43 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:51 PM

What started out as a trip after Bolens Gardener ended up being a trailer load.  Arrived at the destination and looked the Gardener over and it looked complete, engine was free, chains were heavily oiled.  Cables and a couple hand control were seized but all in all it looked good. Tires were completely shot which I knew ahead of time.  Owner came up with two brand new 5.00 X 12 tractor bar tires, never mounted.  Wanted $20 for the pair.  SOLD !  Got it loaded and he wanted me to look at a couple David Bradly machines he had.  Outside off to the side was two near complete machines.  One had a plow attached, another attachment was by the second one.  Both Briggs motors were free. Both need external parts like air breather, muffler, etc.  One has factory wheel weights.  The other  - - well it has car rims full of concrete bolted to the tractor rim for weight.  Have to take the weight off to check the air in the tire ? ? ?

The price was right as he wanted to get rid of them.  They were his Dads and been inside until he put them out for a garage sale a month ago.  Didn't sell of course.  So now they are in my pellet building.

Will get the Gardener up and going first.  Then will see which one take the least amount of work on the DB machines.  They have different motors and are different models of machines so not sure much will interchange.

D.B.-1.JPG       D.B.-2.JPG      

Gardener.jpg

Edited by chieffan, January 02, 2015 - 07:10 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, Gtractor and 12 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:12 PM

VERY NICE FINDS!!!! 

Only "problem" is the one David Bradley is not a Bradley at all. It is a much less often seen Blackhawk.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

• DougT, blackjackjakexxix, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Looks lice a nice haul. Is it an illusion or is the shrould cracked on the Gardener?

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Nice find,love the road trips that lead to other puchases

• chieffan said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:15 PM

VERY NICE FINDS!!!! 

Only "problem" is the one David Bradley is not a Bradley at all. It is a much less often seen Blackhawk.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

Your right, Kris. I didn't think that one looked Bradley but didn't look close enough.

• Gtractor, blackjackjakexxix, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Looks lice a nice haul. Is it an illusion or is the shrould cracked on the Gardener?

Not sure what you refer to as the shroud.  The chain guard is OK.  Not much of a shroud around the motor.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:20 PM

VERY NICE FINDS!!!! 

OK.  That is probably why I only got one DB hood with the more orange unit.  Never heard of a Blackhawk.  Going to have to do some research now.  You have my attention for sure.  I'll try and get the attachment posted that was with the Blackhawk.

• Gtractor and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Not sure what you refer to as the shroud.  The chain guard is OK.  Not much of a shroud around the motor.

The air shroud is the cast iron part covering the flywheel. It serves the same purpose as the tin ones on the later engnes.

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#9 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:41 PM

That sure is a nice looking gardener. Even better that you got the two piece cast rim. Those aren't to common.

• blackjackjakexxix, superaben and chieffan have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Got it to upload this time.  We believe this is something to build the dirt up around the rows of plants?  But it also has some flat cutter type items that look like they could cut the weed root off.  Has some real neat two piece steel wheels that are in good condition.  The lettering across the top bar reads "Walking  Tractor" in yellow.  The tools is green, what is left of the paint.

Attachment.JPG

Edited by chieffan, January 03, 2015 - 12:42 PM.

• Alc and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:51 PM

The air shroud is the cast iron part covering the flywheel. It serves the same purpose as the tin ones on the later engnes.

OK thanks for clarifying that.  I see what your talking about now.  That is the fuel line that runs from the tank to the right of the shroud to the bottom of the carb.  In the photo it does look like a crack though.

• DougT and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:47 PM

They may be for hilling potatoes or making a bed to plant in. The flat piece maybe for making a furrow in the bed to plant seeds in. Just a guess , Noel

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:49 PM

Chieffan, 

You probably won't want such an oddball as that Blackhawk.  I'll trade you a good ole David Bradley straight-up.  Implements will be easier to find for the Bradley and you won't have to explain to people the differences between the Blackhawk and the Bradley once you get them both going.  :smilewink:

While I'm at it,  Do you by chance know that crazy Tom Miller, the realtor in your neck of the woods? 

• superaben and chieffan have said thanks

#14 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Chieffan, 

You probably won't want such an oddball as that Blackhawk.  I'll trade you a good ole David Bradley straight-up.  Implements will be easier to find for the Bradley and you won't have to explain to people the differences between the Blackhawk and the Bradley once you get them both going.  :smilewink:

While I'm at it,  Do you by chance know that crazy Tom Miller, the realtor in your neck of the woods? 

Awww, you're so kind to offer that, Kris.  I was going to do the same thing.   Now its like two boy scouts beating each other up over who gets to help the old lady across the street.

Ben W.

• Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#15 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:58 AM

Now that right there is a great find. It sure would be nice to see a couple more photos of each when you get them off the trailer. Not being educated in the walk behind tractors I am at a loss as to what is what in the packaged deal. It appears that they are in really good shape and will be very nice as running machines.

Take care,

Mike

• chieffan said thank you