Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

New Deere for the herd and new to 400 series


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

    Nut Case

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted December 28, 2014 - 12:40 PM

It seems every time I tell myself I'm done buying this happens. I picked up the 420. I got it through a little trading. Came with a 60" deck and most 99 the 3 point. Runs great but was victim of a fire. Burnt all the wiring and the PO redid a bunch. Though he got it going, I'm going to pull the engine and install a factory replacement harness. It has some gremlins in there and figured it would be worth it. It is a p220 but he converted it to points due to the coil being burnt up. The points/coil were available to him. Anyone have the dimensions of the lower 3 point arms? I have a few piece that may work as replacement. I also have all the pieces missing in the pics except for the 3 point arms. Here are a couple pics.

Eric

PS: the 990 I found a couple weeks ago is peeking in the pic. Her time will come.

Attached Thumbnails

  • uploadfromtaptalk1419788339862.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419788354891.jpg

Edited by dropped82, December 28, 2014 - 12:47 PM.

  • york0060, grnspot110, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts
  • Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted December 28, 2014 - 01:50 PM

That looks to be in good shape.  Did the tractor itself catch on fire or did the wiring just get burnt up?  It really doesn't show much damage.

 

Ben W.


  • dropped82 said thank you

#3 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

    Nut Case

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted December 28, 2014 - 04:08 PM

I don't really know for sure. The hood shows no signs off damage. Although there seems to be some residue on the inside bottom of the side panel. I will shoot a pic a little later of it. It runs really well but doesn't charge. Also, needs headlight and pto wiring. I was actually thinking of keeping it points. I don't really know the condition of the trigger module. Would a harness from a 318 also fit? Seems a little more common harness to accommodate a B series engine.

#4 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

    Member

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts
  • Location: Southwest MO.

Posted January 05, 2015 - 02:24 PM

3 pt drawings

Attached Files


  • dropped82 said thank you

#5 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

    Nut Case

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted January 05, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for that. Those are a big help.

Eric

#6 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

    Nut Case

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted January 09, 2015 - 01:40 AM

Got my replacement harness in. Now to pull the engine so I can install it. The harness I got has almost all the switches including the ignition. Reason being is I'm going to keep the points on the P220 since fixing the electronic ignition is gonna cost me twice as much. It runs great on the points. My main question is about the box behind the dash. I'm assuming that's the delay module I guess? Does it stay with the points igniton? Anyone have a wiring diagram of the early 420's with the b48g in them? Thanks

Eric

#7 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

    Nut Case

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts
  • Location: Indiana

Posted March 31, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I figured I would ad some pics of the progress I've made. These are in chronological order. First few show the 420 after removing the engine. Next shows the engine stripped and ready for decarbon and gaskets. Also replaced the oil pan and filter adapter gaskets The next shows the engine back in with all the tin. I was glad to have them all considering there was only a shroud when I first got it. I didn't have any pics of the chassis after I pressured washed everything. Forgot to take some. I'm gonna work it most the summer. If all goes well, I'm gonna repaint all the green and repaint the engine tins. I just need to make sure the bugs are gone.
uploadfromtaptalk1427850068381.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427850309760.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427850516799.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427850452402.jpg

Enjoy!

Eric
  • Gabriel said thank you




Top