Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Are buildings moving these days?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 10:28 PM

When I was a kid, if a car hit a building, it was BIG deal. People just didn't do it that often. Now, it seems as though people are driving into buildings every week, many times more than once per week. What is happening? Are buildings moving now?
  • hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 10:49 PM

As I remember it, there wasn't as many buildings where I grew up. Back when I was a kid living in the country meant being in the country. There wasn't as many cars as there is now and there weren't as many distractions as there is now for drivers. JM2CW !                                                                         Roger

• Gtractor, tinbender7 and David Brown have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:06 AM

There moving,always have---Cars just have such cheesy horns these days.

Really I think some people are just to busy pushing buttons on their phones or in a big rush to get no place fast and then ya got bunch of em that are just crappy drivers,got their drivers license off craigs list.

• TheFarm2004, Gtractor, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,498 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:34 AM

Jeff  your right it's almost a weekly thing around here that some building /house gets hit .  Most of these buildings  are ones built when they were just lightly travel country roads right next to what was once a gravel lane . We have had so much build up here that these same roads are getting used more and more each day . We have lots of commuters that travel and hour or more to work , they fly down these roads in any condition . The road by my house when we built , 30+ years ago didn't have  any lines painted and some spots if two pickups drove by would have to watch the mirrors , though the years it got a single line down the middle , widened every time it was repaved .  Now it has a double yellow line down with white ones on the shoulders . But the houses that were built long ago  are very close to the road , turns just the same . with at least 10 times the vehicle traffic .

• Gtractor, hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,138 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:05 AM

I could buy the "more buildings and traffic" argument if it weren't for one thing, most of this is happening in Pittsburgh where there has always been a lot of buildings.  Much of this is happening with buildings that sit back off the road and have parking lots.  Occasionally it's a house but very few are right out close to the road.  It's been on the rise everywhere, even out where I live which is growing.  Crappy drivers I can believe.  To be honest, I never gave the electronics thing a thought which is weird given the age in which we live.  Cell phones can be a distraction before you realize it.  I hope my daughter ignores hers all the time like she does when I'm in the car with her.  I'm glad I don't work in law enforcement these days.  Those folks have to get so frustrated with the stupidity that's out on the roads and then they have to fear for their lives everyday now as well.  Still, I was always taught to miss buildings if they were in the area.  Makes me glad my house is so far off the road and up on a hill.  If someone hits my place, there's no doubt it was intentional.  Kind of gives new meaning to the old phrase "so and so got their driver's license, better stay off the sidewalks!"  Stay safe out there.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#6 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,730 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:17 AM

I have had an argument like this with a good friend many times, It is the newer cars on that are avail with all the safety features. back in the 60's and 70's when you drove of the road in your car you were lucky to survive it most of the time and if you did manage to walk away you were all beat up and bloody for two weeks and you SLOWED DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!  As far as I can recall that is natural selection, the fittest and smartest survive.  nowadays with al the safety crap in the cars you can drive them into a house at 80mph and walk away like nothing ever happened, if you have allstate they will even replace your car with one a model year newer!!!!!

I personally have witnessed some horrific accidents on the road back and forth to work, it is only 17 miles for me but people absolutely fly on this stretch of raod, and most of the time they walk away, on at least two occasions I have had to stop to help and the driver has told me that this is their 4th or 5th accident!!  the worl need to slow down and relax, remember to enjoy the ride and forget about where you are going.  I would rather get there 10 min late than not at all.

PS  I do not mean to offend anybody but this is my view, have a safe and happy new year.

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,050 Thanks
  • 4,981 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:20 AM

the world need to slow down and relax, remember to enjoy the ride and forget about where you are going.  I would rather get there 10 min late than not at all.

I have to remind myself to slow down and relax sometimes.....

I wonder if it too is that vehicles are so much faster than they used to be.  A fella can go buy a 4 cylinder economy car that will do 0 to 60 faster than a chevelle SS.

When I was in my fast car stage of my early 20s I had a Dodge SRT-4 that was putting down over 400HP.  I'd drive down to the drag strip for run what you brung night.  I could hit a 12 flat in the quarter mile, and would clean house against 90% of your classics with a four cylinder car.  The 10% I lost to were real drag cars that weren't streetable and they were doing 9.5s to 10.5s.

• Alc, hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#8 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Petrj I agree with you . I lived in a farm couminity skinny roads built where the wagon trails used to be rough uneven roads the kind of roads if you met a combine you have to back up and pull in a drive way in the 15 years I lived on that road it became a race way I seen several kids lose there life on that road . That's the reason we moved from there I woke up to find a car upside down in a creek that ran about 20 feet from the house and the kid that was driving the car didn't make it
  • Alc, hamman, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#9 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Had a store in town, In 2 years we had 2 trucks inside the store.

One parked across the street in a filling station left it in neutral no parking brake on a fairly steep incline. When he came out of the gas station his truck was in my front room in my shop.

The second one was a young lady that fell asleep came in the middle of the day ran down my pop machine and still managed to get the front of the truck inside of the showroom, she broke her thumb from the air bag going off.

These were in the mid 90's so it's not a recent thing.

Small town with 3,000 population, however a lot of traffic, Traffic count at that time was 12,000 a day!

Edited by Arti, December 30, 2014 - 08:27 AM.

• Alc, hamman and David Brown have said thanks

#10 Sparky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Another possible explanation for drivers getting off course could be the lines of magnetic variation underground affecting the reading of a compass .

About 50 years ago 6 degrees would have to added to the compass to find true heading . Now it the correction is about 9 degrees in this area to find true heading . Vertigo of the mind maybe for those who don't want to just look out the darn windshield .

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,504 Thanks
  • 7,630 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 03:30 PM

It is a direct result of the generational epidemic of rectal cranial impaction. NO one is responsible for their actions anymore so they can not pay attention to anything.