tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 11:43 PM

I was using my MF14 and pulled up to the house when it suddenly revved way up and died. Tried to restart it but no go. Anyone have any ideas so I don't go around chasing my tail? Think I'll get a head gasket, points and plug, decarbonize it, and install points and plug. What else?????

On another note, GET READY FOR SPRING!! The last 3 days I've heard geese flying over headed north and the peach and plum trees are in bloom.

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 12:18 AM

Take a very close look at the governor components on the outside of the motor, then at the carb butterfly. See if anything is loose or missing. (like a butterfly screw) You might of had something come apart on the governor inside the motor block too.

If these all look good, try hitting the carb with a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid into the inlet and see it it will fire. Also check for spark and compression. (Just a finger test over the plug hole will do)

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 12:18 AM

Ronnie, start with the basics. 1st Does the engine still have compression? Then check the spark. It should jump 3/16" at least. Revving up could have been leaning out and running out of fuel. Spray a little brake or carb clean in the hole and see if it will fire. (make sure your using the flammable kind). Changing the plug is a quick test and you can test most of the other things at the same time. I would do some diagnosing first before I started changing too many parts and tearing down.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Like Doug mentioned about the revving up, usually means it went lean for some reason. First check and make sure you have gas, and also check and make sure gas is getting to the carb.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like it started to run lean then die, or the throttle plate came off and got sucked in till it died.
Either way it's carburetor problem, wouldn't hurt to pull it off and start there, at least give it a good cleaning.

#6 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hey tinnern, When I bought my MF14 many years ago it wasn't running and the problem was, as mentioned above, the screw in the carb butterfly. I was unable to find a screw with matching threads so I ended up tapping the shaft and putting in another screw. If the screw did come out you know where it went! Good luck with it.