12 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 12:27 AM

Hi.  

I had a corner of my garage with my odd and ends of scrap metal.  My wife pointed out that it took up a lot of room and would look cleaner if it was out side down by the other shed. I didn't want it outside.  But,  had a parts washer I kind of wanted in that same corner. (notice I didn't say she was right) I don't like looking for metal in the dark thats snow covered, in sub 0 temps.  (Tonight its -31 C)  

My solution was to build a portable storage rack.  I had bought a little 2 wheel trailer at auction paid a whooping $7.50.  (think it was a snowmobile trailer from the late 60's).  Put some storage racks on it.  TaDa :thumbs: I store it in my cold storage shed out of the snow etc.  When I doing some metal welding I bring the storage rack ion the garage,  Metal is warm and dry when I need it.  In the summer I can bring it to the garage door .  When I'm done I can take it back down to the shed.  Out of sight out of mind.  

Garage is neater and my parts washer is in the corner were I wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20150103-00676.jpg

• Bud, Gtractor, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 01:01 AM

That's a nice size trailer. I need one of those to mount my diesel generator on. Your set up looks very handy. Do the tires stay aired up?
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 06:50 AM

Good idea to have a portable storage rack. The only issue I see is rusting from condensation when it's stored in an unheated shed. Every time it's cold and the temp rises you get condensation which could end up causing rust. 

• HANKG said thank you

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Same problem here.  Too much "good" stuff and not enough places to put it. 

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:01 AM

Our scrap steel has lived outdoors for many decades. Often I wished we could fix it up on something like this.
Good idea.
  • superaben said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:44 AM

That is an excellent idea.  :thumbs:  My scrap metal gets flopped into a pile.  It is a pain in the you-know-what to get it dug out when you need a certain piece, since of course the perfect piece of scrap is on the bottom. 

Ben W.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 09:42 AM

My scrap/welding metal was a mess, but recently while cleaning the garage I put everything in a cardboard drum about the equivalent of a 55 gal drum. I now have a vertical mess instead of a pile. Still have to dig through it to find what I am looking for, but know where to look?

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:50 AM

The "plant"  has heavy made shelves for there longer stock and supports in between for shorter pieces. Even wood workers have this problem. I still think a good rack along wall, maybe anchored to it, but not ONLY the wall, use good base too is way to go. Need long enough area for say 10 to  12 ft pieces to lay along top out of way and others below. I now have a shelf and have wood supports on one end and scrap pieces on other. Plus a small pail for the real little junk. Some peices are standing  upright along end of shelf. I found I kept too much junk and smaller un-usable pieces for most projects and now just scrap the little stuff that I used to collect. During major garage cleaning times, much goes to the scrapper along with old worn parts from pile outside. Jut got to get yourself to "let it go".  I don't make as much as I used to, but still end up buying mostly new metals anyway that are just what I want, instead of "making do" with whatever is on hand. What I have is inside, but with condesation that comes goes with temps in a cold garage, it will rust up some at least. Luckily a quick brush over with angle grinder or brush takes it off easy.

• HANKG said thank you

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:01 AM

That is nice idea,,,better yet if it can be stored indoors however the only steel I ever buy new is sheet metal which takes little room to store...my steel has all started the oxidizing process so its quite happy in the elements

I found a steel rack at the dump years ago. About 5' long and 4' tall with various levels. I was shocked someone would throw it away but possibly they outgrew it.   I set it at the side of my garage under the eaves which are 24" so the snow generally stays off the steel.  All the steel is easy to view so I know what I got.. smaller steel stuff is in a slide out box under my workbench and real small stuff is in its own drawer....  

Edited by Jazz, January 04, 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#10 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:40 AM

That's a nice size trailer. I need one of those to mount my diesel generator on. Your set up looks very handy. Do the tires stay aired up?

I put tubes in the tires they holding up nicely.

A lot of the steel I have, is from dumpster at work.  Some of its a bit heavy for garden tractor applications.  On the up side i know i'm not going to bend it.  

I needed the room in the garage so the scrap had to go.  This way the steel is not on the ground the with weeds growing through it un able to mow.  I do have room in my cold storage, this winter, so I don't have to dig it out of the snow and dark.  I just pick the hitch up with the 3 point hitch on my 425 and wheel it were ever i want it.

My next project is convert a metal table base I have into a GT surgery table.  Something so I can have a tractor couple of feet off the ground so I can still work on the top of the machine and not have to be kneeling to work on the sides.  I'd put wheel barrow wheels or something under one end and a hitch on the other so I can move it in and out of the garage.  There are times I want to put a vehicle on that side to work on.  I have a three car garage and I am doing my best to keep parking space for two cars on the one side.  

Edited by Alberta Bolens, January 04, 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• Cat385B and HANKG have said thanks

#11 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 12:13 PM

The trailer is great, but I like not giving the bride the satisfaction also , hahaha

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 01:15 PM

That is a great idea! I need to do something with the parts and metal I have in my shop.

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:13 PM

The trailer is great, but I like not giving the bride the satisfaction also , hahaha

Ya it just goes against the grain to say she was right about anything let alone something to do with the shop. :rolling:   At the same time I know my place :deadhorse:

• HANKG said thank you