Will it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hurt or help to throw my fireplace ashes over the garden this winter?  I burn mostly oak with some ash and elm thrown in for sngs.  My garden is 40 by 60, or will be this next season.  I turn under bagged grass clippings as well as the falls dropped leaves before planting in spring.  This coming spring I plan on dumping a couple large bucket loads of old cow or horse manure, have access to both.  I will also have 9-10 month old chicken manure to spread, but may let it sit another year before using as I hear it is way to .. hot that young?  I can't wait for spring, got garden fever already!!

• NUTNDUN, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have never been much of a gardener or very good at gardening. Have you every had the soil tested? As long as the soil isn't already acidic the ashes should be good for it. I know there a others on here that are way better at this green thumb thing than I am so let them chime in on it.

• hamman said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,894 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 04:42 PM

I threw mine in last year. I know you know this, but don't burn wood with nails. Recipe for flat tires.  Noel

• hamman, Nato77 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,730 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:48 PM

I always put our wood stove ahses in or around the flower gardens here at the house and when I had a garden I put them in there as well.   never seemed to hurt anything.  By the sounds of it your will have very rich soil to start with so you may want to watch out you don't burn the soil!!!!  Good luck

• propane1 said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:58 PM

If you spread it around, it's good for the soil.  As I understand it, it actually raises the PH and lowers the acid level, so don't put ashes around blueberries.  It's also a great addition to compost piles.

• Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I've heard that ashes are great for flowers and the garden. I don't burn wood so I can't attest to the validity of this. I did, however, find that my BIL that lives 4 hours away from me has a bunch of 8yr old cow manure. We have to go there to look at a forklift he has so we are going to take a trailer and the back of the truck and fill them to put in the garden. Good and dried out with no heat.                                                                                                                         Roger

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,554 Thanks
  • 3,082 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 01:02 PM

Old cow manure is great, but watch for bale twines if you're using a cultivator. Sisal ones are fine as they will rot down, but plastic is a real pain to pick out of the tines. I find that wood ashes help deter cut worms. It seems that my seed catalogues start coming right when I want to get writing Christmas cards, and simply must be looked at--- a lot of folks on my card list got phone calls this year instead, lol.  If I'm hesitant about how "hot" the manure may be, I try and apply it between the rows and work it in there, then after the garden is off in the fall I work it diagonally to mix it in uniformly.

• Alc said thank you

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,653 Thanks
  • 1,685 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:25 PM

This is what I found in a book I have. Careful not to ad to much.

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails

• Ash 001.jpg

• lyall and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 09:53 PM

There are cultures in Africa that practice "Slash & burn" techniques, where-in an area is clear cut of trees which are then piled in a central location and burned.  The burning helps kill weed seed and produces ash to enrichen the soil.   The farmer will grow one crop, then clear cut and burn another area the following year.  I'd say that as long as the ashes are spread out and turned in, you should be fine. 

• oldedeeres said thank you