• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Ok we have 4 cows left on out farm(getting more)!(to eat)!!!. I was just thinking has anyone ever made a mini feed wagon to mix grain or simply just dump in a feeder?. Why I am wondering is because right now we either bag the feed and haul it to the cattle or use a wheelbarrow. So again using my head I figured that I have 8 or 9 gt that could use something to do and it would be a lot easier on my back dads back pulse the fun or running a gt.
  • MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Any of the GT's have a three point and PTO? Maybe go with a three point mini cement mixer, mix feed, transport and unload, it's a thought.

• limebuzz and Alc have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:17 AM

I never thought the  feed would need to be mixed together , How much will you need fit  in the wagon ?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:52 AM

The dump wagon would be pretty easy in concept, it would be the details like making it high enough to get over the edge of the feed box that could make it more challenging.

How are you mixing when you do the wheel barrow?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Lots of ideas come to mind with this concept. Maybe finding some pics of full sized equipment would help. You could put the wagon on larger (car) wheels to raise it higher.

#6 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:40 AM

You could use and frame of a gt leave the rear end under it and the front axel you will have to fab a stering rod to mount where the hitch pin goes so it will follow what ever is pulling it then build a wood v box on it that way you could pull it out to the cows I had built one years ago to haul fire wood from the wood to the house it worked real well
  • Alc said thank you

#7 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:04 AM

We buy mixed already but I was thinking it would be a cool feature to have it mix. We only feed 2 of the 4 cows with that mix the other 2 are on there own pasture and they are in and out of the barn where our feed it stored. If we wheelbarrow it to them we usually take 150/200 lbs. feeder hight is no problem as the calfs we are feeding are about 200-500 lb range so still small enough that they aren't eating out of a h bunk or bunk feeder.

As for the wagon I was thinking of maybe something that resembles a grain cart. Something like lawn mower rear tires? Gravity feed to a tube with auger.
Again this is only a thought because what we are doing now works just fine. Just looking at making it fun I guess lol....
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Building running gear under one made to use on a flat bed pickup would be the easiest way.

triphopper.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Do any of your tractors have a rear pto? Maybe you could find an old beat up snowblower, and incorporate the auger into your build, so that you can use the rear pto to mix the feed. Have gear on the one end of the snowblower so that it's facing towards the rear of the tractor, reduce it down to a smaller gear that has the pto fitting needed, and use a drive shaft between that and the tractor?

As for the discharge, surely you can find a small enough auger at a farm equipment scrapyard some place. Maybe out of an older combine?  

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I am wondering about a ground driven mixer. You could use the auger like Troy mentioned, but mix it on the way to the feedlot.
It would still have to be gravity feed tho
  • johndeereelfman said thank you