coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 06:57 PM

One of my first loves was shooting most any firearm. Whether it was punching holes in paper, making tin cans jump, or trying to put meat in the freezer I wanted to shoot. One of my best christmas presents was a brick of 22s (500rounds). When I was a young adult I started buying guns and I still have most of them. I also got into reloading because with the amount of shooting I was doing I couldnt afford to buy bullets. Our group would reload all week and then on Sunday afternoon we would hit the "back 40" and unload everything we had made during the week. We never got into the serious end of reloading with trying to find the perfect accuracy load or the fastest, we just did it for economy sake. Well life went on and the group kinda dispersed, the back 40 kinda disappeared, and over the next 10 years I sold off all my reloading equipment.

15 years have past and my wife purchased her first pistol last year, we both got our Concelled carry permits and she wants to practice more. Last year when she got her pistol was the first time I had to buy ammo in 15 years and I had sticker shock (still do have it too). What used to be a $20 box of ammo is now $40. So she wasnt going to practice too much at those prices. Well I didnt have time to mess with it much, after all I had tractors that needed to have stuff done and a garden to put in.

I had recieved a nice reloading begginers set for last years christmas, playing with tractors had prevented me from doing anything with it until late summer. Thats when I found out that all my old suppliers where pretty much out of business and I would have to drive some distance to get supplies. So I waited until a gun show to stock up on supplies. Powder was almost impossible to find but I managed to do some home work and found a few that would work with everything That I wanted to load for. Then my jaw dropped again at the price of brass and lead. I guess I am either a cheapskate or getting older and remembering the good ole days, but I wasnt going to be buying much at those prices. Even the mail order houses are charging twice what they used to, when they have stuff instock. I bought enough stuff to get my mouth wet for more.

So here we are at this christmas and hunny bunny is asking me what i would like to have. I didnt really want anything and I was digging around on amazon looking for her some stuff. I ended up looking for myself and found a Lee lead melter and 38/357 bullet molds. I sent her the info and told her that what I wanted. Christmas morning came round and sure enough I got my melter and mold. We ended up not doing the normal running around on Christmas day because my 6 year old has the FLU so we stayed at home. I fired up the pot and casted about 200 158gr SWC bullets. I spent the next day loading most of them up and looking at more molds on amazon. It has felt good to sit at the bench again and making loads up. It is very relaxing. Its great to watch useless lead scrap turn into something that you wil enjoy. My oldest (8yo) come out and helped load some too. The little one is over his flu thanks to tamiflu and hunny bunny has 150 rounds to practice with which cost me less than 8 cents around. Color me happy.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 07:23 PM

My brother and I used to do lot of reloading some years back it's a relaxing hobby.But I know what you mean about the prices of supplys has gone insane.I was going to start doing it again about 2 years ago but no one had the stuff needed glad to hear it's becoming available again.

If your doing your own casting gather all the lead you can, around here I can't even find old lead wheel weights.

• coldone said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have a couple of ham radio buddies that are also into "bang-bangs" and do their own reloading.

I think they go for the really accurate, powerful shots!!

Edited by KC9KAS, December 27, 2014 - 08:05 PM.

• coldone said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Reloading is a fun hobby. Me and dad reloaded for a few years. We reloaded for accuracy and range and we also reloaded for cheap plinking ammo.

at the time the cost of new ammo vs cheap reloads wasn't much difference. But these days...not so much. Never thought I'd see the day that 500 rounds of 12 gauge is cheaper than 500 rounds of 22.
  • coldone, Alc, GTTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Back in the end of 2007 and the start 08 the word "Rummer" was we were going to loose are 2ed amendment.Ya right.. well i was working for a reloading co. And o my god you thought the world was ending. Primers,brass, projectiles , power, were worth more then gold , no sooner it come in ,it was sold and sold by the pallet load . and before i get a point or two i will stop here . But i feel your sticker shock.

• coldone and superaben have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Take the time to tune the reloads to each firearm. I used to shoot an old 03 Springfield. I would get a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards with issue ammo. Tuned reloads got it down to a hair over 1.0 inch. I do the same comparisons that you do. 22 bricks used to be $6 at Kmart 25 years ago and boxes of 9mm UMC were the same. I gave up shooting and a bunch of guns years ago.

Be sure that your lead is not wheel weights, they are too hard. I collected old lead pipe for awhile, that is soft enough to use. Please keep everything locked up. It also sounds like its time to teach the kids safe and accurate firearm handling. Good Luck, Rick

• coldone and Alc have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I used to love target shooting with 22s. Don't do it now. Are there any safety concerns around the fumes when melting down lead. Lead is poison and is particularly bad for children as it impairs nervous system development. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 05:25 PM

http://www.kansasang...com/makeit.html

Yes be careful with the lead.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2014 - 09:46 PM

No worries about fumes, my shop is well ventilated. More worried about molten metal and water or just plain spills.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Target shooting is a nice hobby :thumbs:   When my wife and I started dating we would get a brick of 500 for the 22  , ( funny I think it was from Kmat too lol )   and go to my grandfather's salvage yard and at the rear of the yard they would stack up cars that were ready to be scraped . We would set targets on the doors to shoot at them all day , visit with my grandparents while we were there , boy that brings back some great memories

• coldone said thank you