• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to tackle the ignition switch, turn signal switch and air bag clockspring all at one shot. Makes the most sense since the steering wheel is going to have to come off anyway.

I am not 100% sure if it needs ball joints or not. Most of the problem is loose steering which if the steering box can be adjusted this may take care of it. I will check the ball joints once I get it up in the air.

• KennyP said thank you

#17 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Now I am not recommending this but a fellow I know removed the instrument cluster to "delete" that annoying air bag light for inspection.  Our vehicle inspection is only due at purchase point. After that maintenance and repair is optional..  I don't even recall air bags on the '94 F150 I rolled through the shop.. It had a 6 Cyl, 5 speed, 4x4. I did the usual patch the gaping hole in the drivers side floor and squirted a coat of paint on truck and sold before the paint set. 

Edited by Jazz, December 30, 2014 - 03:17 PM.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm thankful to be living in a state that doesn't have safety inspections! Ignition switch even?? I can pull the key out of any one of my trucks while running---LOL! SD did away with inspection bureaucracy in 1979, one of my GMC's still has the remains of the last sticker! I don't own anything new enough to have an airbag so can't help there.

Wish you lived closer, George. I'd let you use my ball joint / king pin / u-joint press. My son has an '83 C10 and when he went to buy new tires and get a front end alignment they told him the pitman arm and lower ball joints needed replaced to the tune of just under $800 bucks on top of the tires and alignment. That would total the dang truck! My son ain't a car guy so I saw an angle---I found the puller, press, forks for my air chisel along with the parts on Amazon for about $225 for everything. I told him to buy the stuff, I keep the tools and it will get done when he is home for Thanksgiving. Saturday after TG my brother-in-law showed up to have a cold one so I put him to work and we had it done in 3 hours. Would have probably taken 5 or so alone.

Good luck on getting it ready for inspection!

DAC

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I ordered the ignition cylinder, airbag clockspring and the turn signal / wiper switch. Actually received the ignition cylinder already and will be putting that in tomorrow since it seems so easy to replace. Plus I can get the keys cut at work for the door locks. 

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I'm thankful to be living in a state that doesn't have safety inspections!

DAC

We don't here in ohio. I love it and hate it.

I am responsible with my cars. Safe for me, my family and others around me. I am accountable for myself like all of you guys most likely are.

I can't count how many times I've seen wrecks almost caused by cars that shouldn't even be on the road. Seen a guy speeding through town and a light turned red he slammed on his brakes and instantly went around backwards because only one of his brakes worked and locked solid.

My wife pointed out a truck today when we were coming home from the hospital that looked like it had hit a solid object very hard. The frame was twisted and the right front wheel was on the ground and the left off the ground. The left rear was on the ground and the right rear was off. He was in the passing lane flying. The truck would switch off which 2 wheels was on the ground in a rocking motion.

In my travels in wv you rarely see an older than late 90s vehicle. All of them are well maintained.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 02, 2015 - 09:16 PM.

• NUTNDUN, wvbuzzmaster, truck21 and 1 other said thanks

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:27 PM

We don't here in ohio. I love it and hate it.
I am responsible with my cars. Safe for me, my family and others around me. I am accountable for myself like all of you guys most likely are.
I can't count how many times I've seen wrecks almost caused by cars that shouldn't even be on the road. Seen a guy speeding through town and a light turned red he slammed on his brakes and instantly went around backwards because only one of his brakes worked and locked solid.
My wife pointed out a truck today when we were coming home from the hospital that looked like it had hit a solid object very hard. The frame was twisted and the right front wheel was on the ground and the left off the ground. The left rear was on the ground and the right rear was off. He was in the passing lane flying. The truck would switch off which 2 wheels was on the ground in a rocking motion.
In my travels in wv you rarely see an older than late 90s vehicle. All of them are well maintained.

I quit buying trucks from Ohio for similar reasons. With No inspections mandated I had to lose money selling "woods buggies". Granted they were not dangerous for me to drive, but not safe for anyone unable to predict them. And to be clear these trucks I bought were fixer uppers when I bought them.
Granted, there are honest folks in Ohio that sell well maintained vehicles, I just wasnt fortunate enough to deal with any of the honest sellers when purchasing used trucks. Due to my inability to judge strangers, I stick to buying vehicles in states that have inspections. I hate inspections because they are a joke to those of us that maintain our vehicles properly, but necessary to get the real junk off the roads, at least in some states.

PS to George: Good luck with the repairs to your truck, and if you think I went too far off topic (or receive a complaint) feel free to edit my reply.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:30 PM

PS to George: Good luck with the repairs to your truck, and if you think I went too far off topic (or receive a complaint) feel free to edit my reply.

I won't edit. Just give you another point LOL. j/k

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:34 PM

I won't edit. Just give you another point LOL. j/k

Comic genius isn't it, and at least I have warning of a possible prank warning point this time. :poke: Those late night warning points when the day was rough can really throw someone off their game. Isn't that right Alan. :poke:

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:42 PM

I quit buying trucks from Ohio for similar reasons. With No inspections mandated I had to lose money selling "woods buggies". Granted they were not dangerous for me to drive, but not safe for anyone unable to predict them. And to be clear these trucks I bought were fixer uppers when I bought them.
Granted, there are honest folks in Ohio that sell well maintained vehicles, I just wasnt fortunate enough to deal with any of the honest sellers when purchasing used trucks. Due to my inability to judge strangers, I stick to buying vehicles in states that have inspections. I hate inspections because they are a joke to those of us that maintain our vehicles properly, but necessary to get the real junk off the roads, at least in some states.

My last vehicles have all bought from wv. Wv has strict lemon laws and dealers are VERY careful with what they sell.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:49 PM

My last vehicles have all bought from wv. Wv has strict lemon laws and dealers are VERY careful with what they sell.

I bought my last vehicle (used) off a dealer. I paid a little more that way but at least it came with extended warranty. Of course the dealership tat handled my warranty work screwed me a couple times (missed a Ball Hollow in 2013 and $800 bucks of warranty work this year after my warranty ran out.) I bought my Ford at a Toyota dealer.
  • MH81 said thank you