Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Sandblaster valve and nozzle suggestions.

sandblaster nozzle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:14 AM

We have a smaller pressurized pot sandblaster that I think we had purchased from Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. I can't remember which anymore. It uses ceramic nozzles and of course it goes through them like crazy. I am sure nothing is going to hold up for too long but something has to be better.

The current valve it uses is a ball valve which works. I know some of the deadman valves have a lever that also closes the tip of the valve. Curious to know if anyone has any suggestions on a decent valve and nozzles?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:42 AM

No info on the valves but I do know they make carbide nozzles that fit the generic china-blasters. This was about 15 years ago so I have no idea where we got them but they held up MUCH better than the ceramic ones
  • NUTNDUN, Lauber1 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,347 Thanks
  • 885 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:46 AM

I have never had a problem with ceramic tips wearing.. I do have a lever type gate valve at the tip but the sand I believe wears on the ball causing it to leak  a bit.  I am sure we have similar pressure pots, 4 gate valves on the whole unit.  I would like to hear some other comments, tips here as well. One thing I learned is sift all your sand!  I use a piece of window screen although they do sell blasting sand sifters.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,472 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 12:56 PM

I went through tons of abrasive years ago with an ALC 100# pressure pot from Whitney. It had the deadman valve with rubber blocks to shut it off. Proper fitting of the ceramic nozzles and the rubber blocks made a huge difference on longevity and safety. I will only use the deadmans' valve for safetys' sake. One thing else, the valve has to be all the way on or the block will be damaged by the sand when you are working. I got replacement nozzles and blocks though NAPA. I plan to restore a truck and several tractors next year so I will be digging it out in the spring. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 12:58 PM

I used both style valves and the deadman lasts almost forever but gets a little uncomfortable if you are using it for a period of time.I cheated and slipped a loose loop over the handle.

The quicker you open and close the ball valve,the longer it will last.

If your used sand get damp it can give you problems.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,159 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:23 PM

I use a 1/2" ball valve and a piece of pipe on mine at home, really small pressure pot blaster.  the one at work uses a much larger system with an air controlled dead man valve back at the pressure tank, the only trouble with them is the air lines tend to freeze in the winter.

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 05:00 PM

I use SS valves I get at work from the chemical trailers, they last longer than the brass ones. It really wont matter in the end as sand blasting in hard on tooling. Your probably using just sand? Sometime changing your media to something like walnut shells or black beauty will make the tips and other parts last longer. I never liked the dead man handles as they make my hand sore holding it open. Going to a carbide nozzle will last longer but they cost a lot more up front.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 6,362 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 05:51 PM

TP tools in Ohio is one of the better places to find common and better parts and peices.  Just google?  I get my cabinet tips from them, hardened steel of sort. About $50 for only one, but last long time, even over the metal ones. Would have to look at what they offer in the tank pressure blasters and such.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sandblaster, nozzle