#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:57 PM

I am working on my dads allis b-10 and found some damage I just cant figure out, it got me thinking of what the previous owners do to machines.  so lets hear your stories, what is the best or worst thing you have gotten from a previous owner.

I will post pics of mine tomorrow when I get home.

Pete

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Don't have any bad stories really.

Found strange stuff. Weird welding on stuff, bent things I never thought could be bent, and the most annoying of all is when someone takes side cuts, butt connectors, and tape to wiring harnesses.
  • KC9KAS said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:08 PM

I was talking to the original owners of my 1886 forklift, and asked about the bent forks.

They kinda laughed and said "Yeah, we had to have them straightened a couple of times".  They said that they regularly lifted WAY more than the 750 lb. limit that was on the tag of the mast. :D :D :D

When it was being refurbished there was evidence that they had bent the snot out of the hydro foot pedal and rod as well.  Evidently ran into something with it.

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 07, 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#4 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:26 PM

When I got my Jacobsen push mower home from the local auction where I bought it and started to work on it I discovered that 1. someone had stripped the bolt that holds the recoil and gas tank on, and 2.had removed the air filter, gov. link and spring from the engine.

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:04 AM

My Massey MF1855, ran great till I got it home. After 3rd start, the started kicked out....dang, broken bolt means motor gets pulled.

When I get motor out, piece of wood fell out from starter, are you kidding me? Bolt had been broken for some time, they shimmed starter with a piece of wood, guess trip home on trailer jarred it lose. I then found the PTO switch was wired around and the rear PTO driveshaft was removed and gone.

I dunno :(

#6 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 09:08 AM

the worst thing I came across was a bent and broken frame on a wheel horse 520h, the po and his son lifted the rear end off the back of a pick up then let the front drop, bent and cracked the frame right at the foot rail supports both sides, I think its an easy fix, they thought it was scrap got it for $200 and it only has 350 hrs on it, my best buy was a toro z master the owner thought he seized the motor. I bought it for $500 thinking I would change the motor out, but when I got it home I did not think the motor was seized, called the po to get some history and apparently he and his friend could not start it and were using either on it when it stopped turning over, the motor was vapour locked, with in 4 hours I was cutting the lawn at 20 mph the only thing it needed was a new battery and the carb cleaned love it

Edited by farmer john, January 08, 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Nine years ago I bought a non running AC B10 for my son. It looked good and the seat was good. The gas tank had water in it but it hadn't gotten to the carb. When I took the carb apart, it was in very good condition. I replaced the points and condensor and the engine started. It died when trying to accelerate. I played with it off and on for a few days until I realized that the arm attached to the throttle butterfly was backwards. It may have been a new carb with the arm setup for a different machine. The p.o. gave up when it didn't run right. I corrected it and Ricky had many hours of fun driving it through our back woods. That GT is in the garage now getting a replacement engine. Good Luck, Rick

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:51 PM

all I can say about  p o   is  at least blow the grass and grease out before you paint it and call it  REFURBISHED... :wallbanging:

• Cvans said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:28 PM

well here is mine, I am repainting dads b-10 for him while he is away for the winter and there were a few things I knew about needing repair.  one of which was the front frame had been welded by the PO and welded badly so I needed to repair that.  as you can see by the pics the damage was not what I was  thinking, I have seen these frames stress crack rite there but this one looked like they dropped it or drove it of something and smacked the frame rite there where they meet up and broke the frame almost clean off !!

worst part is the PO is my neighbor and he is a very nice older gentleman who I cannot imagine doing something like this.

Attached Thumbnails

• frame repair 001.JPG
  • frame repair 002.JPG
  • frame repair 008.JPG