17 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Today I picked up an old Case 155 tractor. For the past few years I've been driving past a house and this was always sitting in the front yard. It turns out that about 6 years ago the owner drain the fluids form the tractor and then used it for yard art. I always wanted to stop and ask about the tractor but he has no trespassing signs along the driveway so I decided to leave a note in the mailbox. To my surprise he called me and said make an offer.

The tractor is in decnetn shape but hasn't run for 6 years. You'll also notice that it has been repainted, even though it's not the correct colors the paint job was done well. This helped to save the tractor and there isn't any rust on it. Some parts are seized though. I paid 200 for it as it sits. Do you guys think I paid a fair price?

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_1292.JPG
  • DSC02452.JPG
  • DSC02454.JPG
  • DSC02456.JPG
  • DSC02457.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I don't think you paid too much for it. Hopefully with a little maintenance you will get everything moving properly. Can you rotate the engine? I think that would be the biggest concern and I would wonder about the possibility of water or condensation in any of the hydraulic lines and pieces. Make sure you flush it out good with fresh oil.

I have always liked the older Case and Colt tractors. I like the hood and grill on them along with the high wheel.

• farmerall said thank you

#3 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 07:56 PM

I don't think you paid too much for it. Hopefully with a little maintenance you will get everything moving properly. Can you rotate the engine? I think that would be the biggest concern and I would wonder about the possibility of water or condensation in any of the hydraulic lines and pieces. Make sure you flush it out good with fresh oil.

I have always liked the older Case and Colt tractors. I like the hood and grill on them along with the high wheel.

Yes the engine turns fine. He said he drained all of the fluids including the hydraulic system. I will need to figure out what kind of fluid it uses and get some. After that I can fill the system and try to start the engine.

• petrj6 said thank you

#4 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hey Matt,

I dont think you did bad either. what is that muffler from? That doesnt look original.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:10 PM

wow, nice deal.  you even got the decal for the hood.  Missing a few bits and pieces but otherwise great deal.  the rear diff will take 15w-40 diesel oil not hyd oil.  I have one of those with the hydro drive for my daughter to drive around on, she loves it and I like the way they look.  win win!!!!! for me.  there is a manual here in the manuals section for it.

Pete

#6 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hey Matt,

I dont think you did bad either. what is that muffler from? That doesnt look original.

That isn't the muffler. It's just a piece of metal that is sitting on there to keep water out of the carb

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Case guys like 15w-40 Shell rotella oil. It is Diesel or heavy duty in gas engines and items. DO NOT use hydraulic oil or trans fluid for sure, it will not pump right and just slip and worse when hot.

#8 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:51 PM

At first I thought it was repowered but noticed the SG. I have a small box of case nos hardware here you may find something you need in it.

#9 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 09:55 PM

At first I thought it was repowered but noticed the SG. I have a small box of case nos hardware here you may find something you need in it.

Let me know what you have in that box. I'm interested even if I can't use it lol.

#10 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Great I buy I always liked the way the look

#11 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 10:06 PM

wow, nice deal.  you even got the decal for the hood.  Missing a few bits and pieces but otherwise great deal.  the rear diff will take 15w-40 diesel oil not hyd oil.  I have one of those with the hydro drive for my daughter to drive around on, she loves it and I like the way they look.  win win!!!!! for me.  there is a manual here in the manuals section for it.

Pete

Do you know how much fluid the system takes to fill? I've been searching but haven't found the capacity listed yet.

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 06:44 AM

If I remember correctly you fill the trans till all the gears are covered while the machine is running.  I don't remember how much I had to put in mine till it was full, I am thinking it was more than a gallon.

Pete

#13 oldcasecoltguy OFFLINE  

oldcasecoltguy

• Member No: 2168
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:26 PM

It is going to take somewhere between 10-11qts of Shell Rotella T 15w40, I keep the oil level at 2-3/4" from the top of the filler plug.

• farmerall and superaben have said thanks

#14 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:14 PM

It is going to take somewhere between 10-11qts of Shell Rotella T 15w40, I keep the oil level at 2-3/4" from the top of the filler plug.

Thanks. Is Shell Rotella T required or can I use another brand of oil?

#15 oldcasecoltguy OFFLINE  

oldcasecoltguy

• Member No: 2168
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:51 AM

You can use another brand of oil if you like, but Shell Rotella is used in a lot of over the road diesel applications and you know it is a good quality oil.