• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,384 Thanks
  • 3,657 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Isn't winter blend just alcohol added to the gas to help from water in fuel from freezing. ????    Just wondering, Noel

#32 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,230 Thanks
  • 714 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Summer fuel and winter fuel has to do with emissions. Summer fuel(gasoline) has something(I don't remember what) to reduce emissions so you don't get as much ozone depletion and smog in high attainment areas. Summer fuel doesn't flash off as quickly and you get slightly better fuel economy with summer blend gas but it's probably not noticeable in just one tank of gas.

Years ago winter diesel would be cut with something like kerosene to lower the waxing temperature so fuel didn't gel in the lines or filters. With the ULSD of today, I don't think that's done anymore. The DEF will freeze at 17 degrees so it's more of an issue than gelling diesel. Our Canadian neighbors will be more versed on winter diesel fuels.

To your spark problem, install new plugs, once they get wet with gas you can throw them away, steal a good coil from another vehicle and see what happens. In my experience, condensers either work or they don't. I've never actually had a bad one but I always replace points and condenser at the same time. With GM cars you had to. Shoot some WD40 in your cap and that will get rid of any water. Sometimes a hairline crack can be impossible to see and drive you nuts chasing it.

Sanding the contacts inside the cap and on the rotor button opened up the gap between the rotor tip and the contacts and probably makes it useless now. I've scrapped the tits with a pocket knife to get things going to, but ultimately a new cap and button are needed.

Good luck.
  • propane1 said thank you

#33 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,791 Thanks
  • 2,362 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 11:56 PM

huh and somehow I have the best luck with Champions, run them in everything I can.... definitely in every small engine I ever swap the plug in!

• propane1 said thank you

#34 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:38 AM

The 140 runs again. I borrowed an inline spark tester from a friend at work (I have to pick a couple up now) and was able to quickly find the issue with dads help and a 50 degree day. It turned out to be points gap. I never touched the points and I tried stopping the engine perfect with the starter the one night when checking or proper gap (0.20") and confirmed it to be right that night. Well, one like myself should have realized my ignorance in methods. Dad turned the engine by hand (has hand crank hole but no hand crank pulley...) and checked out the gap I never adjusted and told me it was more like 0.60", so a quick adjustment later and we had spark again... Picky thing must have run good with too much gap somehow... Anyway, on with the story. We had spark but no run and funny halting power. Turns out I screwed up in my distributor cap swapping around when I put the original back on. I was one off in proper order (what I get for working by flashlight in 20 degrees I guess lol). All wires back in position and my trusty stead started immediately and sounded better than ever. I let it run for probably 20 minutes (love the sound of it). As I walked back to turn it off it stopped. A quick inspection after turnning the key off confirmed my suspicions... Add more gasoline... Next time lol. Sitting here now writing a troubleshooting guide to engines so this goes better on the next project.
  • Alc and UncleWillie have said thanks

#35 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,213 Thanks
  • 8,181 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 01:07 AM

So how hard of a time is dad giving you now?
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#36 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,409 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 02:11 AM

So how hard of a time is dad giving you now?

None. He struggles with troubleshooting at times as well. Just turns out he has more experience around engines that helps him pinpoint issues more thoroughly, and with less emotion. I tend to go after it in the wrong mindset and start changing parts around because I don't approach these things with a clear mind (I get frustrated too easily I guess). I have made my troubleshooting instructions and think they will work great for me. If I just go down the list in order that is lol.
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,469 Thanks
  • 29,555 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 08:00 AM

huh and somehow I have the best luck with Champions, run them in everything I can.... definitely in every small engine I ever swap the plug in!

So YOU'RE the guy... :rolling:

None. He struggles with troubleshooting at times as well. Just turns out he has more experience around engines that helps him pinpoint issues more thoroughly, and with less emotion. I tend to go after it in the wrong mindset and start changing parts around because I don't approach these things with a clear mind (I get frustrated too easily I guess). I have made my troubleshooting instructions and think they will work great for me. If I just go down the list in order that is lol.

I think that's all our problem at one time or another, getting emotional and jumping steps.
VERY glad to hear you got the 140 running. (Or more to the point, you fixed an issue and got out of the way long enough to allow it to run :poke: )
:D
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you