43 replies to this topic

#31 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 05:50 PM

I went after the rims in a backward sort of way.  I sprayed the bolts that held the two pieces together first and kept them wet and soaking for a couple days.  When they started to move I kept turning them without stopping, using a 3/8" ratchet.  On a couple I had to turn the bolt in and spray it some more and then back it out.  A lot of times on smaller tires soap and water does more harm than good.  It lets the tire and tools slip around to much trying to mount it on a conventional rim.  These are not conventional rims but I was reluctant to use soap and water.  I pried a large round bit screwdriver I made up for changing small tires, between the rim and tire.  With the gap open a little I squirted white vinegar in between the tire and rim.  Worked all the way around on both side of both tires.  6 hours later I started to pry the rim out of the tire, not the tire down off the rim.  That way I could user the rim as a leverage point to force the tires down and the rim up.  I worked around the tire about 8" and the rim came up out of  the tire.  Worked this method on all four rim pieces and had very little trouble getting the rims out of the tires.  I feel it was the vinegar that helped this job a lot.  The 5% acid in the vinegar attacked the rust and softened it enough to allow the tire to move on the rims.  Soap and water won't do this.  Hope this might help someone else that runs into the split rims down the road.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#32 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:47 PM

The rims are primed and two coats of yellow.  New tubes and tires mounted with no problem.  Put the wheels on the tractor last Sunday and pulled it up from the lower building to the tool room in the garage.  Room enough to work and lot smaller area to keep the chill off.  The carb spent about 24 hours in the parts washer soaking.  Mean time I started on the ignition.  Found out there is more to getting the points set right on one of these old jewels than the newer ones.  Got every thing cleaned up and used the plug that came with the machine.  No spark.  Went back and rechecked the gap.  With a 6:1 reduction on this machine it don't take much movement on the drive pulley to turn the crank shaft 1/4 turn.  Finally got it stopped at the right spot and re-set the points.  tired it again and no spark.  That plug is not the one that is recommended for this engine but looked like a new plug.  Put one on out of a chain saw and tired it.  BINGO !  Nice bright blue spark.

Run some gas through the tank and lines to clean them out.  Need a new gasket for the sediment bowl as it leeks a tiny bit.  Cleaned up the carb, blew everything out and put it back together and on the tractor.  Opened the gas valve and no leaks.

Need to get a throttle cable and the right spark plug before I can try starting the motor.  Took the main drive chain off and it is in the parts washer now.  Supposed to get up to 44° tomorrow.  If it get even close will get the power washer out and clean the built up grease, dirt and what have you off so I can find some things.  I think about every thing else is loosen up and free.  Zerk's all took grease OK.  Will run it while and then pump all the old grease out.  Also change oil in the engine.  Probably wouldn't hurt to get a muffler too.  I have a 3" pipe on it but that won't quiet it down much.

Need to come up with the draw bar assembly for it so I can attach other implements.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 1 other said thanks

#33 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Worked mainly on piddle stuff today.   Got the main drive chain cleaned up back on and adjusted.  Of course to adjust them or the wheel chains the adjusting bolts had to come out and get the threads cleaned up on the bolts and lock nuts.  Cleaned up the wheel chains even though they were not to bad.  Little rusty from sitting but all links were loose.  Had to work on the left chain shield.  It had got caught in the chain and broke the front bracket right in the bolt hole as well as bent heck out of it.  At least it is heavy enough it will straighten out again without breaking.  The end of the bracket had broke off earlier so had to weld that back.  Couple cracks in the shield itself by the front bracket so brazed them shut.  Cleaned of the plow adjusting crack threads..  Now it works nice and easy.  Rolling Coulter got a good shot of grease so it now turns free.  Even sharp enough to cut the trash.  Need a pair of handle bar grips yet.  they are a lot larger than a bicycle to they may be hard to come up with.  probably have to substitute something.

Tomorrow I think I will put a make shift throttle control on it, borrow a muffler off the 1354 and try and start the old girl..   I think everything else is  free and working like it is supposed to,  I HOPE !

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#34 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:30 PM

Sounds like your making some good progress!

If your handle bars are the 1'' ones I sourced some close USA replacements, probably closest we're going to get unless I win the lottery and can get the molds going again for $10,000 :D

https://bolenspartsa...le-grip-180885/

#35 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 07:06 PM

When I know that the old girl is going to run OK will probably get a pair.  Will check to be sure the bars are 1" first.  I didn't think I could warm plastic and stretch it that much.

