• Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Ahh crap Marty.
What about it won't support 5 people?
Recovery?

You might see about getting it bailed. Talk to a guy who does wells out there that you trust.

What determines how many people a well can support ?

The well was okay for my mom and dad who only took a bath every other day, 1 load of laundry every 2-3 days. etc but they could not drink it. Since we have moved in on Dec 20th, we have ran it dry twice to the point on Christmas day, it took  almost 4 hours to refill pipe.

Every situation is different. You really need a knowledgeable person to assess the situation. Right now you haven't even told us if it is a dug or drilled well. Sometimes a bigger tank and water conservation can work for a while. Good Luck, Rick

It is a drilled well, 5" or 6" casing. 

History... well was dug in 1989, water was plentiful, but has some iron and a very slight salty taste and of course hard.

The company who drilled was named Treadway. the current well company is now called Yeagers who is the BIL of Treadway who past away years ago. Yeagers was part of the original drill and has service the well the last  10 yrs or so. 

When he called me back, he still had all the records from original well drilling, he told me all the specs on the soil type and issues with the well. The hit water at 17*20 feet, down in gravel/sand at 25. Back then, county laws were they had to go to at least 45' so they took the well to 50', he is now telling me that was a mistake. They hit hard rock at around 40' so the last 10' is in rock...2 problems with that. First is all the weep holes are in the rock, it takes longer for the well to replenish, the holes should be up in the gravel area, too late once pipe is driven down. It originally had 8 gpm. Second is being in the rock layer, it absorbed minerals as in most likely calcium.  Over the years it has gotten less flow and it is now like drinking ocean water and it's now not able to recover with the 5 of us, Yeager made a visit and told us that they had pulled pump up in the pipe to hopefully prevent sucking up the minerals, but now that it's down to about 4-5 gpm and slow to recover, it's pulling from down deep. We had been looking into an expensive softener systems to clean it up, but now that we have no water to clean, we have to look into supply first.

They also installed a "pump saver" system a few years back to prevent pump from burning up when it was pumping no water. It shuts down pump when water level gets below pump.  We don't need any new controls as a couple of you suggested, we have no water supply to build pressure with. 

Yeager also stated they came out about 5-6 yrs ago and used air pressure to try to blow out the weep holes to get more water flow, he said it was a struggle back then and said he doubts it will even work now and then we would still be left with the expensive water treatment. 

He did mention some type of secondary storage tank, but with the bad water quality and low flow, he doesn't feel that is even so much of a band aid.

He suggest a new well dug  and stated new county rules allow then to only go down 25-30 feet if needed, not the old 45 or 50'. Neighbor well is only 40', but up on a hill about 10' higher than where ours would be, theirs is just slightly hard with a low % of rust, they have decent water with a std softener. 

So I see not many other options, the old well is not recovering fast enough now and it's horrible quality. Yeager knows the well and is the only diggers in our area. 

I have to call tomorrow to get his proposal and I need to get my Old Ky uncle out to witch the water supply for me  :thumbs:

Maybe I need to clean the cistern and start collecting rain water like many years ago. I could at least water the animals with it. 

Edited by TAHOE, January 01, 2015 - 07:08 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#17 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Good luck, sorry to hear about the problems.

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I feel for you man. I've been battling that problem for years. Just never had the cash to drill again. I put a 300 gallon tank in the basement that feeds the pressure tank. It lets me know when we have to be careful without running out. This time of year is the worst. Once the January thaw comes we're ok. Trouble is there is no snow this year to melt so we're in deep doo doo at the moment.
  • Alc and TAHOE have said thanks

#19 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:01 PM

That's a bad situation, Marty.  Anytime you start messing with wells it gets expensive.

I know quite a few people around my area here that think they have a bad pump or even a dry well when in fact the mineral buildup reduced the pipes to a little trickle.  We have limestone all over the county.  Everyone has hard water.

I would clean out the cistern.  Taking even the load off from the animals will be a big help to you.

Ben W.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:06 PM

That's a bad situation, Marty.  Anytime you start messing with wells it gets expensive.

I know quite a few people around my area here that think they have a bad pump or even a dry well when in fact the mineral buildup reduced the pipes to a little trickle.  We have limestone all over the county.  Everyone has hard water.

I would clean out the cistern.  Taking even the load off from the animals will be a big help to you.

Ben W.

They don't think they can even clean it again, the weep holes have almost sealed shut from rust from what they are saying.

The cistern has not been used for 30 yrs at least, not sure how I would even start to clean it out, I know it still has water in it, not sure how deep though. the cistern is actually the entire back porch, used to be fed by a switchable Y valve on the downspout. 

• Alc, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#21 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:08 PM

I need to figure out more about my cistern. It's large and full of water. I use water from it to wash stuff and eater the garden. I have it set up for the utility sinks in the garage. Water smells and looks clean but be darned if I'll drink it.

Good luck keep us posted. I think I may have learned some good information from your post. Thanks!

