only 2 on this actuator. I know which 2 (out of the 3) are for up/down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.