• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • Member No: 54355
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Recently I picked up a 990 that came with a disc and snow/dozer blade. A friend of mine sold me a Yardman parts tractor with a 50in mower and a 4ft two stage snowblower. I haven't ran the 990 yet seems it needs some attention(Planning on resto). My question is, Will the 16 briggs be enough to power a 4ft snowblower and big deck? I realize it will run it, just didn't know if it would be too under powered. I looked at the re-power post but, with the possibility of loosing PTO's that wont work. Any input is appreciated.

Planning on it being a daily tractor. Also, Anyone know where to find a throttle cable? Or one that's close to an original?

Thanks a lot!!! Thomas84

• rustyoldjunk and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 rustyoldjunk ONLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Thomas as long as the 32 cubic inch single cylinder cast iron big block Briggs it will have plenty of power. As matter of fact the torque from the single cylinder should be stronger down lower then the twin. The older cast iron single is built to pull all thru the RPM ranger where when the newer twin falls a few hundred RPM off 3600 power will reduce sharply.

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 09:23 PM

The 16 hp k series Kohler in my ford LGT 165 runs a 50" deck without any trouble. Rule of thumb for a blower is 5 hp per 1' of snowblower. I read that some where and believe its a rating for small farm tractors , so I can't say it's right for a garden tractor. I have a 42" blower on my ford lgt 165 and it runs it ok. Depends on the snow and how hard you push it. Noel
  • rustyoldjunk, superaben and Thomas84 have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Thomas as long as the 32 cubic inch single cylinder cast iron big block Briggs it will have plenty of power. As matter of fact the torque from the single cylinder should be stronger down lower then the twin. The older cast iron single is built to pull all thru the RPM ranger where when the newer twin falls a few hundred RPM off 3600 power will reduce sharply.

Jim is right on the money.  You have torque in the old Briggs, while on a V-Twin you have RPM only.

Ben W.

• rustyoldjunk and Thomas84 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:55 AM

A lot will depend on the condition of the motor. If it needs a rebuild then the power won't be nearly as good as a fresh motor. If you slow down your travel speed enough then you can adjust the load on the motor to match almost any conditions. That's one reason I'd like to have a tractor like a Ford LGT with a dual range rear end and hydro. You could creep along pretty slow with a blower on the front and get through just about any deep snow as long as you are not in a hurry. 

• Thomas84 said thank you

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Recently I picked up a 990 that came with a disc and snow/dozer blade. A friend of mine sold me a Yardman parts tractor with a 50in mower and a 4ft two stage snowblower. I haven't ran the 990 yet seems it needs some attention(Planning on resto). My question is, Will the 16 briggs be enough to power a 4ft snowblower and big deck? I realize it will run it, just didn't know if it would be too under powered. I looked at the re-power post but, with the possibility of loosing PTO's that wont work. Any input is appreciated.

Planning on it being a daily tractor. Also, Anyone know where to find a throttle cable? Or one that's close to an original?

Thanks a lot!!! Thomas84

Check first on here with the vendors, place a post in the wanted section. I found a throttle cable on ebay for mine...not that expensive. I checked but none now but keep looking. I agree a lot of torque on these old Briggs.

• Thomas84 said thank you

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Recently I picked up a 990 that came with a disc and snow/dozer blade. A friend of mine sold me a Yardman parts tractor with a 50in mower and a 4ft two stage snowblower. I haven't ran the 990 yet seems it needs some attention(Planning on resto). My question is, Will the 16 briggs be enough to power a 4ft snowblower and big deck?

Later model 990s had an optional 50" deck so that shouldn't be an issue.  I think the biggest snowblower they came with was a 42" unit though, so that may be fine or it may be pushing it a bit??  I guess you'll let us know. :smilewink:

I'm assuming the Yardman is one of the later 995/998/999 models?  If your 990 is a later model that uses the quick attach deck hookup, the one from the Yardman will probably be pretty close to fitting. (It may even be a direct swap??? I don't remember reading of anyone trying this yet.)  If the 990 uses the earlier scissors linkage, you're in for some work.  Also, I believe the blower mounting setup is completely different and the late model blower uses shaft drive while the 990 isn't set up for that at all.  They used a belt drive for their blowers.

