Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Western Auto Wizard, chance at new life.

western auto wizard bolens walk behind briggs briggs and stratton

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I got the head cleaned up and also the top of the block today. Also got the valves lapped. I believe I found the reason for lack of compression beyond the crud buildup on the exhaust valve seat. There is no valve clearance whatsoever so I am going to take care of adjusting that tomorrow.

Wow... that is unusual.  Just remember, when you file those valve stems the opposite of what your mom may have said about food applies.  She may have said that "You can always add on, but you can't take away."  For valve stems, it goes "You can always take aware, but it is hard to add on!"

Ben W.

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Here is a diagram of the governor setup.

Capture2.JPG

The slide on the back of the bearing plate has the main governor spring attached to it.  The other side of the spring goes into hole #2 on the throttle shaft.  The linkage goes from hole #4 on the throttle shaft to the air vane.

Capture3.JPG

Ben W.

• DougT said thank you

#18 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Hey george. Is this one supose to have a hod like the power hoes? I found a hood with the wizard name cast just like the bolens. has the same holes as well.

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hey george. Is this one supose to have a hod like the power hoes? I found a hood with the wizard name cast just like the bolens. has the same holes as well.

Some models had them, they were copies of the 12BB power Ho's

• NUTNDUN, Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#20 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:11 AM

This on did not have the hood.  I know of one missing the hood what are your plans with yours? 

#21 brownboystoys OFFLINE  

brownboystoys

• Member No: 6127
  • 107 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Was planning on finding a tractor that needs one or building a ride amatic that takes that hood.

• NUTNDUN and wilberj have said thanks

#22 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:52 AM

here is your pictures of the carb, air cleaner and linkages. hard to get a good picture with all the parts in place, but I sure you get the idea.

725 mower 007.JPG

725 mower 005.JPG

• NUTNDUN and Alc have said thanks

#23 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Well, well, well Im glad someone here got the little beast of a machine, I had wondered where Brian had dropped it off.

IMG_3283_zps59f5cfc6.jpg

George that 6R6 engine was the engine that was on it when I got it and is likely the original.  I had gotten the other engine for cheap  and swapped the reduction unit on it and the solid pulley, I used it a few times as a back up to the Gravely walk behind for snow removal, but I got that WH 16 and moved the Gravely to the backup status and had no need for the Wizard, its a cool little machine,, real glad to see someone here getting it back to working condition!
  • NUTNDUN, olcowhand, DougT and 3 others have said thanks

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:15 AM

Well, well, well Im glad someone here got the little beast of a machine, I had wondered where Brian had dropped it off.

George that 6R6 engine was the engine that was on it when I got it and is likely the original.  I had gotten the other engine for cheap  and swapped the reduction unit on it and the solid pulley, I used it a few times as a back up to the Gravely walk behind for snow removal, but I got that WH 16 and moved the Gravely to the backup status and had no need for the Wizard, its a cool little machine,, real glad to see someone here getting it back to working condition!

We will definitely get it back to working order but it will live the easy life. Mainly want to get it running just to know it runs and to make it easier loading and unloading and to also tinker with it. 

#25 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Both engines did run, the original 6R6 has many issues as you know, thats why I got the 4hp, I took the path of least resistance,, the 4hp runs real sweet, but I only used it sparingly as it was a backup snow machine and the gas would always get bad and I would take off the tank/carb and clean it. I had the tank off to clean when I decided to part with it for lack of inside storage and no need, I just hung the tank back on it so it was complete when Brian picked it up.  Hopefully you can get that added on plow mount off without much trouble, dad got really carried away with the welder.  Just watch out it freewheels down hill.  I never could get reverse to work either :rolling:

• NUTNDUN and Lauber1 have said thanks

#26 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Looking forward to the progress on this tractor. I was able to get a wizard myself this past year in a trade deal it's the versa-matic model type tractor is complete with the guard Needs a full restoration Will be looking for some Clinton parts soon for the motor.
  • NUTNDUN and Bolens 1000 have said thanks

#27 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:53 PM

Looking forward to the progress on this tractor. I was able to get a wizard myself this past year in a trade deal it's the versa-matic model type tractor is complete with the guard Needs a full restoration Will be looking for some Clinton parts soon for the motor.

Photos!

#28 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 05:32 PM

Photos!

I don't have any photos on my phone but look back on a previous thread about a wizard I got it from a member on here bobin

#29 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,208 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 05:45 PM

I don't have any photos on my phone but look back on a previous thread about a wizard I got it from a member on here bobin

I remember the power ho wizard but not the versa-matic wizard  I did a search and cant find it. 

#30 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I remember the power ho wizard but not the versa-matic wizard  I did a search and cant find it. 

It's the one that Bob bought at the trading post auction that we didn't attend

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: western auto, wizard, bolens, walk behind, briggs, briggs and stratton