• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Yeah we have sure come a long way , in some ways parts are more available than years previous with the internet.

Back when I started messing with these there were only 2 places local to get parts for Bolens 

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#17 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:03 PM

The guy doing this is out for nothing but money!!!! i have tried saving tractors from him but he gives me an outrageous price and then goes on telling me what he can get for the parts when he parts it out....in so many words he adds up what he can get for all the parts and that's the price he wants no negotiating. take it or leave it.  The first time I went to purchase a tractor from him he told me a price and i was ok with it because it was for the rest of the tractor including the deck electric pto...basically everything minus an engine.  I told him I would be down in a hour or so.  Then a thought occurred to me as I was getting my straps and stuff ready that the deck may be to big for my ranger which I had at the time so I called him back( 20 min later ) and asked if It would be ok if I took the deck off when I came down and he told me that he had gotten a better deal and also sold the electric pto!!!!  I told him basically what I thought of him and that he is nothing but a money grabber and you could care less what happens to these machines and he tried to give me a line about what the parts are worth and I hung up on him.  I could have wasted 20 bucks in gas to drive down there and then found this out.  I ended up posting on craigslist telling people this along with everyone I knew in the area that works on these tractors. Then the next day I found out that he would flag postings of stuff I had for sale just to get back at me for it.  Then we had some more words and that was it. I still tell everyone I know about that guy including the dealer up the road from him that used to be a bolens dealer and would refer me to him for used parts.   :mad2:  

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, OldBuzzard and 4 others have said thanks

#18 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the tip. Sorry to hear about your ordeal with him.

• Nascar3244888 said thank you

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:27 AM

It seems like a lot of sellers are taking advantage of our concern to save these tractors. They give us the threat of you pay my high price or I will scrap it. Another thing I've noticed with one of my local scrap yards is the high cost of buying something. This year I tried to buy a few things from them but way too pricey. The sad thing is the stuff is still there wasting to the elements.
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I never understood paying "Parted price" for a machine that runs and is complete

I'm glad the dealers who sold these didn't price the machines as a parted price as people never would have been able to afford them!

• superaben and nglauer have said thanks

#21 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:51 AM

Our local scrappers cannot resale anything, once they buy it its lost to the crusher. I have seen so many nice GT's lost that way. I would much rather see one machine fix twenty like the one in the ad might. If it wasn't for people like this I wouldn't be able to afford some parts. Last summer I bought a useed starter and hydraulic lines for my HT23. No way could I have afforded NOS ones... or find the lines if I could.Granted that's a decent looking machine...
  • GTTinkerer, blackjackjakexxix, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#22 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,348 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:17 AM

It only takes a few bad guys to make some of us guys who are trying to help out those who need parts and can't afford the new parts look bad,New is always nice but sometimes the price isn't affordable,and you can't justify the cost

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, January 01, 2015 - 12:22 PM.

• LPBolens, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,401 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 10:23 AM

It only takes a few bad guys to make some of us guys who are trying to help out those who need parts and can't afford the new parts,New is always nice but sometimes the price isn't affordable,and you can't justify the cost

How true!

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and superaben have said thanks

#24 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:37 PM

It only takes a few bad guys to make some of us guys who are trying to help out those who need parts and can't afford the new parts look bad,New is always nice but sometimes the price isn't affordable,and you can't justify the cost

You said it, Rick.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#25 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:51 AM

Hey All,

This is a very interesting Topic. Being an average GT lover of most any brand, I personally like the fact that there are some very nice enthusiast around for me to get parts to keep and or get my tractors going. I also fund my hobby by buying and selling for my next project which I am sure most of us do. I believe I am fair in pricing and describing my sales as most buyers don't haggle with my asking price. That said my most recent project being a couple HT 20's, I went on the forum asking some questions and I received a couple responses from you all having the parts and or part numbers for my needs. This is a very nice forum with a lot of very nice members that are very helpful to me. I sold an attachment to Rick a while back and new that he dealt with Bolens tractors and being as he is less than an hour away I made my way to his shop for parts that I wanted and needed. All I can say is thank you Rick for your support to a great hobby. Your parts were priced very reasonably and where of great quality and without you I would still be looking for a lot of items. I did not see perfect tractors setting around waiting to be parted that looked as if they could be still of use. I did see a well organized shop that had more smalls both nos, reproduced, and or used that where ready to go.

A big thank you again to Rick and anyone that can help us out in our hobby, without you we would all have nothing but potential parts machines.

Well take care All and have a great day!

Mike

• GTTinkerer, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks