I thought I'd share this, as it may be useful to others when dealing
with a seized control cable.
I've been working on a Massey Ferguson 8 hp Hydrostatic MF8H.
The cable from the shift lever to the hydro drive unit was seized.
Tough to get at the shift lever end, so I disconnected it at the drive unit end.
For 3 days, I dripped PB blaster in to it, 3 in 1 oil, acetone/atf mixture, and
applied a bit of heat. It appeared to be seized only in the aluminum tube
at the end, as I could turn the outer casing.
I finally got it to move about 1/4" by holding the clamp on the casing tightly, and
pounding on the end with a hammer. Fine, it moved, but I needed a easier way to
work it back and forth, to work some grease or oil into it. I had an idea on New Years
morning ( that's surprising in itself ), to make a clamp-on, puller/pusher, so I could
get that cable moving. I took all of 15 minutes to drill a few holes in some 1/4" x 1"
flat bar and round up some 1/4" threaded rod. It work like a charm, and once I
got the solid end of the cable out of the tube, I sanded the rust off. It's working
like a new one now.