• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davecarp OFFLINE  

davecarp
  • Member No: 65376
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I am working on a GT-18 that was in a Barn for 10 years. Put in a new Battery to see if it would turn over and does not. Strange thing there is power to both sides of solenoid without key in start position (and power to starter also) The solenoid clicks when I turn the key and also hear a intermittent clicking from hour meter area constantly while battery is hooked up. Have never seen power to both poles without turning the key...any thoughts ?

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to the forum!

You're going to need to start checking your wiring.  Sounds to me like you have either a bad switch or a bad solenoid first.  If the setup is like most tractors, there is only one wire there (to the starter), and power should not be able to get to that post unless power is to the trigger terminal.  I would disconnect the trigger wire and see what happens. 

After that, you need to figure out why the starter is not cranking all the time if it has power.

Ben W.

• davecarp said thank you

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:57 PM

If one of your test leads is grounded the other lead will show voltage on both terminals of the solenoid if it's powered up. Sounds like you might have something down stream from there that is open. Maybe the clutch pedal isn't depressed far enough. 

The contacts in your switch might be welded shut. Most hour meters that I have do make a clicking sound. Mouse Pee is nasty stuff and can cause corrosion and electrical problems. 

Edited by Cvans, December 28, 2014 - 09:01 PM.

• davecarp said thank you

#4 davecarp OFFLINE  

davecarp
  • Member No: 65376
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 07:08 AM

First thing I did was replace solenoid, same issue gonna unhook trigger wire and follow from there, starter is probably set up, doesn't look like you can replace it without pulling engine out? wiring behind the dash looks like a fun time! thank you for the help would really like to restore the GT

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 11:03 AM

Your correct, The engine must come out to work on the starter. The commutator on my starter was dirty. After cleaning it works fine.

Place a jumper wire between the positive post of the battery and the small terminal on the starter bendix. This will bypass all safety switches and starter switch. The starter should pull in. By using the + battery post instead of the large post on the starter you eliminate the chance of a poor connection  between the battery and the starter.

• Alc, HDWildBill and davecarp have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 06:00 PM

yeah I have to pay my starter on my GT 19 too, not lookin forward to pulling the motor "just" to fix. In my case, I think my Bendix is bad, it always spins but doesn't always spin out to engage the flywheel.   

• Cvans and davecarp have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Check your rear main seal while in there. If it is leaking the flywheel will sling oil on the bendix which will collect dirt and then not function properly. Good luck.

• Alc, HDWildBill and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 11:25 PM

I remember my neighbor with his 70s Sears Roper-built machines with the Onans/ seems he was swapping starters once a year for similar issues, whether he or I took them apart and cleaned them ourselves or farmed out the starter repair to the local starter/alternator shop the result was about the same. I swapped starters for him at least as often as he swapped his own; no motor removal even on his FF needed on those.... I know that when I used his machines I got tired of looking for something to smack the starter with while it spun,  so the Bendix would work and crank the engine. On my GT 19, I can't even see the starter at all with the engine in place.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's funny you mention "smacking the starter" as I kept a railroad spike on the tractor to encourage the starter with. About 70% of the time it would turn fine but once in awhile it would just click. A small tap with the spike would get it spinning again.  :smilewink:  I'm hoping those days are behind me now. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 TDNeurau OFFLINE  

TDNeurau
  • Member No: 67798
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 01:47 PM

Backing Cvans on his comment about the main rear seal...

I pulled my engine after oil blew everywhere.  After pulling the motor and flywheel, it was obvious that the shaft seal had gotten pushed out.  Talking with a local Ariens service shop to get the new seal, they commented that it is common on the Kohler Magnum.

Recommendation, do not follow the oil capacity.  do not overfill the crank with oil.  Follow the recommendations on oil type/weight.

Good luck!

• dodge trucker said thank you