• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I Hate Flat Tires OFFLINE  

I Hate Flat Tires
  • Member No: 65412
  • 8 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hey Folks,  I have developing health issues, and decided to "Thin The Herd" to something more manageable, like 2...1 for snow & 1 to mow!!

A while back I picked up a Craftsman "Indy 500" 18hp model.  This is a "Consumer Model" as I call it; meaning it has the "Special Edition" plaque & decals, but NOT a "Speedway Used" model.  

I am attaching a few pic's to judge condition, but what I need to know is "WHAT ARE THESE WORTH???"  I have a buyer lined up who is an old friend, but I can find very little about these...in fact I only suspect it is from the 1992 Model year from other posts on GT.

The model number is 917-255918, serial 1029S01***, it is the 18hp Briggs model with manual trans & hi-lo.  If anyone has any info on these tractors, or can give me a "Ball Park" range on prices, please let me know.

I will ad, The pics are the ones the original seller sent me.  It fires right up, no smoke, knocks, noises, and has new Kevlar belts & battery and someone added iron wheel weights.  Otherwise it is 100% original.  (The spill on the hood washed right off)  The person had parked it inside for 5-6 years due to a bad "Bosch Interlock Relay".

I'm just at a loss finding much info, even dating by serial number...seems maybe Sears used a "mixed lot" when producing these?

THANKS!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• sears 500.jpg
  • sears 500 2.jpg
  • sears 500 4.jpg
  • sears 500 5.jpg
  • sears 500 7.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, EricFromPa, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 05:06 PM

Welcome,

Sorry to hear of your health issues

If your not sure of a price best thing to do is sell it as a "Make offer" sale and go from there.

Pricing varies across the country

• Lauber1 said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 06:33 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Prices on those are all over the place.I've seen them listed for sale from $250 up to $1200.

There's one for sale pretty close to me with a Snow blade,good solid deck and a bagger that needs a starter for $250.

http://classifieds.p...adindex=3243030

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Without the decals it looks a lot like my Hulk II, I purchased him (not running) for $80.00. Sense I have restored and added a sleve hitch and blade. If I were to sell I would start at 1,500.00

Attached Thumbnails

• hulk 3.JPG
  • P1060890.JPG

• EricFromPa said thank you

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:06 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Prices on those are all over the place.I've seen them listed for sale from $250 up to $1200.

There's one for sale pretty close to me with a Snow blade,good solid deck and a bagger that needs a starter for $250.

http://classifieds.p...adindex=3243030

That one is a different newer model then these that are a little more known.

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 12:17 AM

I have had a few of these and they are nice special edition models. I believe every one that I had was used at the speedway ( They all had the plaque). Crazy thing is there isn't much of a collector interest or market on these. One the other hand the Wheel Horse Indy 500 edition models are sought after and I don't understand that either. This is from a Wheel Horse nut too ! The Wheel Horse version was the short frame base model with a 6hp Tecky engine and 3 speed trans. These were not the ones that Wheel Horse used at the track either. They used long frame Kohler powered tractor 8 speeds and hydro's ( in earlier years they used the round hood,and short frame tractors because that was what Wheel Had at that time. ) Anyway I really don't think the Indy 500 Craftsman get the attention that they deserve. With that said,the wheel weights are worth around $100. The tractor if it runs,mows and operates good I would say with weights is worth around $500. If you search the Craftsman forum here and at the other big forum,you will find my posts over the years.

#7 I Hate Flat Tires OFFLINE  

I Hate Flat Tires
  • Member No: 65412
  • 8 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks everybody!!!  First off, I am super impressed with the "GTTalk" website and participation!!!  Y'all Rock!!!

I was able to find out that sears used the "Julian Calendar" for dating these...it is somewhat confusing.  I'll post the breakdown ASAP.  I have a Dr appt this afternoon.

THANKS FOR THE WELL WISHES FROM EVERYONE!!!!!!!!  My condition is one that will only decline, but I'm fighting a complication now... But, you can bet I'll go KICKIN' & SCREAMIN' when I do!!!

• rustyoldjunk, KennyP, drbish and 1 other said thanks

#8 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 07:54 PM

The Julian Calendar is simple. Jan. 1 is 001, Jan. 2 is 002, Jan. 31 is 031, Feb. 1 is 032, Dec. 31 is 365 . Google Julian calendar and one will show up.

Get well.