• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:21 AM

A little history most people will never know.

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall. There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010. The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon of North Weymouth, Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965. There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall. 39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger. 8,283 were just 19 yrs old. The youngest age group, 33,103 were 18 yrs old. 12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 yrs old. 5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 yrs old. One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 yrs old. 997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam. 1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam. 31 sets of brothers are on the Wall. Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons. 8 women are on the Wall, Nursing the wounded. 244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall. The most casualty deaths for a single day was on January 31, 1968

`245 deaths. The most casualty deaths for a single month was May 1968~ 2,415... 

• NUTNDUN, rustyoldjunk, MH81 and 18 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Seeing the wall in person is an emotional experience....

• MH81, GTTinkerer, Sparky and 5 others have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I haven't been to the wall yet but I will before I die. I have some school friends on the wall. My dad was a WWII veteran and visited the wall and said it was very emotional visit for him. Statistics will never tell all the stories and will never let us feel the pain and suffering they felt. The statistics will remind us of those who served the United States with Honor and Pride.                       Thanks BNK I appreciate the information.                                                          Roger.

P.S. I wrote a story dedicated to those who served in the military and especially those who served in Vietnam.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have had the privilege of visiting the Wall! It was very serene, a quiet, thoughtful place. I have also been to the traveling wall and it was very similar. That was 20 years ago.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#5 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:20 AM

Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons. West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

Roger; where might I find the story you wrote? 

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:41 AM

We went  a few years ago , when you see the names like that it does something to you .  Our family was fortunate  that all made it home ,one  shot down , one wounded others unharmed . The next door neighbors brother wasn't , his name is on the wall .

• GTTinkerer, hamman, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#7 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have 2 Vietnam vets in my family . The first was my dad and he is no longer with us he died way to young at the age of 37 . Then the second was my step Dad he was in a tank . I want to say thank you to everyone that served and the ones that never made it back . POW or MIA May they never be forgotten
  • Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:59 AM

I got college deferment exemption in that era which became standard in 1966 . They were not automatic before then . After one year of college in that era my allergies to smells and food colorings etc , that I had not been exposed to before , took it's toll on me . The same symptoms among others made me 4F in 1969 just 3 weeks before drawing lucky number 7 in the first draft

Sometimes - heck most of the time - those statistics drowned out good news of things happening .
  • hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#9 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thank you for the stats, I had an uncle that was in the U.S.M.C and two brothers that served in the Navy during Vietnam, My uncle was in country for 2 tours before returning home to become a drill instructor. I only heard him talk about it one time and that was enough.  

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Beallsville, Ohio with a population of 475 lost 6 of her sons. West Virginia had the highest casualty rate per capita in the nation. There are 711 West Virginians on the Wall.

Roger; where might I find the story you wrote?

The last coal mine before these ones I was at was located in Beallsville, Ohio.  I live really close to there.

I really wish I could find my pictures of DC.  We went there for a pro-coal rally a year or so go.  My company bused us all there and we attended the rally and then we had the day to spend in DC.

I had pictures of all the monuments and memorials.

If you haven't been there I highly suggest a trip.  Everything these is amazing to see, all the history, monuments, memories, buildings, and the great museums.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 30, 2014 - 12:20 PM.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:20 PM

Been to the traveling wall.... Very emotional... Saw one guy from our home town,, ( MIA )  You can't help but shed a tear seeing it...

• GTTinkerer, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:38 PM

LBJ, MacNamara, Westmoreland and many other war leaders should all be in h*ll. They set it up to make it extremely difficult and costly to fight the war. Rediculous "rules of engagement" cost countless American lives. Allowing sancuaries in Loas, Cambodia, and even North Vietnam, helped the NVA to grow in strenght over the years.

Barry Goldwater( a USAF MG) wanted to bomb NV "back to the stoneage" in his 1964 presidential campagn. LBJ lied and got reelected. Then he got us into VN big time on a blown up incident. LBJ operated VN as a "limited war" which didn't work in Korea 12 years before. It didn't work in VN either. The NV finally came to a piece agreement when bombing of NV was resumed. After the US got out of VN the NV invaded and overran the country. To assure their controll of the country they then executed anybody with an education. 

I graduated GHS in 1969. By 1971, 6 classmates had died in VN and twice as many came home wounded. I served as an Army officer after VN and heard alot about what I missed. As is usual, veterans are victims of supid politicians and egomaniacal general officers.

The memorials should remind us of the prices paid for our country (all gave some, some gave all) but, they should also warn us not to repeat the mistakes of the past. 

• Alc, jms180, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 01:26 PM

The best measure of who wins a war is how a countries ' citizens are treated afterward . No contest there .
  • hamman, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 01:38 PM

I was a draftee! Was married with a child on the way. She didn't know what she wanted and divorced me and let the draft board know. I was inducted on Valentines Day, 1968. By July, I was in 'Nam. Luckily, they instituted the early out program. If you had less than 6 months to serve upon returning stateside, you went Home! I extended over there so this would happen. But, it also qualified me for 2 tours as I spent more than 1 year over there. I had it pretty good, being in Fire Direction for a self-propelled artillery unit.

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thanks all of you that had to serve there and other conflicts before and after. I'm reading 2 different books right now about a Nam POW and a Sniper. I was a little too young but was 4F in the draft anyway.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory when "The Wall" was completed? '81, '82 maybe? My wife's step-father is a 2 tour Nam vet from Annendale, VA. In-laws had moved out there around '81 to be near his widowed Mom and I think it was 1983 Christmas we went out there to visit them. It was a very cold winter there at the time but we toured sites in DC as much as possible, including "The Wall".

Out of everything we were able to do then "The Wall" has had the most profound, powerful affect on me of any historical monument I ever saw. Very hard to describe the feeling and emotions. FIL wouldn't go with us, he just said "it's over and done". I don't know if he ever went either, before they moved back out here after his Mom passed. Maybe if we could go to Pearl Harbor or Gettysburg "The Wall" experience may be equaled but it's hard to say without just doing it.

DAC

• GTTinkerer, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks