• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hi all, well its winter here in MN -8*F this am and barely got above 0*F today so the shop furnace is humming and the LP is flowing oh well at least its warm in the shop. So got to working on a couple of projects first is a simple tool to pull small stumps and small scrub brush come next spring. Second is a sleeve hitch adapter for the PK, got a couple of things to do to complete it then paint and it will be ready to go.

HPIM1789.JPG HPIM1790.JPG HPIM1787.JPG HPIM1786.JPG HPIM1783.JPG HPIM1784.JPG HPIM1788.JPG

• NUTNDUN, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Glad to hear you are getting some shop time in. I am curious to see how well the stump / brush puller works. We have a couple of brush stumps we could pull out. Would love to have something to work on bigger tree stumps as we have a few of those as well.

You did a nice job on the sleeve hitch adapter. Only issue I foresee is the possibility of the cross plate twisting if you get hooked on something really hard. Are you going to reinforce it or try it and see how it goes?

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi George, are you thinking about the span between the 3 pt pins? The bar is a full 2" X .5" and the only thing I have to pull that may put stress on it is a 10" Brinly plow only other implement is a 28" sleeve hitch tiller which will push more that pull, but time will be the true test. The stump puller will be used for brush  etc up to 2 / 3 inches again will see how it works out. Thanks

• NUTNDUN and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:07 PM

I think you did an awesome job on the sleeve hitch and the brush puller is a terrific idea. The reason I mentioned about the twisting on the bar going between the 3pt arms is because even with a 10" Brinly plow it will see quite a bit of stress. I still have to post about the sleeve hitch adapter on my Bush Hog HD-12 but I have to repair it. The ground down at Daniel's plow day was pretty hard in the one field and I think is where it happened. It broke the weld on one of the adjusting nuts for the plow.

If it would happen to twist or bend you could always add a piece of angle iron on the backside or a piece of square tubing. I would try it and see how it does. The Power King isn't a small tractor and has plenty of pull. If your ground that you will be plowing is average or on the softer side you may never have an issue. You definitely shouldn't have any problems with the tiller.

• tinbender7 and MNGB have said thanks

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hi George, I thik I understand now what your saying about twisting that my bottom strap may bend and that has cross my mind the intention is to weld a backbone on the the bottom starp if that can't hold it I'll go with some of the 2" X .5"  maybe should have gone that way to begin with.

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:16 AM

Nice choker cable for shrubs!

Good fab job on the clevis hitch too!

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:37 AM

I too will be interested in the choker brush puller... keep us posted there...   Thanks.!!

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Finished up on the sleeve hitch today got it reenforced and its in the paint room will be ready to go Friday, here a couple of pics

HPIM1792.JPG HPIM1793.JPG .

#9 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Nice work !   But that is not the area I would be concerned about.   I would be more worried about the flat bar across the center that the actual plow hooks to.  I suspect that a good root or rock may bend this un-braced flat bar right in the middle.

Edited by Glenn Ayers, January 01, 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Nice work !   But that is not the area I would be concerned about.   I would be more worried about the flat bar across the center that the actual plow hooks to.  I suspect that a good root or rock may bend this un-braced flat bar right in the middle.

I'm thinking the same thing. Most sleeve hitches are made from angle iron to strengthen this area.

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Do you guys really think a 10" Brinly plow will twist the flat bar it is a full 2" X .5"? I know its a little longer span wise than a lot of sleeve hitches I could ruin my paint a weld some flat stock on the bottom.

#12 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 05:23 PM

Trust me ... 2" x 1/2" bar steel doesn't have very much strength when force is applied to the center on the flat plain.    You could just about bend a 3" long length of this over your knee.   Try your plow out & see ... it's always more fun to fix it after its twisted up.

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi Glenn, you have stronger hands and knees then me but then again mine hurt from arthritis :D . Yea you guys got me thinking and I looked at a couple of sleeve hitches in the shop (should have done that before painting and they are braced) so that will be on the list to do tomorrow  when I get done the thing will so heavy I won't need wheel wts :dancingbanana:

Edited by MNGB, January 01, 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#14 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 06:38 PM

I would have started out with 2" x 2" x 1/4" wall square tube.  These PK's can apply a lot of pulling force !

Looks like you may have a problem bracing it now.  Maybe another 2 x 1/2  flat bar ... welded over near the end ... then heat & bend it over the round tube ... then back down to the other end & weld.  This will "Triangulate"  the bar & make it strong.

You may need to make this additional part out of two pieces of steel instead of bending it over the tube.  This will let you get a good weld to the tube.  If you don't get it welded to the tube good .. it will still bend your original flat bar.

PkBrace.JPG

Edited by Glenn Ayers, January 01, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hi all, well its finished painted and stacked neatly next to the 3 PT lift (well it the choker cable and lift are in a pile  :wave: ) now its on to the next project the box blade.

HPIM1797.JPG HPIM1798.JPG HPIM1799.JPG

• NUTNDUN, Alc and KennyP have said thanks