skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 08:37 PM

A big t of tonights progress. Note the band saw on theedge of tthe bench, its a second unit I grabbed today from my mom's place. She's in a nursing home now so I needed to get it out of the here before it got taken by someone else.
Now for the wings...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150107_194614.jpg
  • IMG_20150107_194622.jpg
  • IMG_20150107_194650.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#32 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,196 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Looks like a lot of tedious work.Can't wait to see the final product, good luck and keep the pics coming. Thanks Tom

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#33 icecream4070 OFFLINE  

icecream4070
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 47309
  • 61 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:58 PM

What radio do you plan on using on it spektrum or what?

#34 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 04:27 AM

My radios of choice at the moment, are JR Propo for aircraft and KO Propo for ground vehicles. I may install a 2.4 module in my JR radio , but the only issue is I already have a pile of planes on the same transmitter, and would need to update all the other receivers.
One thing that I am going to do is NOT use an ignition engine for this plane, that causes a ton more greif from RF interference. I have seen so many others have radio troubles from this with all the flying wires rattling and such .

All the surfaces will be pull-pull cables so as to be true, and I am going to try and keep all the servos as close to the reciever as possible to minimize any noise from long servo leads.
This is my second giant plane with larger than 8' wing span, so I have some experience with the radio issues and long servo leads. Chokes dont allways work well and sometimes even cause more grief.
Time will tell.

#35 icecream4070 OFFLINE  

icecream4070
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 47309
  • 61 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Ok i got a specktrum for a plane sitting in my room that i dont have anything to put it in

#36 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 12:02 PM

so I have some experience with the radio issues and long servo leads.

Your no fun. Those hits keep you on your toes. :D

You and your airplane talk are causing problems around here. I spent the day yesterday sorting through engines and running some. Was kind of fun and I love the smell of Castor oil. My beloved old Enya 80 is no longer usable.  :(

#37 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 06:52 PM

LOL, nothin better than nitro in the morning. Sad to hear you lost your Enya ,I like Saitos and Magnums the best.

#38 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:01 AM

You want to know what makes me ugly!! When you order something, pay $15+dollars for shipping and this was a week ago,and still not recieved the order...... ITS 2015 PEOPLE!! The days of mail order are over!!! They took the money right away, so I expect my order right away!
Dang, now I'm held up... Ok I'll get off the soap box now LOL.
1st wing is all framed up,but not glued ...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150111_080937.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, January 11, 2015 - 08:12 AM.

• Cvans, MFDAC and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#39 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hurry up and wait, it's just part of the mail order game.  :mad2:

#40 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 04:02 AM

Well I finally received my supplies and got on with finishing up that wing, only 3 more to go LOL. Now it should go a little better, as figuring out all the little neuaunses has been done.
After seeing how much glue is needed to glue up one of these bad larry,s I am going to have to get more thin CA! And just for anyone looking to possibly build something, don't use Pacer products Zap glues... They are lousy! BSI industries or Balsa USA have the best CA's on the shelf !!
  • Alc, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#41 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:32 AM

don't use Pacer products Zap glues... They are lousy! BSI industries or Balsa USA have the best CA's on the shelf !! 

That's an interesting statement. I'd be interested in knowing what it is that makes you feel this way? I think I have 3 different brands out there right now. I don't mix them though. I've been using CA's since they first appeared on the market and have not really notice any difference except some medium glues are thicker than others.

If ordering some to keep on hand the extra is placed in a zip-lock bag and put in the freezer till needed. I've had some in there for over a year with no ill affects. Don't keep the kicker in close proximity to the CA. When spraying kicker move the glue bottle out of the area. Even the vapors will accelerate the aging of the CA. A small fan blowing across the work table helps with this and keeps the eyes from watering. I use a ceiling fan. 

Your project is coming along nicely. How's the Quality of the kit? The last Balsa USA kit that I built was a Swizzle Stick back in the 80's.

Edited by Cvans, January 14, 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#42 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 03:58 PM

On the glues I notice the set time and penatration is way better on the "pro" glues, the zap stuff takes forever to set and runs everywhere you don't want it to because of poor penetration . I too keep the extra in the freezer.
As for the kit.... Well it leaves a lot for the imagination, and the plans dont match some of the parts so I needed to go through every single piece and identify they would work.... Found that 2 spars( balsa 1/4x3/8 x 42" long needed to be at least 45" long, with incorrect reference of this . it took me a while to figure this out and fix the short spars with splice at the wing tip. This was the best and safest place, and it is also sheeted there as well so all will be fine. But this discrepency cost me a ton of time and head scratching thats for sure...
  • KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#43 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 05:34 PM

But this discrepency cost me a ton of time and head scratching thats for sure... 

That's too bad. This hobby is suppose to be fun. You've been a good inspiration for me. I'm planning on finishing the Robin Hood 80 and spent time getting the shop ready. Covering is not one of my favorite parts but usually turns out OK.

You planning on using fabric on your project  or plastic film?

Thanks for the updates.

• skyrydr2 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#44 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:24 PM

Solartex fabric with true wing stitching because the wing is undercambered. Man the plans for this plane are somthing else..... Still on the same wing, as the instructions barely coinside qith the plans and they have a lot to be desired....
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:35 AM