• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:48 PM

It Runs!!!!!! got it started today after a little tinkering, Need to order a carb kit though to tune her up a bit. Rearend moves in hi and low. breaks stopped the tires while on the jack stands. lift cylinder works but drips, Anyone re-built one? overall looking like I got a steal at $125. 

Great deal at that price. Running engine is exciting. 

The lift cylinder rebuild is not a big job. Unscrew the two hose fittings from the body. They are what hold the end blocks of the cylinder from pushing out. Unscrew the clevis from the shaft. Locate o-rings that will fit the shaft, piston and end blocks. Some have found o-rings at Ace Hardware. I found mine at work in the maintenance department.

• Thomas84 said thank you

#17 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • Member No: 54355
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:57 PM

How do you check the rear end/hydrostatic fluid? It may sound dumb, but I have seen where the dipstick is in the manuals but trying to check mine looks like you need to remove the fenders to come close to it?

VTXrider, Where about in West Michigan are you? Im around Luington.

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:12 PM

Glad you got a runner. If you have a tool box like I have you have to remove it to get to the plug. Some have dip sticks passing through the tool box which is easier to get to. 20w motor oil is recommended but hard to find. 30w is used mostly.

Here was mine with tool box installed as I purchased it.

tt4.jpg

This is the area you'll see when you remove the tool box. No need to take off the fenders or tunnel just the TB. Factory has wing nuts on the TB for easy removal unless they were rusted on like mine :D The fill plug is on top.

assembly7.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, January 11, 2015 - 10:14 PM.

• olcowhand and Thomas84 have said thanks

#19 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 07:38 AM

VTXrider, Where about in West Michigan are you? Im around Luington.

Walker on the west side of Grand Rapids.

#20 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 07:49 PM

I know people have used the mower decks off the yardmans as I plan to. Has anyone used the snowblower on a 990? I haven't found anything on that in search. This is the parts tractor. if anyone needs some parts for a yardman of this style let me know, im keeping the rearend and hydraulics. Thanks again for all input and advice!!   

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00794 - Copy - Copy (2).JPG
  • DSC00795.JPG
  • DSC00796.JPG

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 05:28 AM

I think the spare deck I have is a Yardman.

#22 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:01 PM

Can someone if they have one post up some pictures of the pto drop box or how a stock 990 is coupled up to a snow bolower? my blower is off a newer yardman, the same yardman that has the 50" deck for a 990.

#23 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello again. Im looking for advice and a part im not sure is even being made. The yardman I got the snowblower off of had the PTO shaft going threw the front axel, The 990 doesn't have any front PTO. The previous owner of the 990 cut some of the grill in front of the engine for a custom PTO so in thinking of using it. My question is, I have been looking for an electric clutch from shaft to shaft to put on the front of the engine to control the blower. the only ones im finding are shaft to belt. any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Is this a good idea? Summer and winter grills. First pic is ot the yardman pto. Second is the 990 where the shaft would roughly go. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00797.JPG
  • DSC00805.JPG