44 replies to this topic

#31 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hopefully Ford fixed the issues with their V6"s and this one will last a long time( new engine size/ design). I've had 2 of their 4.2 V6's and both blew ( got sick ) with head /antifreeze related issues.  I think the long commute ( over an hour) with a load of tools in rush hour traffic really takes a toll on them. I'm happy to get over 200K as long as the repair bills don't add up. I only run one vehicle so it has to be ready everyday. I can't afford down time swapping engines and tranny's .  

Everyone has their favorite truck, just like GT's.

Tom

• Alc, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#32 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 06:29 AM

Tom , the only thing I'm not too happy with our 2012 F150s is there isn't a external fuel filter , just the one on  the in-tank pump/sender . I don't know if yours is like that . They are using  6 qt  of motor oil in the V6  so that should be good .

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#33 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, we quit selling the 4.2 V6 Fords a few years back due to massive numbers of head/head gasket failures. I understand that is not a problem anymore.

#34 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:50 AM

http://news.pickuptr...kup-doomed.html

going to get worse because of the new regulations. Toyota has already cut all regular cabs for 2016 line up

I can understand the small trucks doing that.  If I were to buy a Tacoma tomorrow I would probably get the double cab long bed for a couple of reasons.  One, it's a small truck and the extra cab space would be nice to have for room.  Second, the longest bed you can get in a Tacoma is 6 feet whether it's a regular cab, access cab or double cab so why not get the longer truck for a nicer ride.  Third, the longer your truck is, the better it seems to tow.  Trailers seem to boss shorter vehicles around a little more.  My truck is a regular cab with an 8 foot bed, full size.  You know, an actual truck as they used to be.  That's what I like.  This is my forth truck and every one of them have had an 8 foot bed and only one was not a regular cab.  Yeah, I will miss it but I have already come to the realization that the truck I have now will more than likely be my last in that configuration.  Anyway, I'm taking the attention away from the thread.  Sorry!

#35 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Tom , the only thing I'm not too happy with our 2012 F150s is there isn't a external fuel filter , just the one on  the in-tank pump/sender . I don't know if yours is like that . They are using  6 qt  of motor oil in the V6  so that should be good .

I'm gonna have to wait to look, hasn't rose above 25º since i bought it. but I suspect it's the same.  yes 6 qts in the old V6 too.  but a tiny oil filter.

• Alc said thank you

#36 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 07:56 PM

but a tiny oil filter.

Probably had more pleats or a finer micron rating in it though.  Wife's Liberty has a fairly big filter where the one on the 5.3 in the GMC I had was tiny in comparison.

• Alc and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#37 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:27 PM

So here's an update. It's been 4 months almost to the day.   The truck now has 31k miles on it. Thats 15k in four months, or at this rate 45k this year!  So far I am very pleased with the performance so far.

I have made a few upgrades too.

It came with just an AM/FM radio, no where to play music from an outside source. I put in a modest stereo with blue tooth capabilities . Now I'm legal to talk and drive at the same time.I upgraded the front speakers and added the missing ones in the rear. Now on long drives I can play my music to relax me. 

Other little ones were vent shades over the side windows, durable seat covers over the cold vinyl, and a sliding rear window, I like that better than the AC unless it's unbearable. I also put on a reese hitch , to haul trailers filled with tractors! :D

The biggest upgrade is lowering the suspension. I lowered it just 2" but that makes a huge difference getting in an out , and loading heavy items in the bed. Plus 2wd trucks should be lower than 4wd ones.The kit also stiffens up the suspension a little, getting rid of that wishy washy ride people like now. Trucks should ride like trucks! If you want it to ride like a car , then get a car!  

The only thing left is to add rear back up lights, the stock ones don't light up anything usable behind the truck.I bought some low profile rectangles to mount under the rear bumper. Very important trying to back up on a job site.

So other than having to change oil every 6 weeks , I like the changes Ford has made to this model over my last one. And now that i personalized it , it should suit me very nicely for the next 5 or 6 years.

Thanks , Tom

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#38 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Yes, I'll get a pic tomorrow. ( it's new lowered look) Too tired tonight. :smilewink:

Edited by TomLGT195, May 09, 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#39 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Glad its serving you well.

#40 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 06:54 PM

Well here is a pic of the truck lowered. 

before

post-29432-0-88310000-1420669572.jpg

after

IMG_1432.jpg

Not much difference, but enough to notice when you use it everyday.

#41 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Nice truck. Ford makes a good pick up and the most America made truck on the road.

I love the looks of a regular cab truck. Almost a thing of the past with the ways the fuel economy laws are written.

what does cab configutation have to do with that? I am so sick n tired of seeing so many 4 door pickups all over the place. and 5-foot-something bed that is all but useless.

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#42 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,226 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:43 AM

what does cab configutation have to do with that? I am so sick n tired of seeing so many 4 door pickups all over the place. and 5-foot-something bed that is all but useless.

I agree it has nothing to do with fuel economy but read the link below

http://news.pickuptr...kup-doomed.html

That link tells the story better than I can.

I know Toyota doesn't sell a regular cab truck anymore because of this.

The most useful pickup in my mind is a regular cab long bed. I never owned one but my friend has a Chevy 3/4 ton long bed and we used it hauling supplies for building the camp and that 8ft bed was amazing.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 17, 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#43 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 12:16 PM

When we were looking for our 3/4T diesel we wanted a regular cab, had to wait 6 weeks for one to come up. Could have special ordered one but that would have taken even longer. The one we got came from out of provence, and that was back in 2006. I agree about the look and usefulness of the regular cab, regular box. These are trucks, not passenger cars with open storage, IMO.
  • UncleWillie and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#44 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 12:52 PM

It is arbitrary stupidity brought to you by the same people who want you to buy carbon offset credits.

• oldedeeres, dodge trucker and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#45 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:29 PM

what I would like to see in my next, new (TO ME) truck

Dimmer switch ON THE FLOOR

Wiper switch ON THE DASH not the turn sig stalk

Wing (vent) windows

Under dash fresh air vents

No rust even if that means going on a road trip to find it

Prefer 3 pedals and a floor shifter but if the truck otherwise suits my wants I can "live" without that one.

Minimal electronics. Even though todays trucks have a "body computer" I still have to hit the button to operate them.... so no need for that body computer. 

even though I ain't gettin younger, AC and power windows is still "optional".

and if the truck I get happens to be carbureted, that would not bother me either.....

Edited by dodge trucker, May 21, 2015 - 08:30 PM.

• UncleWillie and TomLGT195 have said thanks