• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:19 AM

I wanted to start a new thread on trying to rebuild hydraulic cylinders. I have a thread a couple below this one about Rebuilding a hydraulic spool valve for a Johnson Loader and after tearing the spool valve apart there isn't really anything I can do with it. I am going to try and get a hydraulic pressure gauge and tee fitting today if I can. 

All this got me to thinking if rebuilding the hydraulic cylinders is something that I can do or if I am better off having a shop that specializes in hydraulic repair rebuild them? I don't really have the extra money to be putting in to it right now so if it is something I can do I would love to try.

I have torn apart bigger cylinders for 200+ ton hydraulic presses but with them having the external end plate bolts it makes it much easier. On these little cylinders I don't know if it is just a matter of removing the seals at the end and sliding the piston out or what.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:43 AM

I think that would depend on the cylinder design. Got any pics of the ones you are looking at rebuilding? I think you have a camera somewhere about!

• NUTNDUN and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I think you have a camera somewhere about!

What makes you think we have a camera?

I am going to get some time in the garage today and I plan on removing the main lift cylinders from the tractor whether I try and rebuild them myself or take them somewhere and I will get some pics of them.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 10:42 AM

The ones I have done were pretty easy.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 01:42 PM

On a lot of the little ones the cap (I think hydraulic guys call it a "gland") unscrews and comes off the rod.  At that point, the worst part is finding the right seal kit.

Ben W.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 02:04 PM

Aren't some w/out outer ends to unscrew welded up and need to be cut on weld to split? Kinda not rebuildable then? OR, if you look into end space and see an o-ring around outer edge, that should come out and the insides slip out then??  Kits are maybe the problems with most.  There are generic cylinders that just use common o-rings and need to just find those. Must be oil-resistant matirial tho, watch that. If there are seals with special wipe surfaces and such, then it gets more complicated and you need the correct kit that should have those. Might be that many now days are throw-aways, not really to fix, just replace, so no kits offered for many.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I never did make it out to the garage yesterday. Going to try and get at least one of the cylinders off tonight when I get home from work.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 03:29 PM

I removed the main lift cylinders today. I ended up getting oil all over the place. When I went to take the first cylinder off most cylinder shafts will stay put just from the resistance of the piston. After I unhooked the hoses and removed the pivot pins I went to carry the cylinder over to the work bench. Not paying attention both of the fittings are at the housing end of the cylinder and I kept that end up not wanting oil to drain out. With having the rod end down it slid right out and of course you know what happens to the oil.

Once I had it on the bench, I moved the rod back and forth to get as much oil out as possible. I can't believe how easy it is to move and some points it almost sounds like it is metal to metal contact. I don't know if the cylinders will be worth rebuilding but I am almost willing to put money on it that they are my problem.

Here are a couple of pictures of the cylinders. They have a wiper seal at the end. I am guessing this could be removed to gain access to remove the rod and piston? I would think there might be something else in there that needs to be unscrewed or maybe these cylinders can't be rebuilt or are of the type you have to cut the end off?

Massey 1655 Johnson Loader cylinder 2.JPG  Massey 1655 Johnson Loader cylinder 3.JPG  

Massey 1655 Johnson Loader cylinder 4.JPG  Massey 1655 Johnson Loader cylinder.JPG

I also put the spool valve back together and got it mounted up again for now. I will wait to get a new spool valve until I do something with the cylinders. I also took some pics of the Massey 1655 in the shop being worked on. Weird seeing it sitting there without the hood on and the main lift cylinders missing from the loader.

Massey 1655 Loader Valve.JPG  Massey 1655 with loader being worked on.JPG

Massey 1655 Loader cylinder pocket.JPG  Massey 1655 loader cylinder pocket 2.JPG

Massey 1655 loader side.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 05:17 PM

hmmm! prettty small diameter on those. Maybe you will have to knock out that top seal first, see if any kind of plug that unscrews under it?  Other end welded looks pretty permanant. How about cleaning and looking down the sides a bit from top and seeing if maybe a divot or weld spot that is holding in the upper seal or wharever on that end?  Drill or grind that out and it might pop-out with a little force trying to pull the rod/piston?  Just guesses here.  They look light enough, maybe some aftermarket ones from Northern or Surplus will be cheap and not worth fixing the old?  Hardest part is getting the full length to be same or close, but think that could be some diff and still be good.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:04 PM

There will either be a circlip under the seal holding the seal gland, or a longshot...sometimes there is a clip you access through the pressure port next to the glad.  With the port a bit away from the end of the cylinder body, I'm betting the circlip is under the seal.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:38 PM

some have a pin in them that you have to drive out.

#12 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Might be a screw in gland under the wiper, if so you will probably need a spanner wrench to get it out, worked on some larger equipment that had that style and they are a pain.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I am going to give it a go with trying to remove the wiper and see what is under there tomorrow. At least on the one so the shop will have a good one in case I mess up. I was looking at surplus center and nothern tool and not having any luck on cylinders that would work without modifying the mounting tabs.

The measurements I got off the old cylinder are:

Rod diameter: 1.125"

Retracted length between pins: 24"

Extended length between pins: 41"

Pin size both ends: 1/2"

Mounting tab dimensions on wide end: 1 1/2"

Mounting tab dimensions on rod end: 1 1/4"

When I mention the mounting tabs it is the tabs on the loader frame that the cylinder ends sit between.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 01, 2015 - 06:49 PM

I pulled one of the cylinders apart today to make sure it would be rebuildable. Glad I did as it doesn't seem like it has the correct seals it should have on the piston. I took plenty of pics and they will tell most of the story. I also took a bunch of measurements and am coming up empty handed on seal kits. It is a 1.5" bore and a 1.125" rod. The wiper seal they had in there was a National 50151-S. My coworker has an Amish neighbor near him that does hydraulic repair and I am going to take the cylinders to him and see if he has seals that will work on the piston and the gland.

Here are the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0437.JPG
  • DSC_0438.JPG
  • DSC_0439.JPG
  • DSC_0440.JPG
  • DSC_0441.JPG
  • DSC_0443.JPG

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I brought the cylinders in to work yesterday so my coworker could drop them off at the hydraulics shop up by his house. I think they will be a lot cheaper on the seals than the local one here by my work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hydraulic cylinders, hydraulic cylinder repair