GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:09 PM

I was looking for information on a loader for my JD 140H3 and ran into this video on You Tube. 

Looking for opinions.  Any idea about how much it would lift or if it would hurt the tractor?

Thanks,

• KennyP and Genem have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:38 PM

That's pretty cool. Looks like it works off the tractor hydraulics?

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:43 PM

That's the Buford Bucket, built by a guy named Pete, he did live in Indiana, but I think he moved to Ky somewhere. His brother George built the original one for a 300 series down in "buford Ga" hence the name, then Pete took over and builds a few every years. Decent overall build even though i have heard a few complaints, but Pete quickly will rectify any issues. I think he only builds them for JD.

It's going to be like any other FEL although that only has about a 42-48 " or so vertical lift vs a true FEL will go 72" or higher.

Some will say it puts more street on the frame, but I dunno. I had planned to build one pretty much just like that, but after getting a different tractor, I will build a true FEL.

Do a google search for "bufrod bucket" there is some more videos and stuff on forums about them.

Also search for "Or-bilt loaders" as they are a smaller version of an FEL, but I think they look awkward and hang out front too much.

Here is a quote for Pete about one just a few months ago....

"Hey Tom, your are right I'm a pretty busy guy, I work a fulltime job as well as build these loaders, I guess it does keep me out of trouble, I am blessed with an understanding wife, that gives me a lot of slack on some of the things she wants done around our farm.  I do take a lot of pride in building these loaders and I want to be the first to know of ANY problem with it, and I am human so I do make mistakes but I also make sure to correct them if I do. I was not offended by your post and you did get some very good suggestions on a solution. About the rock of which I have many on my farm here in Kentucky I don't know what it weighed, but I do know I can pick up 525 lbs with my 332."

• hdg4400 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Been thinking of looking at at a bucket for mounting on the quick hitch on the new PK/Snappers. Kind of a Johnny bucket system. I don't really need a loader per se, yet think a fork-lift like unit would be neat. Would want option for buck or forks. Bucket would just be a wheel-barrow replacement for yard work really. Forks would be nice to at least lift enough for trailer or box loading of pallets of parts say. This one looks real nice.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 02:43 PM

I like it. The loader isn't so bulky and I am sure it is quicker to dismount than a Johnson loader or similar. The only thing I didn't like seeing is you can see the frame by the grill of the tractor flex a little when he lifted the front of the JD off the ground. Even still it would make easier work of tasks around the house. I would like to know what the weight capacity is. 

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 03:34 PM

That's pretty cool. Looks like it works off the tractor hydraulics?

It is running off the front remotes on the 140H3 and is moving pretty quickly when empty..  Should also work on several other JD tractors.  It looks like it lifts a little higher than the Buford bucket but hard to tell.  We use a small probably 20 to 25 cubic foot manure spreader and it should lift high enough for that.

IThe only thing I didn't like seeing is you can see the frame by the grill of the tractor flex a little when he lifted the front of the JD off the ground. Even still it would make easier work of tasks around the house. I would like to know what the weight capacity is. 

Might be the bottom mount points on the front of the tractor are worn some.  The 140 we have the snowblower on is that way and we get some play there when lifting the blower.

Not sure if the same guy built both of the because when I look at the two of them side by side there are a couple of little difference but I suppose it is normal since they are hand built.  Might be a nice little project.