#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Not sure why some are cold and others warm in same climate?  I'm the cold one here. finally agreed to 70 on thermostat and we both live with that. I have hot water heat and not seperate upstairs and may get warmer up there than down. She sleeps on top of covers, me under. Her ceiling fan on, me off when I go in later.  My father always wore long underwear in fall thru late spring. Guess it must run in the genes then? I see more and more of my older family using seperate bedrooms because of issues like this. Guess when the LOVE is gone,  wants over take the need for company, hee! My daughter spends all day turning on and off the electrics they have. Told here to set them comfortable for each room and LEAVE alone. She doesn't!  There bills go sky Hi running mostly off a couple of baseboards, instead of a little off each.  I'ld be afraid of wood heat. Too many times homes burn down because of burners and stoves and someone not there to adjust or fix problems. Plus, would not be able to train wife on correct running and she wouldn't want to go out and pull in wood from pile. Seems like lots of work for a modern world. I'm too old to go out in woods and cut trees and haul and split.  Plus, when do you get time for all that?

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:47 AM

We're both 60 & pretty much share the same except when her hot flashes hit. When she has these she just conveniently throws the covers off & onto me. I wake up in a sweat with double covers on.
  • Alc, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Not sure why some are cold and others warm in same climate?  I'm the cold one here. finally agreed to 70 on thermostat and we both live with that. I have hot water heat and not seperate upstairs and may get warmer up there than down. She sleeps on top of covers, me under. Her ceiling fan on, me off when I go in later.  My father always wore long underwear in fall thru late spring. Guess it must run in the genes then? I see more and more of my older family using seperate bedrooms because of issues like this. Guess when the LOVE is gone,  wants over take the need for company, hee! My daughter spends all day turning on and off the electrics they have. Told here to set them comfortable for each room and LEAVE alone. She doesn't!  There bills go sky Hi running mostly off a couple of baseboards, instead of a little off each.  I'ld be afraid of wood heat. Too many times homes burn down because of burners and stoves and someone not there to adjust or fix problems. Plus, would not be able to train wife on correct running and she wouldn't want to go out and pull in wood from pile. Seems like lots of work for a modern world. I'm too old to go out in woods and cut trees and haul and split.  Plus, when do you get time for all that?

You can train your body to handle the cold but you may not be comfortable. I heat with wood and it does take alot of time. I have always taken the time because it saves money and it gives me a safety net if the power goes out in a severe winter storm. In DEC73, CT endured a very bad ice storm that left many without power for over a week in very low temps. Many houses couldn't heat themselves so, their pipes froze and they were left with huge repair bills. My old man was ready(Siemper Paratus). He had wood and two fireplaces in the house plus a generator to run the boiler every 8 hours to bring up the heat for awhile. My 2 woodstoves allow me to keep the house comfortable with or without power.

A cord of dry hardwood firewood will give the the same amout of heat as 200 gallons of #2 oil. Burning wood is my excercise program. Good Luck, Rick

• Cvans, Sawdust and Oldford have said thanks

#19 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:12 AM

Women love electric blankets...

We bought a 2nd hand pellet stove together, road trip, I got to fix it up and install it.  She got to order the pellets (delivered) and lug in the bags (my back is shot).  I'd light it, she'd pour in the pellets, everyone has a stake and "rights" to the thermostat. 

We also share duties on the wood stove.  It helps to have a wood burner on the main floor so if someone is cold s/he can camp out in front and crank it up.

Plus she loves her electric blanket

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:33 AM

I'ld be afraid of wood heat. Too many times homes burn down because of burners and stoves and someone not there to adjust or fix problems. Plus, would not be able to train wife on correct running and she wouldn't want to go out and pull in wood from pile.

Seems like lots of work for a modern world. I'm too old to go out in woods and cut trees and haul and split.  Plus, when do you get time for all that?

You are right.  Wood heat is not for everyone.  My ex once poured hot coals under a pine tree then went to work.  I was home working in the yard that day and saw the smoke.  If i hadn't been home the whole property could have burned, it was after a dry, hot summer. 

Now i am vigilant about having an air-tight metal ash can and taking care in disposal.  Other 2 causes of house fires on wood are usually combustibles too close to stove or else chimney fire.  Also vigilant about both.  Also stove and chimney maintenance.  Here in maine the local fire chief will inspect your stove & chimney for free

I'm too broke down to cut 4 cords a year.  We buy our wood from a local guy, helps the local economy, and we stack the wood together, good for bonding and warming up in fall.  I have a saw and small splitter for trimming up the occasional monster sticks.  

Plus once a week i get some seat time, whether tractor, truck, or snowmobile, hauling in a load for the wood box.  Just one way of doing things...

"wood warms you three times, cutting, stacking, then burning"  or something like that

Edited by Oldford, January 08, 2015 - 11:05 PM.