#36 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 08:01 AM

The handle bars are 1" so will be getting a pair of grips from Doc later.  No luck on getting it to run yesterday.  Lost the spark.  Went back to score one and found the points were not opening and closing like they were supposed to.  Checked the condenser and it was OK.  Re-installed the points, re-aligned them, set the spring tension, then the gap at .20.  Re-checked everything one more time and closed it up.  Several pulls on the rope and had good blue fire every time.  Had to move some things to get it outside to try again and didn't want to mess with that at that time.  Had some sprinkles earlier and didn't want stuff getting wet.

Went to work on the plow with a wire brush on the angle grinder.  Cleaned up real good.  Will need to do some more polishing so it will scour good when I put it to the ground.  Neighbor has a bean stubble right across the road from the house so I have about 20 A to play in with it.  No frost in the ground now so I can get started early to have it done by planting time.

Edited by chieffan, January 18, 2015 - 08:03 AM.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#37 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Nice, quiet sunny morning her so did some outdoor chores first off.  Had a bunch of trash to burn, get a tractor loaded for a swap tomorrow morning.  run to town and got gas and washed the truck.  THEN we pulled the Gardener out side and give it a pull.  Popped right off first pull.  Died a couple times before I got the carb set at good fast idle.  Used a make shift stationary throttle control till my new one gets here Tuesday.  Drove it around in the drive a few times to get the clutches loosened up.  They want to hang a lot of times so did a little adjustment on them to throw out further.  Runs real smooth for an old engine that hasn't been run for who knows how long.  Now to find the hitch set up for it so I can do something besides plow.  Hopefully the PO can find it over there some place.

Gardener-1.JPG   Gardener-2.JPG

Gardener-3.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#38 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Looks Good!

• chieffan said thank you

#39 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:43 PM

How are those clutches setup? I hear they are made out of wood linings?

#40 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,636 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Now all you need is a air cleaner setup! :D I'll send it off soon.
It don't look to bad with new shoes on! Glad you got it running.

#41 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:38 PM

How are those clutches setup? I hear they are made out of wood linings?

U have not been into the clutches as yet.  I made the adjustment on the turn buckle on the end of the throw out rod.  That took care of it so far.  I really doubt they would be wood linings as wood is to unstable.  Shrinks and swells to easy for something like a clutch lining.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#42 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:50 PM

U have not been into the clutches as yet.  I made the adjustment on the turn buckle on the end of the throw out rod.  That took care of it so far.  I really doubt they would be wood linings as wood is to unstable.  Shrinks and swells to easy for something like a clutch lining.

Havent laid my hands on one yet. although I will be in the spring! :D

#43 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Been slow going the last several days.  Weather is not cooperating very well.  I did turn the gas on to run it a little the other day and gas ran out on the floor.  Pulled the carb yesterday as I have a kit on the way.  Hum-m-m.  No wonder fuel ran straight through.  The float sank.  Found 3 tiny cracks in it on the bottom side.  Drained, dried, cleaned and soldered them shut yesterday.  Put it in a pan of water repair side up.  Will see if it is going to float this morning.  Going to build a hitch for this thing as no one seems to be available anywhere.  Was hoping the PO could come up with it but haven't heard back as yet.  Cold may have stopped him from looking too, and I don't blame him.

#44 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Much better weather this weekend.  Put the carb kit in the Gardener Sat afternoon.  That made a big difference.  run it around for while getting use to the clutches.  Then went across the road and put the plow in the ground - about 2" to frost.  Couple little carb adjustments and it turned dirt.  Not much but at least I turned dirt in January.

Sunday afternoon I put the points and condenser in the Bradley.  The went after the car and put the kit in it.  Made the initial adjustments, gave it two pulls and it sat there and run at fast idle like a new one.  No smoke, no missing or sputtering.  I believe I got lucky and got 3 tractors with good motors.  Even though I traded the Blackhawk the new owner tell me he has it running also.  Now I can start on some attachments.  Got some more shovels for the Bradley off eBay today.  They will work on the Brinly cultivator too so that will probably be the next project.

• Bolens 1000, KennyP and Nato77 have said thanks