38 replies to this topic

#31 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:47 PM

I sure felt wimpy this morning when I stepped outside in the 3*F. I know it isn't cold compared to other areas, but this boy just ain't used to it. The coffee mug refused to do its job and gave me lukewarm coffee on the way to work. The furnace didn't feel like putting out any extra heat to counteract the wind, so the house was cold and still is tonight yet. 

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:51 PM

It dipped to 5 below 0F here this morning at the coldest point.  I spent about 5 hours outside with temps ranging from -2 to 20F as the day progressed.  Cold doesn't stop me, and in fact, I work faster in the cold......keeps ya warmer!

• Alc, shorty and superaben have said thanks

#33 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 06:23 PM

It got down to 8 last night, but had wind gusts to 40 mph, so the wind chill was way below 0! However, as I type, the temp is 12° at a bit after 6 PM, I expect to be below 0 by daybreak, no wind, no clouds, no heat trapped at the surface.

#34 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Our son lives in Front Royal, similar stuff there, he moved there about 10 years ago and complained because they didn't get any snow to play in with the kids and the Jeep. Well, he's had plenty since!

Now I know whose fault this dirty winter weather is.  Tell him he ought to be ashamed of himself, wishing that kind of junk on the world.

Ben W.

• toppop52 said thank you

#35 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:44 PM

He's paying penance, every time he has to drive into NOVA for work through the snow and ice.
  • superaben said thank you

#36 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:46 PM

We are having a heat wave. 18 degrees!!

#37 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:47 PM

More Sweepster brooming tonight, because you can't get enough of that 2° temp, 30 mph wind putting us at -18° windchill. We got an inch or so of snow today, and it's too cold for the salt to work on the roads. So, this afternoon's commute went from 40 minutes to 120. Got to see lots of accidents, too. My favorite was the dude who slid sideways into a center median and high-ended his Charger. Both bumpers touching, and nothing else.  

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#38 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:38 PM

My favorite was the dude who slid sideways into a center median and high-ended his Charger. Both bumpers touching, and nothing else.  

I bet he had to clean up his leather seats after that.

Some of the accidents are very creative out there in the snow.  My favorites are the idiots who go blowing by thinking they are invincible in their four wheel drive diesel trucks.  About two miles later, you pass them back while they are sitting on the guard rail scratching their head and wondering how they will explain it all to the insurance guy. 

Or the ones who go sliding right at you (the fact that they hit the turn going about 20 MPH too fast is irrelevant) then flip you the bird as if you were in their way. 

Or the ones who have one wheel off the road and spin and spin and spin deeper trying to get out.  I saw one guy really have a brain wave.  He left the car in reverse, got out, pushed it out of the snow, and then fell down on his tail chasing his car as it waltzed away... into another passing vehicle.   I stopped to help him, and when the cop showed up (incidentally following me a couple hundred yards behind) he charged the driver with reckless driving.  The guy looked at me, looked at the cop, then said "I wasn't even in the car!  How is that reckless driving!"

The cop didn't miss a beat.  He said, "I'm not charging you, I'm charging the car and you get the bill since you are its legal guardian until it reaches 21."

That was a hoot.

Ben W.

Or the ones

• MH81, Alc, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#39 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:01 PM

I had a scary one yesterday, moron in 4X4 using only 2wd decided to bonsi it up the hill between the house and barn.  I saw him coming while getting the mail and decided to wait for him before crossing the road, he fishtailed it up the hill doing about 40, nearly lost it in front of the barn and again near the top of the hill, scared the poo out of me! 

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks