Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bush Hog HD-12 with front suitcase weights.

bush hog hd-12 suitcase weights weight bracket

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Ever since using the Bush Hog HD-12 to mow the back corner bank behind the garage with the pull behind brush mower and not being able to steer I wanted to add weight to the front. It takes too much time to try and mow the hill one direction going downhill to be able to steer due to having to go all the way around the garage.

I had tried many times going up the hill and since it is in the corner you have to make the turn and once you make the turn the slop of the ground basically makes you mow the same path on each pass. The front end of the Bush Hog is too light with the pull behind brush mower in tow. I wanted to put weights on the front and figured if anything I would fabricate a bracket to mount suitcase weights to.

This past Spring at the Little Guys show Kenny (Littledeere) was there at the tractor show and he had a couple of the John Deere weight brackets and was able to get one from him. Thanks Kenny. Little did I know how easy it was going to be to use it on the Bush Hog HD-12. I never really had much of a chance to worry about getting it mounted. I figured I would need to drill new holes in the bracket to get it to mount to the HD-12.

Fast forward to yesterday and I was out in the garage tinkering. Seen the weight bracket sitting there and the HD-12 is sitting in the main bay of the garage with room to work on it. I wanted to hold the bracket up to the front of the tractor and see what I would need to do. Low and behold the four mounting holes on the bracket matched up perfectly to four holes in the Bush Hog HD-12. 

Right now it is only mounted finger tight. I want to pull it back off to paint it to match the tractor. I don't have any suitcase weights but dad has four FMC Bolens suitcase weights that we put on there for now. Dad got them from Dan (Halfscale) this past year also. I know I posted a teaser pic of them in the Bolens disease thread but they are pretty cool weights but they definitely belong on the Bolens. 

I don't know what I will do for weights yet. I would like to either get some that will work with the holding rod used on the John Deere mounting bracket or try and have a couple made with a BH logo.

Of course since I have been a good boy lately I had the camera out in the garage with me yesterday and took a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0449.JPG
  • DSC_0450.JPG
  • DSC_0451.JPG
  • DSC_0452.JPG
  • DSC_0453.JPG

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Well, the price of those weight brackets just went up! Looks good on there, George!

• NUTNDUN and Alc have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:24 AM

Those look about size of JD ones I have on back of my L130.  Bought the bracket and weights at Lowe's I think. Pair of wieghts didn't cost that much, had  a Deere cast in them. Not sure if still offered? Seems like any suitcase type is expensive when I see them used, not sure why when just a simple casting and easy to make money on?

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Hey that worked out great George, you could always grind the Deere off would take a little time. Or there are some others out there that had hanging weights just a matter of finding what works.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 12:33 PM

That is a miracle all 4 bolt holes aligned like that!  Love those weights!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Looks great! I want one for the JB!
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#7 Burl OFFLINE  

Burl
  • Member No: 42087
  • 111 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:05 PM

That is just too cool !! Looks factory , and some red will really make it a slick job !

• NUTNDUN and KennyP have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:47 PM

That is a miracle all 4 bolt holes aligned like that!  Love those weights!

It is a miracle but it also has me wondering. Those four holes are exactly in line with each other. The only difference is the holes on the Bush Hog are for 3/8" bolts and the holes in the John Deere weight bracket are for 1/2" bolts.

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:55 PM

I may have a set that will work on there trade ya for the fmc's....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, suitcase weights, weight bracket