43 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Awww, you're so kind to offer that, Kris.  I was going to do the same thing.   Now its like two boy scouts beating each other up over who gets to help the old lady across the street.

Ben W.

You two fight it out.   :shoot2:  First one here gets the prize :dancingbanana:  I'll be watching for ya :(  :thumbs:

• KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Looks lice a nice haul. Is it an illusion or is the shrould cracked on the Gardener?

Was looking them better in good daylight this morning.  I was wrong, it is NOT the fuel line.  It is the throttle cable.  fuel line is on the other side.

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:53 PM

Now that right there is a great find. It sure would be nice to see a couple more photos of each when you get them off the trailer. Not being educated in the walk behind tractors I am at a loss as to what is what in the packaged deal. It appears that they are in really good shape and will be very nice as running machines.

Take care,

Mike

Mike,  The first photo is the black Hawk with a plow attached.  Plow is hid though.  Green in the front of the trailer is the side of the Gardener.  Second photo is the David Bradly with the extra rims attached to the wheels.  Third is the Gardener with a plow attached.  I have them unloaded and inside a building covered.  Talking ice, some snow and cold windy weather for the next few days for this area and wanted them in and protected.  Will post some photos when I get one of them out to start working on.  Will be the Gardener first so I can use it in the garden this spring.

#19 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for describing each I'm going to look at the photos again. You picked up some really great looking machines. The progress on each will be great to see, I'm looking forward to it. Our weather here is about the same and can't really do much outside. But I will be picking a couple more up tomorrow so thats exciting.

Mike

• chieffan said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:17 PM

Awww, you're so kind to offer that, Kris.  I was going to do the same thing.   Now its like two boy scouts beating each other up over who gets to help the old lady across the street.

Ben W.

Ben, we could do a Johnny Cash special on this.  Send it to you 'One piece at a time' ? ?

#21 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 06:22 PM

That is a nice haul. The walk behind tractors are really nice. I've got two different ones. They have a ton of power. You got a great deal on the tires too. Best of luck getting them going.

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:55 PM

We are at 2.7° now but very little wind.  If there is no wind in the morning after chores I will try and get the Gardener blocked up and the wheels off.  After they sit in the basement with the tires for a couple days they may bend enough to get them off.  Will soak the bolts to the split rims while they warm.

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Up to 5° this morning and 3-5 mph wind.  Wasn't bad outside.  The wheels came off with no problem.  Bolts were tight but came right loose with a little tug.  The label on the inside of the left wheel is still there.  Will probably fill it with fluid again as that is what is recommended for them.  May just clean them and paint them while they are inside and warm.

Edited by chieffan, January 06, 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#24 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Your gona want fluid or wheel weights. They have a lot more power than they do weight. That's why I put over size bar type tires on mine. They have a lot of power.

#25 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Your gona want fluid or wheel weights. They have a lot more power than they do weight. That's why I put over size bar type tires on mine. They have a lot of power.

They will get the RV Antifreeze treatment OK.  Have to pick up a pair of new tubes first then pump them full.I figure they will hold close to 2.5 gal. each.  Wonder how the one with the calcium in will look when it come apart ? ?

#26 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hopefully not to much damage. I use -20 windshield washer fluid and have no complaints.

#27 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Either one will work OK.  I was told the the RV antifreeze was a little heavier than the washer fluid so went that route.  Have both around most of the time.  Going to try the bolts this morning after they get a good smack on the head with a hammer & punch to jar them a little. Will see what a 3/8 drive will do to them.  Not going with the 1/2" as it would be to easy to twist one off.  -3° this morning and worse tomorrow morning they say.  Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r  ! ! !

#28 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Well, the bolts did not want to budge yesterday morning.  Sprayed them down again and let them set overnight.  Got all 8 out this morning.  2 wanted to be stubborn and got real tight about 1/2 way out.  Sprayed them again, turned them in, more spray and backed them out OK.  The tire beads are mostly broke loose.  Have them soaking in white vinegar now.  Will work on them more this afternoon.  May switch to good old soap and water.

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 04:36 PM

About 3 this afternoon I decided to see who the vinegar was working.  It did it's job just like I thought it would.  In 30 min I had both wheels apart and the remains were outside in the cold.  Will let them dry and then star the clean up.  That yellow looks real close to the old Mini Moline yellow, but I think it is more of a gold color than yellow.  Will have to do some looking for a couple rattle cans that comes real close.  I am not restoring this machine, just making it look good and in working condition.  Cast Wheels.JPG

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,468 Thanks
  • 39,703 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Glad they came apart!