• boyscout862 and EricR have said thanks

#21 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:54 AM

It can be 80+ and my woman is wrapped up in a heavy sweatshirt. Go figure.

#22 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:31 PM

My wife is on blood thiner for a blood clot that was removed from her leg in July there is no happy med for her to cold to hot

#23 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:31 PM

One of the best things we purchased was a car with dual heat and heated seats. I no longer have to drive half undressed when we travel.

If you think an electric blanket is the answer just buy one with a single controller. That's guaranteed to start a fight.

At work we had an inspector who would complain that it was too warm in the work area. My boss asked if there was something we could do about it. I installed a dial thermometer in plain sight that was fixed to stay below a set temperature. No more complaints.  :smilewink:

Edited by Cvans, January 08, 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:39 PM

You are right. Wood heat is not for everyone. My ex once poured hot coals under a pine tree then went to work. I was home working in the yard that day and saw the smoke. If i hadn't been home the whole property could have burned, it was after a dry, hot summer.

Now i am vigilant about having an air-tight metal ash can and taking care in disposal. Other 2 causes of house fires on wood are usually combustibles too close to stove or else chimney fire. Also vigilant about both. Also stove and chimney maintenance. Here in maine the local fire chief will inspect your stove & chimney for free

I'm too broke down to cut 4 cords a year. We buy our wood from a local guy, helps the local economy, and we stack the wood together, good for bonding and warming up in fall. I have a saw and small splitter for trimming up the occasional monster sticks.

Plus once a week i get some seat time, whether tractor, truck, or snowmobile, hauling in a load for the wood box. Just one way of doing things...

"wood warms you three times, cutting, stacking, then burning" or something like that

I do not trust my wife to use the wood stove. It only burns when I am home.

Wood hest is fantastic if you learn to do it safely and want to put in the work

2 summers ago I cut a ton of wood. Between me and dad we have near 20 cords stacked up around our properties.

I just finished lighting a fresh fire. I forgot to wake up at 4 am to throw more wood in. Woke up at 9 but just now got the energy to start a fire. Yesterday was a long day with my wife's aunt and helping everyone out. We are going up later to take the dog to the pound since none of us can take it.

We already sleep under separate blankets. I have a single quilt my aunt made and no sheet. She has a down filled comforter fake wool blanket a sheet and reserve blankets on the floor

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 08, 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#25 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,933 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:59 PM

My wife is on blood thiner for a blood clot that was removed from her leg in July there is no happy med for her to cold to hot

That is exactly how it is at our house. My wife has a clotting disorder and will be on thinners for life. And it is always too hot or too cold in the house. It seems worse when we go away, in the van I get froze or sweating.

• AfterShock95 said thank you

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 07:09 PM

ha ha ha  its a battle you cant win, my house was cold one morning and I realized it was a short or some sort in the thermostat wire, I had a new programmable one that I had never installed so I disconnected the one on the first floor at the furnace and installed the new on in the basement, set it to 72 and all was well, now before I could change out the wiring I noticed my wife going to the old disconnected thermostat, turning the heat up, then later going back and turning it down because she was hot, I left it like that for a few days and just watched, she would be playing with that thing all day, too hot, too cold, too hot. when I told her it was disconnected for the last week she was mad at me! go figure

OMG, that's GREAT!!!

#27 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 863 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 02:45 PM

Had old Southernaire Wood add on furnace when be bough the house. I grew up with wood heat Mom even had a wood burning range so I know the work in having wood on hand. I also know that I can keep the house at 74F day and night so all are happy including the cat. We also have a Ashley self standing in the dinning room and I can't remember when we had a fire in it it has been so long.

Well the old furnace had a crack in the fire box so in 2013 I replaced it with this England 28-3500. Now I always though the old furnace was good but this England is way cheaper on wood and heats so much better and best of all the ashes are way easier to get out even though there is no shaker grates.

I was teasing Kare last night when it was zero out side and 11 below wind chill her night gown sure didn't cover much below her waist. I was told to shut up she was plenty warm, I should just watch TV.

Our new add on furnace. Yes I built the fires fire in it outside to keep all the MFG fums from being in the house.

101113_0984_zps49306e5a.jpg

101113_0983_zps3d9a2c18.jpg

Last winter the coldest in recent history I burnt 1/3 less wood than the old furnace.

:D   Al

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#28 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 06:31 PM

When we lived in VIdalia, Ga I had my computer set up in the back room that had an AC unit in it. I would crank it up and close the door. My ex came in one day to get something and turned the AC off and said it was too cold in there and left the room. I could have strangled her.

Steph does pretty good about not running the heat too much. We sleep under separate blankets so that is not an issue. I use a thin blanket and she has 3 quilts the dog and both cats on her. I would have a heat stroke.

• KennyP said thank you