• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Finally found a 1988 Dodge D-50 4x4 sport cab for $2000.  94,000 1 owner miles.  Talked to owners son who is selling it for his dad who no longer drives.  We haven't struck a deal yet but my hopes are high.  These small pickups are tough and powerful with a 2.6L mitsubishi engine.  They will take just about anything you throw at them.  If we make the deal I will drive home from west texas on the Jan 7th, spend 4 days at home with my wife and then drive to Utah and pick it up.  I have owned 7 of these little trucks in the las 24 years and when i sold the last one 9 years ago I told my wife if I ever find another one like my first one I would buy it to keep.  I told her about it last night and her response was "whatever you want its something we both like", which was opposite of what I was expecting. 

• rustyoldjunk, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:22 AM

I remember those!  They were way cool and the same as a Mitsubishi Mighty Max.  I wanted one of those in the worst way when I was younger.  They even looked tough.  Congrats on finding one because you just don't see them on the road anymore.  Of course, we expect pictures.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Those were neat little trucks.  Almost bought one when I was in high school.  Almost had the deal made, when I decided to crawl underneath it, and seen the frame had been patched in numerous spots because it had rusted through.

Neat trucks, but they didn't survive in the states that use road salt.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Neat trucks, but they didn't survive in the states that use road salt.

I don't think much of anything did.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 11:23 AM

Dad drove an '85 D-50 2 wheel for many years - he loved it.   It was an el-cheap-O model with the 2.2 Mitsubishi [not 2.2 Dodge]and a 4 speed.  One morning he jumped in to go get the mail and it fired right up but wouldn't build oil pressure. Upon checking the oil he found it full so apparently the pump had a problem.   He later got the oil pump primed and it ran fine but he never trusted it to keep oiling so it got parked out back. 

Dad really liked those Mitsubishi's.  He had/has 2 diesels and 2 gassers. 

Congrats on finding just what you wanted.  It took me 13 years to find a good, not rusted to oblivion, 1984 Dodge Rampage.  Having had it one year now I can say it was definately worth the wait!

Edited by Gtractor, December 30, 2014 - 11:32 AM.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#6 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:53 PM

The Dodge Rampage is cool, free spinning 2.2 carb engine and easy on gas. A friend of mine had a rampage and drove it for years.  I worked for Dodge for 10+ years as a line mechanic, and loved working on them and driving them.  This will be #8 if it works out. At 94,000 miles it will be due a timing chain, sprockets, balance chain and sprocket and tensioner.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 41263600899_388729600_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_562x421.jpg

• Gtractor and Cvans have said thanks

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 01:10 PM

BIL had one (d50) 15 years ago. He came in one night with the shifter in his hand wanting to know if I could weld it back on. About 3 months later, he drug it over on a chain wanting me to find out why it was burping through the carb. Valve retainer busted, it ate the valve, snapped the stem off, drove the rest half way through the piston and cracked the head. He was kinda hard on stuff. It sat in the back yard for 5 years. I tried to give it away a few times for free, nobody wanted it. the last guy was bitching about the tires having a flat spots from sitting. I almost gutted it to make a GT, but it was hard enough to move with no engine

• Kmac1 said thank you

#8 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Keep an eye out for a spare carb if you are at the  U-pick.  I had one years ago I got for $180 from a young guy who was told by the older armchair mechanics at the yard that the engine was shot due to the volume of smoke pouring out. It was a real crop duster. I replaced the rings (without removing engine) and sent head to machine shop for good measure. My kids shared the truck through high school and university...never any problems with that truck...

• Kmac1 said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 04:57 PM

Nice looking truck. Hope you can get it. 

• Kmac1 said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I certainly wouldn't kick that truck out of my garage!!

• Kmac1 said thank you

#11 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Just got an email from the owner of the Dodge D-50, said he sold it on Friday. I tried to call him on Thursday to let him know I would put a $1000 deposit on it if he would hold it till I could get there after Jan 12th but he had his phone turned off and it was still off today. I would have liked to have had it, but on the bright side I can take that $2000 and really get busy on my GT's now. Willie
  • Alc said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:38 PM

You win some you lose some.

On the bright side at least you didn't drive to get it and he had sold it. Had that happen before
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#13 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:11 PM

You win some you lose some.

On the bright side at least you didn't drive to get it and he had sold it. Had that happen before

Haven't had that happen, but the last one i bought I drove to Scottsdale Arizona to pickup one that was supposed to be damage free. When I got there the left fender and left door both had damage. I saw the damage about the same time he came around the corner of his house. He could see I was P---ed as I started towards him and almost caught him before he got back in the house, 2 steps too slow. I left with out the pickup and drove to Yuma to see my sister for a couple days and damn if he didn't call me and offer the pickup to me for 1000 less than he wanted. I agreed to take it only if someone else brought out the title and keys and took my money. Long story short i hauled it home did some minor repair on it and sold it a month later for 3500, made 2 grand on that one, less fuel out there and back.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:24 PM

When I was 17 I found a 1969 c 10 2 wheel drive short box for 2500 dollars. I begged and pleaded and bargained with my dad to help me buy the truck. I had 1500 dollars he gave me 1000. I called the guy and told him we would be there Saturday at 10 am to pick up the truck. We rented a tow dolly drove 4 hours to get the truck. About 20 miles away I seen a black c 10 on a trailer heading south on the interstate. Funny coincidence right? No we pulled in and he told us he had just sold. Dad had to hold me back. I called him everything I could think of.

Learned a lesson that some men's word is worthless.

Dad also had the same thing happen as you. We drove several hours to get a 1987 mustang GT thay he wanted. It was on a car lot. Dealer said no rust top is perfect. Got there rust all over it and duct tape holding the top together.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 04, 2015 - 08:26 PM.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 09:51 PM

The 2.6 is a known head failure problem, the heads are expensive and can be scarce. otherwise, decent trucks.
  • Kmac1 said thank you