#46 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 04:36 PM

petrj6 let me know how good the decals stick when you put them on. I might have to get some soon. thanks

• TenPn said thank you

#47 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to re-furbish the steering wheel on this tractor ?  I have two very nice steering wheels but they will need to be recoated somehow .  thoughts

Pete

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#48 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,460 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Sand, prime, and paint the steering wheel with the same paint you use for dash, wheels, etc. I used rustoleum almond paint on mine and it's holding up great. It's all in the prep as you already know. I don't have a close up, but here it is. Also, if there are cracks or gouges, open them up with a dremel and use JB weld putty to fill them in, then sand smooth.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140922_123709-1-1.jpg

Edited by classic, February 03, 2015 - 09:48 PM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#49 ACmowerguy ONLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 297 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted February 04, 2015 - 10:15 PM

The steering wheel is the same one used on an Allis "G" farm tractor. Brand new reproduction steering wheels are readily available for $30-$50. Check eBay or Steiner. I repaired the wheel on my Simplicity 700 eight years ago with JB weld but it started cracking again within a few years.

• petrj6 said thank you

#50 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:14 PM

ACmowerguy I have seen those new wheels for sale but I wanted to keep the wheel white, I am going to try what classic suggested clean one of my good steering wheel up real good and paint it with automotive paint.  see how it holds up.

Been a little slow here, really cold outside and I am waiting to get tires, I am getting a set from thecoventryplumber for shows and am going to buy a new set for daily use but they are expensive.  got all the rims painted along with  the dash and they came out god.  need to sand and repaint the dash to get a nice finish to it.001.JPG 002.JPG

Doing lots of the small stuff, re-built the lower mower clutch assy and re-painted it.  had to re-make the clutch arm and guard as they were either worn out or non existent on dads machine. even got the rear hitch group all painted and re-assembled.  003.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG

Got the chassis back down to work with a little help from my brother in law and will try to get that ready for its final coat of paint this week.  then I can begin the final assy.

Pete

• Texas Deere and Horse, TomLGT195, VintageIronCollector and 1 other said thanks

#51 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Going slow now, need to get lots of small things done and they are time consuming.  working on all the chrome work, I am going to re-make most of it with stainless and polish it, pics to come.  Got the material in today to make the foot pads, they look good.   I making extra's of everything here and putting them on e-bay so if there is something someone wants let me know and I will give members a great deal.

Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG

• VintageIronCollector and Gabriel have said thanks

#52 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:22 PM

You're making great progress and it looks great so far. Are you still looking for a hood?

• petrj6 said thank you

#53 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Thank you farmerall but I was able to straighten out the hood good enough to do the job.  I am going to start sanding on it soon for the final coat off paint.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#54 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Looking good Peter. That Allis is going to be a beauty when is done. Keep it up

#55 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Really looking good Pete. Your Dad is going to be so proud of that tractor. :thumbs:

#56 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Going slow now, need to get lots of small things done and they are time consuming.  working on all the chrome work, I am going to re-make most of it with stainless and polish it, pics to come.  Got the material in today to make the foot pads, they look good.   I making extra's of everything here and putting them on e-bay so if there is something someone wants let me know and I will give members a great deal.

Pete

PM me on a price on the footrest treads. Thank you

#57 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,220 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Making more stuff for the tractor now, I made new side rails for the grille out of stainless, looking or a replacement piece o perforated aluminum, I have a good line on one from e-bay..  working on the lift handle, going to replace that with stainless to polish up to a mirror finish. the original chrome was ok but not good enough for what I wanted and someone took a wire wheel to the lift handle so that was not fixable it was either paint it or replace it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.JPG
  • 005.JPG
  • 009.JPG

• Alc, VintageIronCollector, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#58 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Making more stuff for the tractor now, I made new side rails for the grille out of stainless, looking or a replacement piece o perforated aluminum, I have a good line on one from e-bay..  working on the lift handle, going to replace that with stainless to polish up to a mirror finish. the original chrome was ok but not good enough for what I wanted and someone took a wire wheel to the lift handle so that was not fixable it was either paint it or replace it.

IF you made the grille sides for a b212 out of stainless I'd love some for mine. thanks

#59 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:42 PM

I've got 5 B series tractors. I'd be interested in that too.

#60 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Nice looking grille!