• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 03:53 AM

Have seen the wall one time. I was to young to get it.
I have seen the moving wall twice. Hard to get my head around the emotions.
I hope to take my children soon. It's been ten years since It was in the area, hope it returns while they will still go with me.
  • BNK said thank you

#17 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Many people were praying about these events at the time including MLK JR

• BNK said thank you

#18 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 06:28 AM

The Marines of Morenci- They led some of the scrappiest high school football and basketball teams that the little Arizona copper town of Morenci had ever known and cheered. They enjoyed roaring beer busts. In quieter moments, they rode horses along the Coronado Trail, stalked deer in the Apache National Forest. And in the patriotic camaraderie typical of Morenci's mining families, the nine graduates of Morenci High enlisted as a group in the Marine Corps. Their service began on Independence Day, 1966. Only 3 returned home.

The Buddies of Midvale- LeRoy Tafoya, Jimmy Martinez & Tom Gonzales were all boyhood friends and lived on three consecutive streets in Midvale, Utah on Fifth, Sixth and Seventh avenues. They lived only a few yards apart. They played ball at the adjacent sandlot ball field. And they all went to Vietnam. In a span of 16 dark days in late 1967 all three would be killed. LeRoy was killed on Wednesday, Nov.22, the fourth anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. Jimmy died less than 24 hours later on Thanksgiving Day.Tom was shot dead assaulting the enemy on December 7, Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.     

• Alc, GTTinkerer and KennyP have said thanks

#19 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Thanks all of you that had to serve there and other conflicts before and after. I'm reading 2 different books right now about a Nam POW and a Sniper. I was a little too young but was 4F in the draft anyway.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory when "The Wall" was completed? '81, '82 maybe? My wife's step-father is a 2 tour Nam vet from Annendale, VA. In-laws had moved out there around '81 to be near his widowed Mom and I think it was 1983 Christmas we went out there to visit them. It was a very cold winter there at the time but we toured sites in DC as much as possible, including "The Wall".

Out of everything we were able to do then "The Wall" has had the most profound, powerful affect on me of any historical monument I ever saw. Very hard to describe the feeling and emotions. FIL wouldn't go with us, he just said "it's over and done". I don't know if he ever went either, before they moved back out here after his Mom passed. Maybe if we could go to Pearl Harbor or Gettysburg "The Wall" experience may be equaled but it's hard to say without just doing it.

DAC

13 NOV 1982...

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 08:46 AM

It has been said that RFK and RMN would occasionally have bi partisan talks together .  Aside from , it is good that the wall and the names on it will last into the future .

• BNK said thank you

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:17 AM

My daughter and I at the traveling wall, about 2002. My good friend from my hometown, Ben Benton is there from 1969, just a few days short when he was killed. Several from my outfit as well, a very bittersweet experience, so much comes flooding back. My daughter went up to the wall and ask me what my service dates were, then she looked at the wall for several minutes, turned to me crying like a baby and said "Dad, you're not on there!"  But part of me is...

ftp://upload.comcast.net/P9130115%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Sorry for the link style posting, my ftp client is not sunctioning for some reason.

Edited by toppop52, January 01, 2015 - 09:24 AM.

• Alc, KennyP and BNK have said thanks

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 09:54 AM

My daughter and I at the traveling wall, about 2002. My good friend from my hometown, Ben Benton is there from 1969, just a few days short when he was killed. Several from my outfit as well, a very bittersweet experience, so much comes flooding back. My daughter went up to the wall and ask me what my service dates were, then she looked at the wall for several minutes, turned to me crying like a baby and said "Dad, you're not on there!"  But part of me is...

ftp://upload.comcast.net/P9130115%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Sorry for the link style posting, my ftp client is not sunctioning for some reason.

Your link asks for a log in!

• toppop52 said thank you

#23 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Got the pic, finally, sorry for the screw up.

25996is.jpg

• MFDAC and BNK have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:19 PM

http://thewall-usa.com/bracelet.asp these were them. Hers were redish if I remember not silver. Meant this to be at the bottom but tablet posted it up here....

little off topic but does anyone remember the metal bracelets that had the mia soliders name on them? My grandmother wore 3 of them for as long as I could remember. She had them on the day she passed away...

I remember asking her why she wore them and she said someone needs to remember these people. I read their names everyday.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 07, 2015 - 11:21 PM.

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks