I wanted to take a moment and say hello to the community!
My wife and I just bought a home with ~5 acres. I was in need of some sort of tractor for lawn mowing, snow removal, landscaping, etc. when my dad said he was looking for a reason to get a new tractor. He ordered a new Kubota SCUT and gave me his 1979 Power King 1618 with attachments (belly mower, rototiller, snowblower). This is the tractor I used to mow grass, move firewood, move trailers, etc. when I was a boy.
- purchased by my father new in 1979
- dual transmissions
- 3 pt hitch
- hydraulic lift
- original tires
- kept in a dry and sometimes heated garage every day of its life
- Kohler engine and carb recently rebuilt
- snowblower was updated with the newer PK pulley assembly (original was prone to throwing belts)
Issues I will work on over time:
- the steering draglink snapped at some point and was welded (poorly) so I may look for a new one.
- mower deck has a hole on the non-discharge end that I will patch
- I operate a lot at night so tastefully adding some auxiliary lighting front and rear is attractive (so that it looks like a factory option)
- seat needs some restoration
One major item I'm left wanting is a front end loader. Mission Manufacturing has loaders for the plastic Power Kings that they say have been successfully fitted to the metal body PKs but I'm not paying $3000 for a unit that needs modification to work. I intend to explore finding a used unit or research building my own.
I'll post pics soon and hope to contribute/learn from the members here!
Edited by zuren, January 03, 2015 - 12:13 PM.