Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Nominations Now Being Accepted for Featured Tractor of the Month for April 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Yep, sure can. Non-winning tractors can be entered as often as you like, providing there aren't any "special" requirements for that month's competition.

All right then ... I want to re-submit this one that was originally submitted by Gtractor back in February.
I like little crawlers and I think he did an excellent job on this one and it has an interesting story that goes along with it.

This is my Struck Minidozer. It was made somewhere around 1970, but the actual year is unclear. Originally it had a seven
horsepower Techumseh engine with rope start. The dozer was inside a building that caught fire and burnt to the ground. You can imagine what happened to the aluminum block Techumseh in that fire.
A fellow by the name of Robert Gattenby from Harrisonville, MO saw the burned shell and decided it would be fun to resurect the little dozer but improve on its design. He bought all new shafts, pulleys, and bearings from Struck and started the rebuilding process. This was in 1981. His choice of engine was a fourteen horsepower Kohler with electric start. The Kohler and its battery wouldn't fit inside the chassis so he added a hood of his own design to cover the new options. Robert was 71 years old in 1981 and decided he didn't want a manual lift to tug on so he also added two way hydraulics. He made a bucket for the front and a ripper lift for the back, although he never made the ripper.
I met Mr. Gattenby in 2004 when he was 94 years young and he decided it was time to part with his little toy. His health was failing and he wanted to know his prized possession was going to be left in good hands. I bought the Struck from him just as you see it here. I have used it very little in the time that I have owned it, mostly taking it to shows. It does have plenty of power and traction to push dirt around. The biggest project I have used it for was to push dirt around my house to improve drainage and keep rain water out of the basement.
Robert Gattenby passed away in 2005.

Attachment 9092 Attachment 9091

Posted Image Attached Thumbnails http://gardentractor...uck-dozer2-jpg/ http://gardentractor...ruck-dozer-jpg/

#32 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 07:32 PM

jdcrawler
that sure is sweet!!!
I want one.

#33 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:04 AM

I am going to throw my Daily work horse in the mix.

This is the tractor that got me into collecting Gt's. It is a 1973 Auto 14 Wheel Horse, with a 14hp Kohler K3212S and Sunstrand Hydro drive, that I bought from my uncle in 2002. I grew up with Wheel Horse, but never had 1 of my own, most of the yards I had early on, were to small for a Gt. It's in it"s work clothes and I hope to restore it when I get the time. I use this tractor mowing and puling a yard cart around about 10 months a year and it has always been very reliable for me. I never thought I would want a Hydro, but I love the fact that I don't have to use a clutch going from forward to reverse.
I own a lot of different tractors now and have owned over a hundred that I have sold or parted out, but I think this will always be a favorite of mine, just because it was the first one I owned. I hope to put a Hydraulic lift on it soon, I have one on the shelve for it, I also want to change out the dash tower, so I can have the hydro lever on the dash instead of between my legs. She has a few scratches and bruises, but she has earned every scar she has on her.

auto14 3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• auto14 3.jpg
  • auto14 2.jpg

#34 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:43 AM

Nice looking wheel horse

#35 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:52 AM

Wow,33 posts to get 5 nominations,that must be a record.:D

#36 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 07:46 PM

I have yet to see a "special" requirement month. How does one predict the month and the requirement in it? Be nice to know ahead of time so those that aren't prepared for the month know to get prepared.

The tractors for December and January had some special requirements. December's tractor was to have snow removal equipment and January's which we voted on in December was to be decorated for Christmas. Other than that most times you just have to nominate a tractor. With spring coming maybe we should do something with plowing or tilling, but wait a little so our members out west and north have time to finish with snow removal.

#37 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:03 PM

THANKS for the nomination jdcrawler!

I saw your '59 tonner over on 'Stak - thats an awesome crawler puller!

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:16 AM

I have yet to see a "special" requirement month. How does one predict the month and the requirement in it? Be nice to know ahead of time so those that aren't prepared for the month know to get prepared.

You haven't been here long enough to see the couple of months we had requirements. The best one was nominating someone else's tractor for ugly tractor of the month :D

If someone would like to create some sort of scheduled months that is fine with me and we can implement it, right now we just play it by ear and whatever the mood strikes.

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:18 AM

Alright, we have 5 nominations. We will accept up to 10 nominations, this thread will be closed tonight and the voting will begin so if you would like to get a nomination in now is the time to do it :D

#40 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Geez do I feel stupid.
If you read my post in this thread (#32), it sounds like I was looking
for a nomination.:wallbanging::brain_fart:

In reality, I'm an unworthy graduate of the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redin Course.
(remember that Cheach & Chong 8 track)

I can sped red, but can't absorb it. I missed the part that JDcrawler was
nominating Gtractors'

All that said,

Gtractor
That is sweet!
I want one.

#41 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 08:36 PM

We all knew what you meant and if you vote for the right tractor this month you will be totally forgiven! :laughingteeth:

Thanks for the appreciation of the crawler.

#42 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:07 PM

The tractors for December and January had some special requirements. December's tractor was to have snow removal equipment and January's which we voted on in December was to be decorated for Christmas. Other than that most times you just have to nominate a tractor. With spring coming maybe we should do something with plowing or tilling, but wait a little so our members out west and north have time to finish with snow removal.

The month to have that would be in June (nominations for that are in May and most plow in April).

#43 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:08 PM

You haven't been here long enough to see the couple of months we had requirements. The best one was nominating someone else's tractor for ugly tractor of the month :D

If someone would like to create some sort of scheduled months that is fine with me and we can implement it, right now we just play it by ear and whatever the mood strikes.

Ya, you are right about that, But still, I had to ask lol. Keep in mind a lot of guys joined up this month so that question benefits them too. A lot of birds with that one stone. :D