14 replies to this topic

#1 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 04:48 PM

clearing%20driveway.png

The small cow town I live in had to put this in the monthly news letter . how sad.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, what's sad is that even with the instructions, most people will still not do it correctly then call the town office and complain about the plow drivers.
  • NUTNDUN, hamman, truck21 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I spent 10 winters driving one of the snow plows for the local street dept.  

Lots of people told me I was #1.  :(   A couple even threw snow shovels at the truck!

For some strange reason the next snow they always had more of a pile at the end of their driveway. 

I had hydraulic angle plow and I'd straighten the angle some to really get a bunch in front of the blade then just as I got to their driveway I'd angle it full tilt. 

I fight fire with fire.  :mad2:

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, daytime dave and 6 others have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I too drove a snow plow for many years.

It is good the town sent out the flyers, as some still won't understand, but at least they have been "fore-warned"

GTractor....I know what you are talking about!

The ones that complain the most do get attention....maybe not the type they want, but they do get attention!! :bigrofl:

Edited by KC9KAS, January 01, 2015 - 09:19 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 10:45 PM

If your not smart enough to clear a space for the plow to push the snow before he gets to your drive way you deserve to get piled up!

Another one that bothers me is the guys who dont clear a path to the mail box, they expect the usps drivers to wrangle their way through a 5 foot drift of snow to get to your mailbox on the side of the road

• Gtractor, Alc, T Guiles and 2 others have said thanks

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 12:00 PM

A place I used to live, after a snow fall, the snowplow ridge would be 3' to 4' on my side of the street and almost non-existent on the other side.  The street was in a loop.  The operator would put down the wing and clear most of the road in one pass, turn around and finish in the opposite direction.

Turned out that a cute lady lived on the other side of the street and worked at a local coffee shop frequented by the plow operators.

I wasn't going to win that one - so I bought a snow thrower.

• DH1, MH81, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 12:06 PM

A place I used to live, after a snow fall, the snowplow ridge would be 3' to 4' on my side of the street and almost non-existent on the other side. The street was in a loop. The operator would put down the wing and clear most of the road in one pass, turn around and finish in the opposite direction.

Turned out that a cute lady lived on the other side of the street and worked at a local coffee shop frequented by the plow operators.

I wasn't going to win that one - so I bought a snow thrower.

You could've gotten a job at the coffee shop too... :poke:
  • KennyP, pigsitter and Ron Dziedzic have said thanks

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I love when they go out and have EVERYTHING cleaned up from the road to their front door BEFORE the plow has even gone the first time.  Then they run out and start doing it again and give you dirty looks or yell that you plowed them shut.  Why don't they just wait till the road is cleared before they do their drives?  It doesn't make sense to me.

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:47 AM

I spent 10 winters driving one of the snow plows for the local street dept.  ...

I too drove a snow plow for many years. ...

Around here, we call guys like you two "Mail box harvesters".   :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 02, 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 1 other said thanks

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Around here, we call guys like you two "Mail box harvesters".   :D :D :D

I never plowed one down....on purpose, but I sure did shake a bunch...We don't have home PO delivery in town, so the "mail" boxes were newspaper boxes....Therefore I did not commit a felony!

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:29 AM

That sketch is what you might call common sense in print.  Been doing this exact thing for years now.  I clear in front of the mailbox and beyond.  I like to give the mail carrier enough room to get in and out smoothly so they don't have to cut the wheels too hard.  Even after all that combined with taking my plow and widening the road after the township plow has gone through, they still manage to plow me in along with putting a nice pile in front of the mailbox just as I put the tractor away.  Of course, the mail always comes before I can get the tractor back down to redo everything that had just been undone.  I can never win unless you count more seat time as a win.  Life on a rural back road.  The best was 1993.  We got so much snow so fast that we didn't get mail for three days.  It took almost that long to get the road opened up.  And here I am this year, I don't even have the snow plow on yet.  No snow so far.

• MH81 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:22 AM

I'm glad to hear of some considerate plow drivers. We live on a one way street with parking only on the right side. The twenty plus years we have lived here guess where all the snow goes when plowed....up against all the cars. After digging my car out one morning only to get it buried again I flagged the driver down to ask why they do this every year. He said the plows are set up at the garage tilted to the right & they can't change them. Every now & then a driver will go the other way pushing snow on the opposite side of the street. This gets so frustrating especially since I help dig other people out too.
  • MH81 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#13 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm pretty grateful for the plowmen and their efforts.  They do a bang up job around here, considering it's rural, and we get hammered with lake effect even on otherwise sunny days, whenever it's cold.  They spend a LOT of time up in that truck, and when it doesn't snow, get out with loaders and road graders to move the banks back and cleanup dead ends, intersections, etc.

One of our family friends is a county DOT supervisor, and he tells us stories of the days that really kill his guys...holidays, family events, storms, Sunday mornings, hunting season, fishing season, etc.  I feel for them (and linemen), when the weather is at it's worst, and they know they have to work their hardest away from home.  Homeowners and motorists need to take it upon themselves to do their part, and make sure they are policing themselves, as the plow divers have all of us to worry about.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#14 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 01:30 AM

Clean all the snow off the county road, before the plows get to us, in front of my property. Not a busy road, so very little traffic to watch for. I can then put it where I want it. Also clean in front of one of the neighbors property. No problem this year, no snow so far, we are about two feet behind an average year. Have a blower on a JD 314 and if needed a Kubota with bucket and rear blade. Enjoy the seat time, too!. Have even picked up a few odd plowing snow job, with people seeing me out.
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 richwoodrocket ONLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:34 PM

It boggles my mind why that isn't common sense.