Some of you may be shocked seeing me post in the walk behind section but we are stretching our legs < no pun intended
There is apparently more to this Western Auto Wizard than just Brian (Texas Deere & Horse) dropping it off when he was passing through. This thing originally popped up on GTtalk in the classifieds section as "2 Wheel Western Auto Wizard". It had the replacement engine on it when Brian dropped it off. We completely forgot he also dropped off the original motor and variable pulley.
Here are some pics before we started tearing it apart:
There were a few things with the current engine that didn't look promising. One was the grounding wire to shut it down wasn't hooked up, at least that is what I think it is. Second was when I removed the gas tank so we could clean it out. I guess the year or more of it sitting outside didn't do it good. The gas smelled horrible and the amount of rust and dirt was unreal.
Keep in mind we didn't realize this was previously posted on GTtalk and we don't know that much about the walk behinds. I kind of figured it wasn't the original engine because of the recoil starter. The pulley on the gear reduction output was also too new along with the lock nuts mounting the engine to the frame. We unbolted the replacement Briggs to get it on the work bench and make it easier to work on. That is when I removed the gas tank and pretty much called it quits trying to get the replacement engine running. Went ahead and removed the gear reduction and set it to the side.
Something kept triggering the little night light in my head that we had a small engine that would work but I couldn't remember where or what it was. Dad was over looking at one of the other Bolens walk behinds and seen a small engine sitting on the floor. Low and behold it was the motor that was original to the Western Auto Wizard. Also laying beside it was the variable pulley.
Put the little Briggs and Stratton up on the work bench and was looking it over. It is missing the air cleaner and the governor linkages. I have never really messed with any little single cylinder Briggs engines so this is all new to me. Spinning the engine by hand it didn't really seem to have any compression. I don't know if these little Briggs have a compression release on them or not.
We started taking the shroud off and the coil looked like it may have been in bad shape, along with the flywheel missing quite a few fins. Unbolted the head and popped it off. The valves were definitely covered in a bunch of carbon and there is no way the exhaust valve could have been sealing correctly with how much carbon build up there is on the valve seat. Removed the carb and set that to the side. Also removed the valve cover and once I had that off there were a bunch of pieces just laying in there. I assumed they had to do with the crankcase breather but wasn't sure how they work. After seeing the Briggs and Stratton Model 6 manual that Bolens 1000 uploaded I can see now that we are missing the spring that keeps tension on it to keep it in the hole.
We removed the valves and the valve guides seem to be in decent shape. The cylinder bore looks to be in good shape as well. We hooked the spark plug cable back up to the spark plug and checked to see if it still had spark. I thought for sure it wouldn't with how the coil looked but sure enough it had a nice strong blue spark.
Originally the goal was to try and get it running. Now knowing we have the original motor other than getting a few pieces for it I think we may restore it. Dad has a set of cultivators for behind it which would be great at shows. I know I definitely don't see many of these Western Auto Wizard walk behinds so I think it would be a nice one to do. We are looking now to get parts for the governor linkage, air cleaner assembly and the flywheel.
There was a metal plate and metal angle welded to the front of the frame which looks like it was for a snow blade. I am going to do my best to remove this sometime this weekend. Going to cut into the extra metal and get it removed than worry about grinding the frame down to original size. It is going to take some time to do but I will get it done.