• Sawdust and Thomas84 have said thanks

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks a lot!!! Thomas84

Welcome to the 990 owners addiction. Can you tell us the model year or post some pictures of your machine? (We love pictures). 

The 990 variants were produced from the late 60s to early 80s. (10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Hundred models to the 140-990 to the 143-990A, 1970 to 1983, 15 to 16 hp B&S engines).

If you search this forum and MTF, you will find a lot of information and hours of reading. I have a single stage Haban 990 blower that works well. Runs off the front pulley. If you can mount a 48" blower, 16 hp should power it, given the engine is strong. But a later model blower will not mount up to a 990 without modifying, it is a completely different mount and drive setup. Without a picture, The mower deck may or may not mount to the 990.

Ebay is your best place to look for a throttle cable. Search MTD 990 for a current listing.

Myself and many others have parts machines and may be able to help with some parts. Feel free to PM or post a topic on the forums. There are many Michigan owners of MTD 990s.

These machines have their gremlins like every other GT. Carburetor issues seem to top the list. Worn steering parts, broken dash, early model cracked frame. I am happy to hear you are going to restore it.

Edited by VTXrider, January 08, 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:50 PM

You know, you guys keep posting about these MTD 990's they are going to start growing on me. I agree with all the knowledge that has been posted. That 16hp single cylinder in good running condition is just as strong or stronger than a 20hp twin cylinder any day. 

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:06 PM

I have a early 990, 15hp, that has a 42" mower deck on it. Motor doesn't even know it's there, you can cut long, heavy, wet grass going up hill and it doesn't loose any rpms, I'd say it can handle a 50" deck no problem.

Those old heavy cast iron singles have that thump thump I'm going to run forever sound to them.

• olcowhand and Thomas84 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 05:23 PM

I have a early 990, 15hp, that has a 42" mower deck on it. Motor doesn't even know it's there, you can cut long, heavy, wet grass going up hill and it doesn't loose any rpms, I'd say it can handle a 50" deck no problem.

Those old heavy cast iron singles have that thump thump I'm going to run forever sound to them.

Hey, I used to have one just like yours Doug!  :smilewink:   Yep, the big old Briggs cast engines are plenty powerful.  

• DH1, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the great responses!! Im planning on restoring this tractor. The dash is broke and someone at one time cut part of it out to change the ignition switch and put a coil on it. The grill has been cut for in assuming a front pto for something. The deck is a quick hitch and the tractor isn't. Anywat to put a quick hitch on the tractor? The serial number has been spray painted over, Did they stamp it anywhere? Thanks again. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00781.JPG
  • DSC00783.JPG
  • DSC00784.JPG
  • DSC00785.JPG

#13 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 01:30 PM

There may be another sticker under the seat on the tunnel pan or it may be on the dash tower near the serial number sticker. Model will be 14?-990A or no A. There are no stamped numbers. If you post the engine numbers on the top of the fan housing, that will also help narrow the model year. If you could post pictures of the cockpit area, rear area, front and rear wheels and each side view, may may be able to get a close guess what model year you have.

Your front wheel hubs would indicate a later model machine, 1976-ish. Your  mower deck looks to be in good shape. The little I can see of your under lift carriage, looks like a quick attach for the deck you have. The older style is a scissors type carriage. The deck drive shaft needs the other sliding half to connect to the PTO. All parts are still available to repair the deck, including shaft u-joints. 

Edit: If the spindle shafts are bad, they are not available and difficult to find. The bearings are available though.

Attached is a small file for deck and tractor parts info.

Attached Files

Edited by VTXrider, January 10, 2015 - 10:59 AM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and Thomas84 have said thanks

#14 Thomas84 OFFLINE  

Thomas84
  • 27 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 04:10 PM

It Runs!!!!!! got it started today after a little tinkering, Need to order a carb kit though to tune her up a bit. Rearend moves in hi and low. breaks stopped the tires while on the jack stands. lift cylinder works but drips, Anyone re-built one? overall looking like I got a steal at $125. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Steal, that is grand larceny! Great news on it running.