24 replies to this topic

#1 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I can understand why one would like to part out a tractor that needs too much work to be worth fixing, but this seller states, "This tractor starts right up, runs good, drives and has hydro lift." It even looks good! I know it's good for the guys looking for parts, but I think it's a shame to part some tractors. :( How do you guys feel about it?

This was just listed today. Maybe someone on here can save it before he starts dismantling it, if he hasn't already. :anyone:  I wish I could.

http://philadelphia....4825038049.html

Edited by Toolfoole, December 30, 2014 - 07:13 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:21 PM

This isn't the greatest conversation starter on here. It is to bad that such a nice tractor would be parted. I would love to have it in my collection.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:24 PM

If I was in a better financial situation I would attempt to save it. Shame to see it parted. I wonder how much they would sell the whole tractor for if they are considering parting it out.

• Nascar3244888 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#4 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:33 PM

A real shame for sure.  Problem is a junky tractor doesn't have enough good saleable parts to make it profitable to part out.  Once a nice tractor like this one falls into the hands of a scrapper or otherwise non-collector,  its all about how much profit it can generate.

:wallbanging:

• Bolens 1000, Nascar3244888, Delmar and 2 others have said thanks

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:37 PM

In the one pic you can tell the engine is running. I hope he didn't have it running for too long without the flywheel shroud on and also without an air filter.

• Nascar3244888, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm going to just keep quiet on this one ........

Its always the nice ones that are parted because the real junker tractors are usually just as worn and broken down as the machine you have that needs parts!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 truck21 OFFLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hey George,

Is your dad on his way down to pick this up yet?

Don

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Money's in the Good Parts, not the worn. Just look at what Joes Outdoor Power does to many tractors that look better than the ones's I'm buying parts for!  He even puts the  pix of the tractor the parts are off of in the posting at bottom. Parting is where the big bucks are, just I always wonder what happens to the unwanted parts and slow moving stuff. Must be alot of that stuff to throw away I bet.

#9 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 12:02 AM

One word glgrumpy " SCRAP" some folks don't care about anything but money.

• Nascar3244888 said thank you

#10 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 10:22 AM

I don't think its fair to give ALL parts suppliers a bad name,most of you guy know me and know my prices are very fair,if you didn't have a used parts supplier where would you get your parts,you sure aren't going to find all this stuff NEW,I try my best not to part out good machines,by no means am I making a killing doing this,time and labor has to be worth something,just my thoughts
  • GTTinkerer, KennyP, truck21 and 5 others have said thanks

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Money's in the Good Parts, not the worn. Just look at what Joes Outdoor Power does to many tractors that look better than the ones's I'm buying parts for!  He even puts the  pix of the tractor the parts are off of in the posting at bottom. Parting is where the big bucks are, just I always wonder what happens to the unwanted parts and slow moving stuff. Must be alot of that stuff to throw away I bet.

One of the reasons I got into selling new and replacement parts is I was tired of seeing stuff get scrapped. Alot of  parts people are looking for are deemed NLA but do they really have to be? I dont think so and thats why I decided to get into this business to save the history and preserve these machines by bringing back nla parts and keeping tractors whole.

If we all work together we can save this stuff, The gears are already in motion with guys making ignition parts, gears, ect. Alot of us are trying in the Bolens field and I can only hope some other guys take on the different brands like sears,gravely ect to save them as well. Chances are most of the used stuff is just as worn as the stuff you already are trying to replace.

• Nascar3244888, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Go to Flee-Bay and price the parts,, used... they would add up to more than the tractor as a whole...

#13 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I agree,trying to keep these machines out there is whats its all about,Brian,I'm glad to see that you are making an effort to reproduce some of the stuff,but what are you going to do when you need engine parts,NOBODY is going to invest the kind of money it would take to replace engine blocks,rods,pistons,etc for the Wisconsin,Kohler and Tecumseh and some of the Briggs engines,once the new stuff is gone its gone,there's a lot of other parts on these tractors that will never be reproduced,would just not be cost effective for all the models out there,I agree there is some used parts out there on ebay that are rather inflated,but there are also some new parts that are bringing crazy numbers,would you rather see someone selling some good used stuff or have some scrap guy junk all of it and no parts be out there

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, December 31, 2014 - 12:08 PM.

• farmerall, WrenchinOnIt, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#14 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'm a mix of both worlds.  I've parted out some equipment as well as selling new parts. 

I hate to part out a tractor, but if I know it is not worth my time and energy to make it right again (as in the one that I did that got into an argument with a falling building and lost...) I'd rather see the parts go at a fair price to someone else to make their special tractor alive. 

I'd rather part out a tractor that has seen many better days than let it sit outside for years and years until I finally decide to do something with it and then realize I have done more damage by letting it sit.  Or (worse yet) I die and the family decides the scrap yard pays better than a collector!

There will always be a market for used parts.  I'm a Clinton engine guy, but I've even parted out a Clinton or two.  Why?  It is better to see one good running engine than two junkheaps.

Its our job as collectors to make sure that we pay what the tractor is worth.  That'll keep more whole units alive.  If we are really passionate about keeping one alive, take our money where our mouth is and buy it for the price that the seller expects.  I don't mean to be rude about it, but that's how I feel.

My philosophy:

Better to take two tractors and build one good one (or sell parts to keep 20 good machines running) than have 20 tractors that end up scrapped due to a lack of parts.

Ben W.

• GTTinkerer, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#15 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,516 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Well I try to look at the big picture and how it effects me in my little one : Bolens collecting, tinkering , restoring, etc. I can't find everything new and have paid (surly what would be deemed exuberant prices) for parts that were ,my thinking was: want vs need vs cost vs availablity etc. and have chosen accordingly. Without some quality used parts from high quality people some of my stuff would still be sitting.

Kudos to the guys that take the time to do all the aforementioned activities ( in this topic ) to help the Bolens hobbyists ( or any make for that matter). I realize some do this for a LIVING and the cost of business you SHOULD know HAS to be factored into pricing and I respect as such.

When I first started "messing around" with the brand 25+ yrs ago , The Internet , Sonny's , Sam's , etc weren't known or around ( no inference intended to who was where & when) you just went to your local dealer and the price WAS the price , things change , free enterprise won't.

Back when Gardenway folded & MTD took over a PROMINENT Bolens dealer who befriended me mostly based on my purchases, I'm sure, sent me a complete interchange list for every seal, bushing, bearing, race, belt , and on and on etc. even a list of parts still available from MTD ( some still are) I bet you wouldn't get that list now BECAUSE he makes A LIVING doing it ! Hey MTD wants $3.10 for a .22 cent o-ring that gets resold and so on and so forth. Us Bolens hobbyist's need all you guys. Need and fair market value will sort the rest................... Just my thoughts

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, December 31, 2014 - 02:58 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Rock farmer and superaben have said thanks