• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Good morning, All. Thanks for the warm welcomes and ideas. I thought I would upload, side-by-side, the deck in question and the deck the tractor was designed to carry (54" Scotts deck is pictured). The pictures are not the same size or aspect; meaning, the side comparison is for shape only at this point. have not made any measurements; for that fact, I haven't contacted the owner because I didnt want to waste his time about a potential project. All of your input is great.
TOPPOP52- I have not set up my profile yet and am still learning how to use this site. Does our membership automatically set up a GTt email to pm? I will gladly send you the contact info.
This is a good thread! Now...if I could only find a John Deere Sabre, Scotts, or GT275, G100 and I could have used that deck!

There was a JD GT deck for sale on Craigslist locally, I'll check it out. If you decide not to buy that deck, let me know. I'll keep you posted on what I find. You can email me any time at toppop52@yahoo.com.
  • vicamen18 said thank you

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,494 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 07:33 PM

If you contact this guy, he sells dozens of JD and Craftsman decks....
Ask for Rich (302)381-6844.

http://delaware.crai...4822492092.html

Edited by toppop52, January 05, 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#18 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 09:16 PM

vicamen18, have you tried Weekend Freedom Machines? They are a John Deere only (mostly) web forum page that have a good number of knowledgeable members, plus if you become a member they have a want ad section.

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 10:09 PM

vicamen18, have you tried Weekend Freedom Machines? They are a John Deere only (mostly) web forum page that have a good number of knowledgeable members, plus if you become a member they have a want ad section.

WFM deals with JD garden tractors built before 1993, do they not?

#20 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 10:12 PM

Cat, they also have a late model forum and a sub compact forum.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 10:29 PM

TOPPOP52- I have not set up my profile yet and am still learning how to use this site. Does our membership automatically set up a GTt email to pm? I will gladly send you the contact info.

In the upper right of this page is a small envelope. That is our in-house Private Message system.. It's an easy way for our membership to share info they would rather not post in the open for Malware programs to harvest. Like Phone numbers, emails addy's and addresses.

:welcome: to GTTalk

#22 vicamen18 OFFLINE  

vicamen18
  • Member No: 64214
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Good comms. Thanks. Yes, I am a member of quite a few tractor forums including WFM. I will say, this forum has been the best in content, helpfulness, and kindness. I enjoy this quite a bit.

I will make contact with the guy on the Delaware CL ad. If anyone finds a large deck in the Northern VA area, I for one am interested.

My pto is electric. Not sure what kind of mechanic changes would be needed, but I will figure that out. It looks like most garden tractors have the same set up so I would think that most decks should work with some modification. I guess that would be another thread.

After 22 years in the service, I am retiring in a few months. Having a hobby like this helps me keep my sanity as I transition from the uniform to the suit in the National Capital area;)
  • MH81, Cat385B, toppop52 and 1 other said thanks

#23 vicamen18 OFFLINE  

vicamen18
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 12:42 PM

TOPPOP52- You will receive an email with the mower info.

All- thanks for your help. I'll let you all know what I up with. The next step is to post on the For Sale/ Wanted Section once I get 10 posts;)

Kev

#24 vicamen18 OFFLINE  

vicamen18
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 03:06 PM

As an alternative, I was looking at a 60" gang reel mower to trail behind the tractor. A CL lister has a brand new gang sitting in boxes for many, many years. The set of three reel mowers is from Huffman Manufacturing, Inc and I selling them for $175. Huffman became Huffy the bike maker.

I decided not to purchase because I could not find any information on the mowers including pictures, manuals...nothing. Compared to ProMow which runs over $1.000 it sounded like a great deal. However, because of the lack of information I passed on the deal.

For now, I am setting my sights on adding power steering to the tractor. I'll review posts on that topic and, if needed, start a new thread.

Thank you, all, for the great help. I look forward to this everyday; this is a great forum.

Kev

#25 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I have not had much luck with the gang reel mowers. I bought 1 (9.5' cut) for $1600 new 10 years ago. Pretty high maintenance and didnt cut stemmy weeds or clover very good. If the grass was too tall, I had to go over it 3 times to get it to look good.