• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:08 AM

After reading Dr Bolens great article on tubeframe tractors and a brief conversation with OldBuzzard, it has got me thinking about my G12.

I picked it up at auction a few years ago to add to my collection without giving it too much thought. After talking to someone in the UK I realised that it is a bit of a rare beast and especially rare in the UK because all Bolens tractors are rare. To add to the rarity it has the hydraulic lift option fitted.

I am unsure if it is totally original or has some parts from another tractor, and perhaps some of you experts can help. It has the clutch and drive shaft arrangement like a G10 but the 6-speed rear axle and diff lock like the G14. The clutch and drive shaft look original but it is possible that a different rear end has been fitted. In it's current configuration it has 12 forward gears and 4 reverse from the high/low change lever and the manual belt change. What do you think?

Howard, the UK importer of Bolens added a "Howard Bolens" decal on the top of the original Bolens decal on all tractors, which you will see from the picture.

Bolens G12.JPG

Many thanks

Iain

• NUTNDUN, blackjackjakexxix, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,690 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Welcome to GTT

Feel free to make yourself at home, lots of Bolens ind information here.

Nice looking G12

I would say someone swapped our your rear end with one from a 6 speed model, its starting to become a pretty common thing for people to do for some reason.

• NUTNDUN, MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Iain,

A great looking tractor. I look forward to seeing and reading a bit more about this model.

Andrew

• NUTNDUN, MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:19 AM

I know enough about Bolens tractors to get me in trouble. I think the rearend was swapped out. One of dad's Bolens tractors has the rearend swapped till we can get the parts for the original. It currently has 12 forwards speeds and four reverse speeds. I want to say it is his Bolens 900 that we swapped the rear on.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:29 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! It's good to have folks from overseas on here, lets us see what goes on over there! Nice tractor, by the way!

• NUTNDUN, blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#6 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:41 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! It's good to have folks from overseas on here, lets us see what goes on over there! Nice tractor, by the way!

Welcome to the site.

I'm with Kenny on this. I like to see things from overseas also and maybe we can learn new things. I looked at a tractor and didn't know anything about it and there was no markings on it so I left it. German made and was a beast. Bet someone there could have I.D. it.

Edited by cootertom, January 08, 2015 - 05:21 PM.

• NUTNDUN, blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:42 AM

There are definitely some nice machines from overseas. Like Will's Massey Elf and the Bungartz that a local guy collects. 

• blackjackjakexxix, MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:51 AM

"Howard Bolens" must be like family/

• chieffan said thank you

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Welcome aboard the forum. That is very interesting about the swap for the rear end. 12 forwards speeds is really wild. In high range on the tranny and high range pulley that thing must go 50mph  :bigrofl:

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and chieffan have said thanks

#10 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:46 PM

Welcome aboard the forum. That is very interesting about the swap for the rear end. 12 forwards speeds is really wild. In high range on the tranny and high range pulley that thing must go 50mph  :bigrofl:

It works the other way around, in high range on the tranny and the high range pulley it has the same top speed a normal 3 or 6 speed. The extra gears you get allows the tractor to drive extra slow, which is great for pulling out stumps.

Iain

• OldBuzzard, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#11 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:43 PM

It works the other way around, in high range on the tranny and the high range pulley it has the same top speed a normal 3 or 6 speed. The extra gears you get allows the tractor to drive extra slow, which is great for pulling out stumps.

Iain

I wondered about that.

I have a G11 with a 1050 rear end in it and did put it in 1st gear Lo/Lo once for a video.

If it could get enough traction, I think it would pull a house  :D :D :D

https://www.youtube....Xc5LyoDSnOOsWBw

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and chieffan have said thanks

#12 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Welcome to GTtalk...

#13 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Iain

That's interesting.
I have a Howard step down transmission in my Ford 640 farm tractor.
It was made by Howard roto Vator of England to facilitate a Roto tiller.
If the "Howard" that imported Bolens to england was the same company, they may have seen the value in the extra slow speed and had Bolens make it that way for them?

Joe
  • WrenchinOnIt and chieffan have said thanks

#14 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 02:01 PM

This is my g12. I believe it to be all original except for the seat. I feel I stole it for its condition and apparent rarity. I have always found it hard for much info to surface on this model, are they truly rare? That being said all Bolens in my area or rare. This was my first GT and first Bolens, I knew nothing about them other than it was stunning and build like a small tank. I like to think anything build before my birth in 88 is much better than after. I plan to slowly get this tractor in show condition. Even the stater gen is still original. I does need a head gasket which makes her a bit temperamental to start but runs great when warmed up. It have 6 forward and 2 reverse which I beleive is original. Looking at it, very little has been done to it before I bought it. Any inside into the rarity of this would be great. Thanks.

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,690 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Welcome!

I assume your talking about the tractor in your profile picture?

Some are going to tell you otherwise but I would not consider the G12 Rare at least in the USA. Since I do not live in the UK I cant say if they are "scarce" or not, but it sounds like they are in your area atleast.

They were only made 2 years and were not the most popular machine to buy as at the time you had the G14 and H16 to compete with it for a little more $$ most people bought the bigger HP machine thus you see less of the G12's

• chieffan and AA Hayes have said thanks