• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MTD Tradesman OFFLINE  

MTD Tradesman

• Member No: 2221
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hi there, I am new to GTT and i'm wondering how do I clean a Kohler Carburetur off a John Deere 214? What are it's factory specifications to set it back to? Where can I get cleaner locally (lowes, home depot, ace, tractor supply, etc.)? Thanks and have a great day!

#2 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Any auto parts store (advance, NAPA, autozone) will have carb cleaner. It is in a spray can like wd-40. Basically you take the carb off the engine and totally disassemble and clean everything. Be careful when taking apart not to lose any small parts and there are little paper gaskets in the carb be careful not to tear them if you do the carb will leak gas and you will have to get more. Take a small piece of wire and run through all the jets to open up in case they are clogged with rust gunk ect. spray all passageways with the carb cleaner and basically just clean everything out. It helps to take lots of pictures of how all the linkages are hooked up and how everything is put together before you take it apart so you can see how it goes back together. It's really not hard and it's the only way you will learn. Worse case scenario you have to take all the pieces to a small engine mechanic and have him reassemble. If you don't try you are going to have to take it to a mechanic anyway. Good luck.
  • Rickski and MTD Tradesman have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:25 PM

You will probably want to get a carb kit for this also. Usually you need to replace the bowl gasket.
  • MTD Tradesman said thank you

#4 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Is this the Kohler (Carter) carburetor or the Walbro carburetor? If it's a Kohler (Carter) carburetor, here is a good tutorial on cleaning and rebuilding one: http://mgonitzke.net...arb_rebuild.pdf
  • Rickski, lyall, MTD Tradesman and 1 other said thanks