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 01, 2015 - 08:11 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:42 AM

Interesting how laws are different in other parts of the country .  When we put our well in 30+ years ago , they had to drill at least 5' into bedrock  with a hole large  enough for the well casing to fit into the bedrock then cemented in , ours was about 35' then drilled down 160' total with a smaller size bit . I say bit but the well driller was from the old school who  used a " pounder"  not the rotary type that's most commonly used , they say the pounders make better wells , I can't say that's the truth or not lol . Through the years the water table has been lower , more homes ,  quarry reopened , greenhouse business open next door  idk  which was the  cause  , but we have to be careful with ours or we run out . It helped the new front load washer , doesn't clean very dirty clothes as good but the old washer used 45 gl. on full load !!! 

#23 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:31 AM

I know I'm going to hear a lot of push back on this, but if water table is that close to the surface, you can drive your own well to about 25' with a point and a large slide hammer or sledge. I would do that, get it tested as an animal well, if it's safe, use it. I have a friend that's been on a 25' well he drove for 30 years.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Well that's no good. My well could support an army I think. I swear they drilled it down to a lake in China.

Just so you don't have to worry about illegal immigrants swimming up out of your

well, here's a tid bit of info.

There is nowhere in Hawaii, Alaska, or continental US, that you can bore through the

center of the earth, and end up in China.

• olcowhand, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:41 AM

I know I'm going to hear a lot of push back on this, but if water table is that close to the surface, you can drive your own well to about 25' with a point and a large slide hammer or sledge. I would do that, get it tested as an animal well, if it's safe, use it. I have a friend that's been on a 25' well he drove for 30 years.

I already have a shallow well point one that we used to use back before this well was dug in 89, only 1 1/2" pipe I believe, dad used to have an old hand pump on it, I think it's only  22' or so and we used to drink it, best water I have ever tasted. The county told dad to close it up when they drilled the new one, he just quit using it and never did so I may cut of the old rusted pipe and try to see if it still has water. I can then insert a smaller pvc or PEX as an inner sleeve and just use a 12 volt or small 110v pump to water the animals. Dad actually had two heifers one hot summer day, he was pumping water into an old bathtub water trough....they drank it as fast as he could pump and he ended up pumping it dry, it did recover to water a few hours later though. If it does still have water, it could not support the house, not that I would even consider it. 

It is really ironic, my other house is 1/4 mile away by the crow flies and we have superb well water, so do most of the other 50 or so homes in the neighborhood. I ran it 36 hours once filling a pool, never ran dry and pump I know is 18 yrs old and never needed service. My other well is only 40' deep and is great water with an off the shelf softener. Just a 1/4 mile away and we can't even get good water.

Cincy sits over one of the largest and best underground aquifers in the US, our town has awarded several times over the last few years for having the best water in the US. Of course that doesn't mean we can drill that deep and hit it, probably not allowed anyway or even cost effective. 

• Alc and toppop52 have said thanks

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:42 AM

I forgot to add.....

GO BUCKS!!!!

• Sawdust said thank you

#27 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:10 AM

I forgot to add.....

It wasn't pretty but a win...a nail biter for sure.

GO BUCKS!!!!

• TAHOE said thank you

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I forgot to add.....

It wasn't pretty but a win...a nail biter for sure.

GO BUCKS!!!!

I don't expect a win on Monday.....Oregon is just a bunch of studs, but who knows. 

#29 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:27 PM

My well is 64' deep, 2" PVC that was drilled in 1957, I have water at 9-12', depending on enviromental conditions. I am lucky to be sitting on top of the Paleo Channel, one of the largest aquifers in the country. My little 2" well supported an inch and half pump spraying a stream around 30' for 12 hours, on two different occasions to cler the well after demolition and cleanup of the old buildings and trees on the property. While the pump was running full blast, I could easily fill a 5 gallon bucket with the hand pump mounted on top and never even see a change in the stream. Shallow wells, as well as 2" wells, get put down, but done correctly will daily support a large household.

My well is 64' deep, 2" PVC that was drilled in 1957, I have water at 9-12', depending on enviromental conditions. I am lucky to be sitting on top of the Paleo Channel, one of the largest aquifers in the country. My little 2" well supported an inch and half pump spraying a stream around 30' for 12 hours, on two different occasions to clear the well after demolition and cleanup of the old buildings and trees on the property. While the pump was running full blast, I could easily fill a 5 gallon bucket with the hand pump mounted on top and never even see a change in the stream. Shallow wells, as well as 2" wells, get put down, but done correctly will easily support a large household.

Edited by toppop52, January 02, 2015 - 08:29 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:38 PM

The farm well is over 130'. It is a 6" casing with 1.5" black plastic pipe and a submerged pump.
Recovers as fast as you can run it.

Deeper isn't always better, but a lot of times the impurities tend to be closer to the ground.

Did you Ask your neighbors how deep their wells are?