• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 07:09 AM

That is looking very nice, Pete! Your Dad will love it!

#77 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Pete awesome job so far, dad's going to love it.  One question, where's the engine?  :smilewink:  Is that getting a full rebuild or just a refresh? okay that's 2 questions.

• petrj6 said thank you

#78 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 01:25 PM

me and dad rebuilt the engine last summer but got it a little wrong.  I had the motor bored where I work and they did it a little small so when I installed the rings for the first run everything was to tight.  I had to re-hone it out two or three times to get the clearances correct and by that time there was to much of a ring gap.  I got new rings but dad really wanted to go and use it so we left the old rings in there and by the end of the summer it was smoking under load when hot.  I actually just brought it in this afternoon to start on it.  going to re-ring it and put new seals around the governor and points shaft so they will not leak any more.

Basically this it was our first motor rebuild and it went a little rough.   thank you everybody for your kind words, dad is on his way home this week and will be here in a few weeks so I need to get going and wrap this up.

Pete

• Texas Deere and Horse, TomLGT195 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#79 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 08, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Had a good day today, spent the entire day working on dads tractor. got allot done and am almost complete I only have a few things left.  completely wired with all the new switches.  put my new inner wheel bearings in, thank you bolens100. got out one of my new light bars and put that on there, polished the grille side plates and finished all that up. overall just had a very good day and got allot done.  most of the decals are on and it looks great.

Very nice work!

Edited by Gabriel, March 08, 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#80 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 11, 2015 - 07:45 PM

Had Monday of so I tore in to the motor while I was hanging around, got it all disassembled to look at what I needed to replace again. already have the rings so I went ahead and ordered the rest of the stuff up.  replacing the bushings for the points plunger and governor shaft, also need to replace the plug that holds the cam in place.  al three were leaking oil and I really don't want this engine to leak oil in that brand new tractor !!!  while I have it apart I will blast all the tinwork and repaint it so the entire thing will look brand new  :thumbs:  there was allot of carbon buildup in there due to excessive ring gap, especially when you think we only mowed with this for one summer before the teardown.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 007.JPG
  • 011.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#81 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 03:27 PM

Pete, this pic answers your question regarding the plunger bushing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150317_162331-1.jpg

• KennyP and petrj6 have said thanks

#82 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 02:38 PM

so dad got home last week and was super exited to see his tractor as far as I got it. slowing way down now, to much other stuff going on.  ordered all the stuff for the motor just need to wait for it to come in and get the engine back together and painted.  I did get the hood wing nuts made up and polished they look great, the stainless will last forever polished like that.  the seat is all mounted on and ready to go.  Started on the mower deck today as well, need to get that all rebuilt and repainted.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• 008.JPG
  • 009.JPG
  • 012.JPG
  • 006.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#83 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 04:22 PM

I did get the hood wing nuts made up and polished they look great, the stainless will last forever polished like that.  the seat is all mounted on and ready to go.  Started on the mower deck today as well, need to get that all rebuilt and repainted.

Pete

I need to get some of those hood bolts for mine someday. You could make some good money reproducing them.

• petrj6 said thank you

#84 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 06:08 PM

It's really coming along Pete, and your dad will enjoy it for sure! Great job on the hood bolts man! I was just looking up the bearing part number for my 42" deck. I have to rebuild the mandrel before the grass starts growing.
  • petrj6 said thank you

#85 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I have thought about making those hood bolts and selling them but they take awhile to get done.  I have about 5 hours into making this set, if I had my own lathe here to work on I would give it a shot.  I do have a set of old ones here but they are not in that good of cond.pm me if interested.

Pete

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#86 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Hey Pete, what did you use for the base of the bolt and do you have a knurling head for a lathe? I want to make some for myself and have all the tooling, just wanted to know what you started with. Thanks and the "B" really looks great!

#87 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 14, 2015 - 04:55 AM

after a month of I am back at this again, took the mower deck to work and sandblasted and painted it.  need to reassemble and paint again this week, parts are on the way.  the engine is at the shop getting the valves done, hopefully they can get it done this week so I have time to get it reassembled and painted for the zagray farm show.

Attached Thumbnails

• 005.JPG
  • 006.JPG
  • 007.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#88 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Are you bringing it to Zagray? If its done of course. 

• petrj6 said thank you

#89 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Yep, if I cant get the engine out of the shop before the show I am going to put a different engine in there for the show.  me and dad will be coming down with the trailer to get that massey and then on to the show.

Pete 

#90 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 04:24 PM

cool